• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Snowdrop only eating at night time?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Snowdrop ate loads overnight but I did her morning pellets about 9am and have just got home to find she hasnt touched them. She isnt usually very active during the day and is sleeping under my bed as normal but she usually eats her pellets first. She had some pain relief yesterday morning at the vets but I only did maxalon and infacol this morning, her metacam is once a day and I was going to do it at tea time as she is more active during the night.

Why would she eat during the night but not the day? I am going to syringe feed her recovery in a minute so her tummy stays full and will do her metacam as well.

Alvin was like this for a few days too... i didnt understand neither.. i think he was only eating when the metacam was at its strongest becuase what ever pain he was having thanx to the guts stopping..

it took 11days and he is now eating his breakfast, the odd munch of hay during the day and through the night too.. guess it just takes a while to get the gut up to speed again after a slowdown/stop

Can you ask the vet if you can give half the does of metacam twice a day? If she's getting it at night sounds like she is more comfortable so will eat?

Can you ask the vet if you can give half the does of metacam twice a day? If she's getting it at night sounds like she is more comfortable so will eat?

She had a painkiller in the morning yesterday that was injected so I would have thought it was wearing off in the evening. I syringe fed her, did her maxalon and infacol and then she ate overnight.

I am sure my vet will be ok with me splitting the metacam to twice daily.

Snowdrop ate loads overnight but I did her morning pellets about 9am and have just got home to find she hasnt touched them. She isnt usually very active during the day and is sleeping under my bed as normal but she usually eats her pellets first. She had some pain relief yesterday morning at the vets but I only did maxalon and infacol this morning, her metacam is once a day and I was going to do it at tea time as she is more active during the night.

Why would she eat during the night but not the day? I am going to syringe feed her recovery in a minute so her tummy stays full and will do her metacam as well.

This is how Lola was before her last dental, she'd only eat over night, and the stuff in the morning ended up getting chucked away, because I guess she ate so much throughout the night she didn't feel like eating in the day. I know you said Snow doesn't have a dental issue, but that's the only way I can relate to this exact dilemma.

cant find the website again :oops:, but in my panic last week i was looking up rabbits eating habits.. apparently (stupid as i am i didnt know this) wild rabbits tend to eat early morning, evening and overnight.. helped to ease my mind abit :D

i honestly thought if a rabbit didnt eat/poop every hour or so they would get ill and get stasis, all them times ive paniced about Alvin not eating/pooping all day :oops::oops:

as my vet said, i am watching him too much :oops::oops:

I know. My Mum does the helpful "maybe she isnt hungry" routine which just makes me cross! And my OH just spouts the "she will be fine" speach!

I know Snowdrop, and she usually eats her pellets at 7am, veg at 6pm and pellets at 10pm. At the minute she is leaving her 7am pellets, not touching her 6pm veg but then when we go to bed around 11pm she starts eating the veg. Over the next few hours she eats all the veg, then the two servings of pellets and then loads of hay. Its a very strange routine!

I know. My Mum does the helpful "maybe she isnt hungry" routine which just makes me cross! And my OH just spouts the "she will be fine" speach!

I know Snowdrop, and she usually eats her pellets at 7am, veg at 6pm and pellets at 10pm. At the minute she is leaving her 7am pellets, not touching her 6pm veg but then when we go to bed around 11pm she starts eating the veg. Over the next few hours she eats all the veg, then the two servings of pellets and then loads of hay. Its a very strange routine!

oooooh :evil::evil::evil: Ste does the he'll be fine speech!!! he did it all along with pearl and i was right she was poorly :(

i think because i spend so little time with these pair working full time, perfectly normal daily behaviour has me rushing into panic mode..

i reakon once her guts are properly going hun shell get her old routine back, as i say its taken 11 days before Alvin seemed to be right again.. seeing him take only a mouthful of his brekkie veg tore me apart but hes greedy again now :D

I hope so. She has to be back at the vets on Saturday for a check up so I will talk to the vet about it then. I know there is nothing else they can do for her so we just have to ride it out and hope she improves. I have been worrying as she hasnt moved from the same spot under my bed all day, but I know she does this every day so its normal for her to be a lazy bum during the day.

every time Alvin lies down right now i panic.... is that tummy pressing into the floor :?

do you think itll ever get easier :oops::lol::lol:

every time Alvin lies down right now i panic.... is that tummy pressing into the floor :?

do you think itll ever get easier :oops::lol::lol:

Probably not. Snowdrop will always be a worry as I know this condition will get her in the end. I just hope she is well enough to be bonded soon as i hate her being alone all day.

Its such hard work having 3 single buns, I dont have the time to spend with them all, letting them free range in turn is a nightmare as they smell each other and mark their territory and they are all obviously bored and lonely in their own rooms all day. Plus its 3 rooms to clean out, 3 litter trays to change and 3 lots of feeding to do.

Roll on Feb half term when hopefull they will be bonded!

Probably not. Snowdrop will always be a worry as I know this condition will get her in the end. I just hope she is well enough to be bonded soon as i hate her being alone all day.

Its such hard work having 3 single buns, I dont have the time to spend with them all, letting them free range in turn is a nightmare as they smell each other and mark their territory and they are all obviously bored and lonely in their own rooms all day. Plus its 3 rooms to clean out, 3 litter trays to change and 3 lots of feeding to do.

Roll on Feb half term when hopefull they will be bonded!

awwwww thatll be nice to have em all loved up... harder to tell whos gone the toilet tho :? since pearls been on all her drugs her poops have shrunk so i stuggle to tell the difference now... and how to tell whos peed is impossible... not the best with a stasis bun..

what is her condition hun? Alvin has never been given a diagnosis just that hes prone :?

awwwww thatll be nice to have em all loved up... harder to tell whos gone the toilet tho :? since pearls been on all her drugs her poops have shrunk so i stuggle to tell the difference now... and how to tell whos peed is impossible... not the best with a stasis bun..

what is her condition hun? Alvin has never been given a diagnosis just that hes prone :?

The vets think she has Megacolon. I dont really know much about it but it is common in white rabbits with dark markings (part of the English Spot gene). It causes frequent bouts of bloat and stasis and the main symptom is diahorrea or unformed poos that look more like cowpats. If you want any more info on it pm me your email address and I can send you a document on it.

It will be difficult if she is bonded but I think it will be better for her. She loves Strawberry so much. Her poos are often large and unformed so I used to be able to tell which were hers.

wow i didnt think stasis/bloats could be put down to a proper illness, poor baby but you must have ace vets to have figured that one out :shock:

wow i didnt think stasis/bloats could be put down to a proper illness, poor baby but you must have ace vets to have figured that one out :shock:

She was diagnosed by FHB. Its not a very well known about condition and alot of vets doubt its existance. My vet had never heard of it and between us we manage her condition the best way we can.

oh little snowdrop, ive just read about her condition sounds like a bit of a living nightmare :(:( so you have to be really strict with the feeding routine :shock::shock:

oh little snowdrop, ive just read about her condition sounds like a bit of a living nightmare :(:( so you have to be really strict with the feeding routine :shock::shock:

This is the first serious stasis bout she has had. She has about 2 mini bloats a month and usually some metacam and infacol sort it within a few hours. On her current diet she hasnt had any diahorrea now since she went to York in September. She does still produce soft, rugby ball shaped poos though.

Back