• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for rabbit owners, new and old.

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I have noticed quite a few new members on the forum. What advice would you give to rabbit owners new and old. I thought it would be good to share advice and info etc

Personally my advice would be read around before getting your rabbit, if possible, I spent so much on unsuitable setups, as I didn't know about minimum space for buns

buy hay from a farmer/in bales, its so much cheaper and nicer than pets at home stuff.

Most of all, on the first day your rabbit comes home, phone your insurance company and get insurance set up. I have spent so much on dentals for Cherry, when some of it could have been covered by the insurance she has :(

Panacur your rabbits regularly, and keep up to date with vaccinations.

Learn to understand your rabbit and its behavior, they are unlike any other animal, but they are so rewarding.

send them back before you get too attached and they break your heart ;)

but if you do keep them and you lose your heart and soul to them.. treasure everyday because they are too delicate to take for granted. :love::love:

NEVER let a vet tell you to see how they are overnight and bring em in tomorrow if they have stopped eating, and if the do get a new vet..

sorry to take your fave saying Jane but PAIN RELIEF AND FLUIDS are a must if your bunny stops eating

if you know deep in the gut something aint right keep on at the vets, Pearls heart issue has taught me that, i dont think i pushed enough for a diagnosis :cry::cry:

Anything you leave on the floor is fair game for them.

Get them a little friend all of their own.

Read everything you can and learn their body language

Dont pick them up unless you absolutely have to, let them come to you.

Dont expect them to like cuddles.

For anyone considering bunnies, don't believe the common lie that they are cheap, easy childrens pets. Mine have cost me and my parents thousands over the years (though they have been worth every penny). And I certainly wouldn't recommend such a complex animal as a childs pet.

To new owners it is essential to learn about illnesses - when I started out I bought loads of books and not a single one mentioned stasis or any of the essential info on illnesses, because of that I lost two bunnies that I could have saved, if I only knew the signs.

Also if you don't already have one, find a bunny savvy vet.

For anyone considering bunnies, don't believe the common lie that they are cheap, easy childrens pets. Mine have cost me and my parents thousands over the years (though they have been worth every penny). .

:lol::lol:mine have cost me £1000's in the past year, what with their superdouper set up and Cherry's vet fees!

Don't underestimate the rabbit! Given space, love and the correct care, they are the most wonderful creatures and certainly worth more than to be just stuck in a hutch at the bottom of the garden all alone.

Mine too have cost us £1000's (and that's just in the last 2 years!) BUT worth every penny.

For the sake of around £60 a year, don't risk not getting your bunny vaccinated.

Get you bunny neutered, whether boy or girl.

Get your bunny a friend, of their own kind! NEVER house rabbits and guinea pigs together!

Get to know your bunny so you can notice any signs that something isn't right.

Take your bunny to a rabbit savvy vet as soon as you feel that something is wrong. Even if you cannot put your finger on it, listen to your gut instincts as they are usually right and you have nothing to lose if you're wrong.

things ive learnt:

never under-estimate a bunny! if you think a gate or block looks big enough to stop bunny going somewhere add another two foot!

rabbits that like to chew, CHEW! and dont stop, steve chews every bit of wood in sight! 3 months = 2 hutches, one shed, run posts, bench leg......bare in mind if buying/adopting a bunny

find a good vet. its worth it in the end.

rabbits can be stubborn. and hard work and they arnt cheap if you look after them properly.

i got steve by accident, he was a stray we picked up at work and i wasnt looking for a pet but now i:love:him loads
he is the most rewarding pet i have ever had, including my dogs!

Find a decent vet, one who knows what they are doing, one who is willing to try 'unconventional' approaches, one who takes the time to talk things through with you, will answer questions and will support you every step of the way :)

Hay, hay and more hay. Prevention is better than a cure when it comes to dentals.

Also that once you have bunnies you will always be bunny mad :)

LOL ..................:lol: Dont they just rule - Mr pips (bunny) in our house rules the two cats and the two dogs. He believes everything in house garden and garage belongs to him and him alone and all the other pets give him a very wide berth....

Treasure the moments and the laughs they give you, they are addictive for real :love::love::love:

The most important thing I learnt about bunnies:

If you think they "don't like you" or they scratch or nip or run away from you, it is because they are SCARED not because they're mean. If you spend quality time with them on their level, giving them treats and stroking them, it may take a long time, but you WILL win them round. You get back what you put in to rabbits. You shouldn't expect to bring home a delightful ball of fluff for constant entertainment for you and the kids, you have to give them UNCONDITIONAL love before they begin to trust you.

The most important thing I learnt about bunnies:

If you think they "don't like you" or they scratch or nip or run away from you, it is because they are SCARED not because they're mean. If you spend quality time with them on their level, giving them treats and stroking them, it may take a long time, but you WILL win them round. You get back what you put in to rabbits. You shouldn't expect to bring home a delightful ball of fluff for constant entertainment for you and the kids, you have to give them UNCONDITIONAL love before they begin to trust you.

Alvin will never love me :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

he does tolerate me tho :D

My advice would be to try and 'think bunny' and try to anticipate what they may do in the way of chewing, escaping and getting into danger. Make sure anything unsuitable that may interest bunny teefs is out of the way, and everything is safe and secure.

Back