• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone let all 8 of my bunnies out !!!!!!!!!!!!

i-love-bunnies

Warren Scout
i left my bunnies warm fed and secure yesterday morning as we were staying out new year only to have a phone call from my neighbour an hour ago saying all 8 of my rabbits were roaming the street !!!!!!!!
when i got home the door had been broken into
luckily i got them all back in safe and managed to fix the door !!!!!!!!!!

So if you last saw them yesterday morning was someone else feeding them and checking on them for you? Only its an awful long time to leave them for!

I am so glad you got them all back safe!

You've done well to catch them all again - sounds as if you were very lucky, and fortunate to have a neighbour who knows your number and thought to ring you. What a relief!

Are any of them unneutered? If so, I would get any females booked into the vets for an emergency spay before any babies develop, otherwise you could well end up with about 30 bunnies very soon!

they are a family unit of a male (neutered) and a female and 6 babies and they all live happily in a wendy house. four of the babies are due to be going to their new homes very soon and two of which i am keeping. the mother is currently due to be spayed probably early february and i will also make the necessary appointments for the two babies i am keeping to have their jabs and be spayed/neutered (i don't know the sex)

and i left them yesterday morning with extra food and topped up water bottles and was due to be home this evening anyway,
i'm just happy to have got them all back safe and sound, the male (a giant lop) just hopped up to me and stopped at my feet :)
three of the babies had gone back into the wendy house and two were caught by my neighbours
the female rabbit Daisy proved to be a bit of a problem as she panicked and got stuck in a prickle bush along with the last missing baby
god what a palava it was gettin them all back
i'm so relieved they're all ok just a bit shaken x x x

they are a family unit of a male (neutered) and a female and 6 babies and they all live happily in a wendy house. four of the babies are due to be going to their new homes very soon and two of which i am keeping. the mother is currently due to be spayed probably early february and i will also make the necessary appointments for the two babies i am keeping to have their jabs and be spayed/neutered (i don't know the sex)

and i left them yesterday morning with extra food and topped up water bottles and was due to be home this evening anyway,
i'm just happy to have got them all back safe and sound, the male (a giant lop) just hopped up to me and stopped at my feet :)
three of the babies had gone back into the wendy house and two were caught by my neighbours
the female rabbit Daisy proved to be a bit of a problem as she panicked and got stuck in a prickle bush along with the last missing baby
god what a palava it was gettin them all back

It really isnt very good to leave them for this length of time, especially if there are younger ones in there. Rabbits will often eat all the food that is available straight away so there might have not been any left this morning for them. What if they had escaped a few hours after you left and no-one had seen them? They would be long gone by the time you got back about 30 hours later!

I am sure you will have learnt your lesson by the scare they have given you this time.

Yeah I bet you are!! How old are the babies? If they're old enough to be going to their new homes, they could soon be old enough to start breeding with each other :? They should stay with mum until at least 8 weeks old and separated by sex by 10 weeks old - it won't be long after that before the babies can get mum or their siblings pregnant, and then you might find that you and the people having babies get more than they bargain for! There are some photos in this thread here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46514 which may help you to sex them :)

This may also help the new owners, especially if any of the bunnies are going to new homes together - which is better for the bunnies as well as they are social animals so best kept together (neutered of course!)

Last edited:
the babies are 9 weeks old and they are going in pairs to two homes - one pair to my sister and one pair to my daughter's pre-school teacher and they ideally want two of the same sex and i have tried sexing them and to me they all look the same
think i may take them to the vet to be sexed.
they were an accidental litter due to me not having the two females i apparently thought i had. i had the male neutered straightaway.

Hiya! Glad you got them all back - what a scary situation! I really recommend padlocking the wendy house in future.

I'm going to get a padlock as soon as I can, I currently have a bolt across the door
and I've been racking my brains thinking who or what it could've been. If it had been a dog or a fox how did they get in a the garden and would they not have killed the rabbits?
I know how the rabbits got out the garden, they went under the back gate.
I'm worried about leaving the house tommorrow now, I'm hoping it wasn't a person because that's just a horrible thing to do :(

Ooo, just to check one thing - you said a teacher is having a couple of the babies? Are they for nursery pets? I'm just kinda worried as they're obviously going to be big buns, with the dad being a giant. Have you checked out the accommodation, and the running space they'll have?

They're not for nursery pets because health and safety rules don't allow pets in pre-school anymore unless fish so they are going to be her private pets. I have not personally checked her accommodation but I have informed her they'll be on the large side and I'm trusting her to look after them properly

It's likely that maybe someone let them out last night because of New Year. I was very worried about my bunnies last night because the streets were crowded with people and they were ripping the windscreen wipers off cars and throwing glass everywhere. I wouldn't have put it past the drunks to have gone into my back garden and let the bunnies out :( I was so worried about it, I could hear the drunk people outside and didn't sleep. You never know what people will do when they're drunk :(

So pleased you got them back safely :)

All our outdoor buns are usually padlocked in at night, but because of the freezing weather we haven't been able to do that for the past 10 days as we couldn't get them open again in the morning. However late last night we got paranoid so I sent Steve out in the cold to lock them all up. Glad I did now

Glad they are back. Is it obvious that its a bunny shed from the outside as it may have been that someone broke in to try and steal from you thinking it was a shed and just left the door open and left knowing it wasnt worth stealing? With all the fireworks and alot of people being away from home its an easy night for thieves to get away with it. I have brought a sign for my shed saying "beware of the bunnies" to make any would-be thiefs aware so they dont feel the need to enter. (the big aviary on the side should help:lol:)

So pleased you got them back safely :)

All our outdoor buns are usually padlocked in at night, but because of the freezing weather we haven't been able to do that for the past 10 days as we couldn't get them open again in the morning. However late last night we got paranoid so I sent Steve out in the cold to lock them all up. Glad I did now

Mine too are padlocked 4 in total! despite my garden being in a quiet area..backed up around some grassed areas and a street lamp right outside my garden, their hutch is under my bedroom window...the thought scares me......you just never know..better to be safe than sorry

I'm going to get a padlock as soon as I can, I currently have a bolt across the door
and I've been racking my brains thinking who or what it could've been. If it had been a dog or a fox how did they get in a the garden and would they not have killed the rabbits?
I know how the rabbits got out the garden, they went under the back gate.
I'm worried about leaving the house tommorrow now, I'm hoping it wasn't a person because that's just a horrible thing to do :(

To be honest it's better if it's a person because it's probably some idiot thinking its a funny drunken new year joke :roll: whereas if it's afox they only want one thing and they will keep coming back until they get it. :( although there's nothing to stop one getting into most gardens, they can climb or jump fences easily.

Definitely agree that padlocks are the way to go though :)

Back