• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could it be Arthritis?

My lovely old bun has got an odd back leg which also has a slightly misformed claw, he can use it to jump and kick but balances all his weight on his other foot, which means he wets himself because of not standing correctly to pee. I rushed him to the vets a couple of weeks ago because despite the fact I clean him regularly I came in to find him with a balding patch and a little red on his balancing leg from the urine. I'm aware it's urine scald and the vets have shaved his bikini line and given me some dermisol cream for him, which seems to be helping, I bathe his affected area daily and keep his indoor pen clean, and forked out some money for some vetbed as a soft alternative to the carefresh bedding we had been using.

However, the fur isn't growing back in some places and he has a small scab(?) on the back of his leg just above his hock, which he has told me in no uncertian terms not to touch, thus the E45 goes around it. His stiff leg is just that: stiff it doesn't fold underneath him properly, it'sat a kind of 90 degree angle all the time, yet he can kick with it when he chooses to, but can't stand on his hind legs atall or turn properly (swivels on the hockjoint of the balancing leg).

I feel in some ways that I fail him :( I am trying my best every day but sometimes he just sits there and stares at me with such a mournful look... thats when he's not been let out to skid about the kitchen floor making messes. :no: (he's not neutered).

Have any of you got any advice? Or has anyone had similar problems?

He's eight :) and no, he's not on pain relief :( the vets have moved his legs about, but his movement doesn't seem restricted when they do it, they said it could be his nerves sort of wearing out due to old age, it could be arthritis, but they don't know. And though I've researched it and from what I can see xrays might help get to the bottom of it, sadly I don't have the money for xrays -_-; if I get a raise I will do everything I can though.

Only other thing I've read and discussed is a trial on metacam, which is something I will mention when I pick up his antibiotics tomorrow (snuffles).

The only thing the vet suggested for the urine scald was keep the fur short and bathe him then apply E45 to the area. I think that maybe in my eyes it's worse than it seems, but then I am a worrier and I love him very much.

Update on himself:

His 'scab' came away and I think it might have been a nasty looking small clumped fur patch (missed when he was shaved) rather than a scab >.> he's beige skinned now and looks nice and clean, compared to the redness the other week.

His snuffles are back too though, and the vet suggested maybe an xray for his nose too to see if his dental problems are causing the discharge. But they said before it was snuffles...

He's always on antibiotics for that, he's been off 'em 2 days and is very happy and chirpy but started sneezing a little white discharge again earlier.

Despite his problems he does seem very happy most of the time, but the occasional day or two a month he looks sad I jst wonder what's really going on in his body, and I want to do all that I can for him.

I really hope you don't think me a bad owner, I do everything that I can for him, but the vets don't seem to suggest much, and what they do suggest is very expensive, my dad foots the bills for the dentals but I pay everything else, and I have no money for xrays. Putting him under at his age is a risk in it's self, and that worries me too, especially as theres a chance it mightn't solve anything then I've put him through alot of stress and a risk on his life for nothing. I'm hoping by his next dental I might be off the apprentice wages, but I've no promises, maybe time to break the habit and borrow a bit!

I dont think x-rays are essential at this stage :) But I would definately discuss some pain relief for him, the pain may be in his spine rather than hips or legs :? A 2 week course wouldn't do any harm and may hopefully show some improvement. I hope you are able to persuade your vet, if not I would loo for a second opinion

Thanks so much for the advice :3 he has a snuffles checkup/vaccination due within the next couple of weeks so I'm gonna bombard them with questions (as usual :p) and ask them about the pain relief *determined face goes here* he's a happy little bun today, rather over exitable... beating up Missus Bunny :D

Back