• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit wee on carpet

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hello

My new resuce bun seems to save up his wee until i let him into the bedroom and then he proceeds to do a massive wee on the carpet :shock:

Does anyone know what the best way to get rid of this stain is? I have tried just warm soapy water but I can still smell it. :? Keeping my fingers crossed that litter training won't take too long!

Unfortunately wee tends to stain and also the smell lingers.

Not sure how you are going to react to this but personally I would install a soft vinyl floor and use rugs.

some people suggest white vinegar solution. in my experience, it doesn't solve the problem but it makes you feel you've tried. other people have made it work!

Try spraying on 50/50 white wine vinegar & water. That usually 'fizzes' stains up to the surface. Smells like you're in a chippie tho! :lol:

Have you tried 1001? I've always used that for 'accidents' and it seems to sort it fine.

If Toby Rabbit had an occasional accident, l'd breakup a piece of biological washing powder tablet in an empty jar & add some hot water & wipe my floor or dab my carpet with it.

Be careful, I think it may take the colour out of some floors or carpets ( it hasn't with mine ) but it does take away any smells so he didn't use the same place again.

Have you thought about setting up a litter tray in the room?

White vinegar seems to work for the times Sora decides to pee on the carpet (it's a conscious decision of hers sometimes when left overnight :roll:)

I put a few sheets of something absorbant (kitchen/toilet paper) over the top and stand on it (with shoes on :lol:) a few times which tends to soak up a lot of it. Repeat until you're barely getting anything on the paper, usually takes me 4 or 5 repeats for a particularly large amount of, er, 'liquid'. Then I put sheets down with white vinegar soaked onto it and stand on it again to bring up the last of the stain. I only usually need to do the white vinegar part once, on occasion with one repeat.

This works with a beige carpet, I do not know if it will cause a colour problem with other colours.

(^ This is something I picked up from 'How Clean Is Your House' to clean animal pee off a rug, except I replaced the cleaning agent (think it was bicarb of soda or something) with white vinegar)

I'd go with tigerangel's white vinegar method, it sounds good to me. But then I'd try bicarb after that (it's very good for absorbing smells). I *think* you'd need to wait for the carpet to dry, sprinkle bicarb on and brush it in, leave for 15 mins and then hoover. But I'm just guessing... :lol: See if google has any suggested bicarb recipes.

bicarbonate of soda mixed with laundry powder...put a bit of water in, mix it to a paste, rub it into the carpet, leave it a bit then clean it off.

Make sure you test it in an inconcpicuous area first, because sometimes it bleaches the carpet a little! :oops:

Hello

My new resuce bun seems to save up his wee until i let him into the bedroom and then he proceeds to do a massive wee on the carpet :shock:

Does anyone know what the best way to get rid of this stain is? I have tried just warm soapy water but I can still smell it. :? Keeping my fingers crossed that litter training won't take too long!

My rabbit seems to wee on my carpet quite often, what really does get rid of the smell and stain is the rabbit disinfectant spray you use to clean the cages with. Just spray and rub off and the jobs done. :)

I would stop letting him onto the carpet until he's trained (if you can) because he'll get into the habit of it and think that's where he's meant to go :shock:

White wine vinegar with water mix is good - especially for the smell and does break down the stain. Although for particular repeat offender in same spot, I find using boiling hot water from the kettle mixed with some washing powder is the only thing to get it out. I usually spray a bit of the vingear mix over the top afterwards for good measure.

Back