• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding-behavior advice

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
i have been trying to bond my two bunnies star and chester for months!!! I bring them in the house on neutral terriotory and things have improved. I usually have them together for 1 to 2 hours. At first they would fight but for a while now they have started grooming each other...however.... they'll look all happy and content licking away and then chester will start nipping at star,usually her feet or belly and then star gets annouyed and they usually fight (although i don't let it go too far)
They have also started battling for who will get groomed by pushing their noses together and nipping each other. Star will push her head under chesters and will get very annouyed.
There has been no mounting just the nipping and face nudging. I wonder if they haven't sorted out who is boss? chester is extremely relaxed around star and will do happy flops in front of her to be grooms but star isn't as relaxed and doesn't tend to move around much and will just put her head out to be groomed all the time. i am reluctant to let them live together at the moment as i think they will just fight. Chester, although a sweetie had been a bit aggressive with his past partner who was a very dominant bunny.
any thoughts....
bonding3.jpg

Unless a big fight breaks out you ought to leave them together rather only give them a few hours together. My bonded bunnies nip, Hattie especially.. Nips and chases the others at feeding time when she gets too excited.

i have thought about doing this but i am afraid too as chester did get into a couple of fights with his last partner which drew blood so i am a little worried about trusting him until i know they have a strong bond. I am thinkiong about keeping them inside for a full day and give them feeding times etc to see how they go...just have to find the time to watch them!

I think you are more likely to have fights if you are seperating then re-introducing them constantly.. they don't have time to build up a trust and get used to living together.

I couldn't leave Bugs and Roo alone at first because Roo was aggressive and Bugs too humpy. So i kept them together but seperate, day and night.. i used a pen, seperated with a partition down the middle and let them out together every hour or so for 5 mins then increased it to 10, 15 etc. It took around two weeks before i felt it was safe to leave them alone at night, but they are inseperable now.

You need to put them together in a very confined space (like an indoor cage) for at least 48 hours, keeping an eye on them and not separating them unless there is serious fighting. No litter tray, just some hay, water bowl and food. Then you can gradually increase their space. There are good indicators for them though (grooming etc). I have bonded 4 times successfully with this method, including 1 trio.

I think you are more likely to have fights if you are seperating then re-introducing them constantly.. they don't have time to build up a trust and get used to living together.

I have to agree.
It sounds like you are nearly there & longer time together to work things out is needed.
I think some bunny couples do nip & chase more than others & its something you have to be brave & work through, stressful as it is.

Your bunnies look lovely BTW. :love:

Back