• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anaemia in rabbits...

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc is anaemic... can anyone tell me anything about it... bisc's is non-regenerative... might have to have a bone marrow sample taken.... but what else is there to know... is it treatable? and with what meds? and what is the outlook for a rabbit with anaemia?

thank you.

OKs I am going to be a strict Auntie Jane now

I think you need to wait for Aidan to make a diagnosis. You are getting yourself into such a state about the Buns and if you start trying to second guess what is going on you really will make yourself poorly. Then what would Bisc and Matt do :cry:

I got into a state about Morse, whom I am so worried about. But I realise that a little knowledge can be a bad thing as we are not Vets, we can only guess at what may be wrong and we are bound to convince ourself that our Bun has every dreadful disease in the Rabbit Textbook.

Auntie Jane says PLEASE try to trust Aidan, he sounds a great Vet and I am certain he will do all he can for your Buns and he will keep you informed every step of the way.

Now, what about a few pics of your boys :D

You need to be OK for Bisc when he is home later today XX

he has told me he is anaemic though and will probably need a bone marrow sample taking....

i do trust aidan.... which is hard for me as i don't trust anyone! :oops:

hoping to hear from him soon about bisc... x

he has told me he is anaemic though and will probably need a bone marrow sample taking....

i do trust aidan.... which is hard for me as i don't trust anyone! :oops:

hoping to hear from him soon about bisc... x

When you speak with him ask him to explain fully to you the possibilities he has in mind.

He has the 'full picture' and he is the only one who can give you sound information and advice. We can only give guesses which will just add to your anxiety and be of no help to Bisc at all.

I am having to trust my Vet too and like you I dont usually do trust.
So we'll both have to force ourselves to go against our instinctive mistrust of the human race !!

xx

:lol:.... i find it hard to trust people aswell.... but sometimes i think we have to...

... just updated bisc's thread... he's awake now and just going to collect them.... :)

xx

Anaemia of chronic disease is well recognised in many species and is non regenerative. The bone marrow shuts down secondary to a long standing disease process. has your rabbit been unwell recently?

Anaemia of chronic disease is well recognised in many species and is non regenerative. The bone marrow shuts down secondary to a long standing disease process. has your rabbit been unwell recently?

yes, he has been unwell recently.

bone marrow shuts down doesn't sound good :(

bisc was anaemic a while ago and his body recovered itself by itself and his levels returned to normal.. his latest bloods showed he was anaemic again.. he had a dental yesterday, his teeth were obv causing him pain and stress...

the bloods are being repeated in a couple of weeks so we are hoping his body has managed to recover again this time.

i know there must be a reason he becomes anaemic... we are really hoping it was the stress of this year... he has had respiratory problems, cystitis type infections, gas, dodgy poops and teeth problems aswell. he has also seen matt go through having a chronic uri. matt is still on treatment now.

so maybe all the stress combines with everything else has caused the anaemia?

i will update with his next blood test results anyway.

Back