• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runny poos

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
What could cause runny poos if there have been no dietary changes?

Bugsy my 8 yr old bunny has had very soft poos for the last few days :?

There may be a couple of things going on then. One that he is not eating enough crude fibre (hay) and so he has some dysbiosis in his caecum (the caecotroph factory !!). A poor/reduced hay intake can be indicative of Dental problems. Even if he has never had Dental problems before he is of an age where the 'mechanics' of his jaw change leading to a slight molar malocclusion and thus overgrown molars and/or molar spurs.

The fact that he is not keeping himself clean may be due to some age related arthritic pain in his spine or another 'symptom' of mouth discomfort. If arthritis were to be confirmed by your Vet then giving him some Metacam every day should help.

So I would ask your Vet to give him a thorough check-up to see if any of the above applies :)

ok thanks Jane.

Bugs has never been a brilliant hay eater but to date his teeth have been fine ,I've put some bio lapis in his water today as well ,cant do any harm.

Back