• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wilson our headtilt bun has a poorly eye - U/D 3rd Jan - doing better

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
Our little headtilt fella Wilson's eye that looks to the ground has always been a bit weepy on occasions since he became poorly - but today the rim round his eye looks very inflamed & has flared up really badly :( It's also weeping a lot more than normal & the inner lids also look very red & sore :( He looks like he's been punched in his eye :cry:

I've bathed it with cooled boiled water, put some tiacil eye drops in & given him some metacam for any pain that it might be causing him. He's also started a course of panacur today (all the buns are on the 9 course at the moment).

I'm going to get him into the vets first thing tomorrow to have it checked out, but I just wondered what other experiences anyone might have with headtilt bunnies who have poorly down eyes. I'm assuming he might be started on antibiotics as well.

Would you be able to let me know how you've treated them please? Have you had anything different to what I've mentioned above?

Not looking forward to taking Wilson to the vets though, because of how he doesn't cope in the car & goes into rolling episodes. I'm also praying it's not the start of him being really poorly with his headtilt again :(

If you could spare any vibes for our little fella please, we would be very grateful xx

ETA - I've just added this pic of Wilson's poorly eye - it's not very clear as our camera isn't very good. Poor little love is obviously feeling very off :cry:

DSCF4343.jpg

Last edited:
Wilson has been through so much already,poor little chap.Sending massive vibes his way and a big hug for you Denise xxxxxxx

have you tried the group at www.onthewonk.co.uk they are a fantastic support group for headtilt bunnies and helped me through my headtilt with bunny siouxsie. they have lots of experience and might be able to give you that extra bit of help you need.

Poor Wilson, I was actually going to pm you to ask about Wilson's eye and whether you had problems with it.

Poor Dinky has had repeated eye infections in hers despite regular bathing and eye drops. The vets have decided the best plan would be to remove it as she has little if any sight in it. However because of her repeated mite infection this has been delayed, but strangely enough her eye has been really good while we have been treating the mites :?

Dave's eye is also a little watery but hasn't needed antibiotics yet. We are having more problems with his lop ear as he is so lively he keeps cutting it as he binkies round the garden :(

Thanks everyone, we really appreciate all you vibes :)

have you tried the group at www.onthewonk.co.uk they are a fantastic support group for headtilt bunnies and helped me through my headtilt with bunny siouxsie. they have lots of experience and might be able to give you that extra bit of help you need.

Thanks Lisa - I never thought of looking on there :oops: Will have a look now :)

Poor Wilson, I was actually going to pm you to ask about Wilson's eye and whether you had problems with it.

Poor Dinky has had repeated eye infections in hers despite regular bathing and eye drops. The vets have decided the best plan would be to remove it as she has little if any sight in it. However because of her repeated mite infection this has been delayed, but strangely enough her eye has been really good while we have been treating the mites :?

Dave's eye is also a little watery but hasn't needed antibiotics yet. We are having more problems with his lop ear as he is so lively he keeps cutting it as he binkies round the garden :(

This is the first time it's really caused any real problems Liz to be fair & I was a bit shocked when I saw it earlier :( We did use tiacil when he first became ill for about 6 weeks & then on & off whenever it's looked a bit sore. But it has never been as bad as this :? I really hope that we're able to sort his eye out without the need for removing it, because I'd be scared to death of him having a GA :(

Glad Dinky & Dave are doing ok with their down eyes - sending extra special snuggles for them both xx

Last edited:
Sending loads of vibes. As if it's not bad enough having to get used to having his head on one side, to have other things affected by it too :cry: Poor bubba. I hope the vets can help him.

Back