• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single house bunny Jemima - deprived??

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
Jemima has been spayed for over a month now and is just over 6 months. Shes a french lop so still growing!!

She does however rule the house, I feel that she is a bossy kind of bunny.

She has been single bun since we got her at 8 weeks old. She is VERY happy, I spend most of my time running around with her chasing my feet or on the floor with her flopped next to me/curled up for cuddles.

However I am concerned that we are depriving her of company by not having a second bunny. I feel really guilty about it, but my partner does not want another rabbit as he says she is enough and the house is practically a warren as it is (chewed carpet, hay all over the place etc)

He says getting another rabbit would mean

*double the time needed to be with them
*double the cleaning
*double vet bills
*double maintenance costs i.e. hay, food, megazorb, etc

Basically double everything all round including effort and house cleaning.

Is this true and how can I convince hiim we should get her a husbunny? More importantly, is there any need for us to get her a partner or is she happy on her own?

I keep looking at fat fluffs website and Im sure there must be somebunny we could match her up with??!!!

Advice please xxx

I would say that you wouldnt need to spend double the time with them as they will have each other's company so not need yours as much. Also with cleaning if they have the same space as before you as still cleaning the same place so it wont take double as long:)

I would say that you wouldnt need to spend double the time with them as they will have each other's company so not need yours as much. Also with cleaning if they have the same space as before you as still cleaning the same place so it wont take double as long:)

This is what I thought as Jemima is litter trained as long as we get a litter trained bunny they should use litter trays, obviously would need more litter trays as she fills hers on her own (French lop)

I am worried she wont love me as much if she has one of her own kind :cry:

You wont need to spend double the time with them, they will have each other. You wont spend double the time cleaning :) You would with two single bunnies yes, but not with a pair :) They would use the same litter tray etc.

I think its individual choice. It sounds like your bunny gets lots of attention and she sounds very spoilt :) Ive currently got a male baby conti indoors, hes been really poorly but if he stays indoors, he surely will not be getting a friend! I can tell you that now :lol:

However, i wouldnt leave an outdoor bunny outside alone. Theres nothing like bunny love though :love:

Jemima has been spayed for over a month now and is just over 6 months. Shes a french lop so still growing!!

She does however rule the house, I feel that she is a bossy kind of bunny.

She has been single bun since we got her at 8 weeks old. She is VERY happy, I spend most of my time running around with her chasing my feet or on the floor with her flopped next to me/curled up for cuddles.

However I am concerned that we are depriving her of company by not having a second bunny. I feel really guilty about it, but my partner does not want another rabbit as he says she is enough and the house is practically a warren as it is (chewed carpet, hay all over the place etc)

He says getting another rabbit would mean

*double the time needed to be with them
*double the cleaning
*double vet bills
*double maintenance costs i.e. hay, food, megazorb, etc

Basically double everything all round including effort and house cleaning.

Is this true and how can I convince hiim we should get her a husbunny? More importantly, is there any need for us to get her a partner or is she happy on her own?

I keep looking at fat fluffs website and Im sure there must be somebunny we could match her up with??!!!

Advice please xxx

All the statements I have bolded are not true. Bonded bunnies will not rely on your company as much as they have each other, therefore you will infact spend the same amount of time with them as you did before or even less.

I assume you'd be completely bonding the pair therefore they would share an enclosure/base etc therefore it would not be double the cleaning.

As mentioned about sharing an enclosure; therefore double the megazorb isn't required. With regards to Hay just buy a bale and with regards to food, you won't really notice a difference, maybe 50p extra a week!

The positives of a bunny friend are that bunnies are naturally very social creatures and therefore when you're not there or able to spend time with them, they can become very lonely, agitated and easily bored. A friend will give them someone to love,groom, snuggle and talk to.

If you can afford the vet bills- vaccinations/neuter etc..and have something for emergencies, then go for it. A friend for you bunny is really a fantastic thing :).

xx

Edit : All my bunnies are housebunnies, regardless of if they are in or out, I'd still recommend a friend. All my bunnies before Pepi (RIP) were outdoor, so I can understand both sides. Lenny is getting his beautiful Wife Betty tomorrow and then I will hopefully -providing bonding goes well- have 3 pairs of lovely, snuggly, gorgeous bunsters. :love::love::love::love:

Last edited:
single housebunnies can be very happy ....my housebun has been a single boy for the last 5 yrs but i have recently got him a girly and they love each other sooooo much :love:

he was happy before...but now he is happier ...and he still loves us and still comes for the same fuss and attention that he did before :D

Back