• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression due to lack of exercise

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
I've just been watching Louie running full pelt round the house, into the garden and back into the house, leaping around and generally letting off steam. He has been doing this none stop for the past 2 hours!

It just got me thinking about how it's no small wonder that rabbits confined to a hutch/cage permanently are handed into rescues as aggressive. I'm sure that it is all to do with not being able to be a bunny, not being able to get rid of all of that energy. They must be so bored, frustrated and depressed :(

Louie has so much more energy than any of the cats I've ever owned had, yet noone thinks it acceptable to lock a cat into a 3ft prison for the whole of it's life.

Who on earth ever thought it would be an acceptable life for such an active animal to be confined? I know I can't do anything about it, rabbits will always be kept in tiny hutches, but it doesn't stop me feeling :cry: about it.

I know what you mean, some of mine are the same - as soon as you let them out they run around like loonys before settling down and flopping in the corner (Paddy and Peaches) whereas Jose is constantly on the go - i dread to think how bad she'd be if she was locked up in a cage :shock: Rainbow's a lazy git and is quite happy to just flop in the middle of the floor :roll:

I agree that might be why so many get handed in for being "aggressive" - I think they definately need to let off steam/get it out of their system

I totally 100% agree with you! So many people who see my rabbits say 'do they bite?!'.... think its quite offensive :lol:.

Mine have the whole garden to free range in, and I know that they wouldn't be as laid back and affectionate if they had to be locked up and confined all the time. They don't particulary like having a roof over their heads!

So many people label a bun as having an 'aggressive nature', but I am sure 9 times out of 10 is becuase they don't get the adequete housing :cry:

I'm glad 2 of you agree with my ramblings! :lol::lol::lol:

I would never keep a rabbit confined in a hutch ever again. I did in the past though she did get to freerange in the garden all day everyday.

I completely agree too :D

If I tried to confine Daisy and Jester I would have a full scale bunny riot on my hands :lol: They love charging about when they want to, so it makes me happy to know they can choose when to be crazy dashing about bunnies and when to be lazy bums.

My two are definitely more active than my cats as well. I think all three of my cats would do better in a hutch than any bunny - as long as they had cosy sleeping spots and a never ending supply of food :lol:

the only time that i put my rabbits in hutches are in the nights they are free range rabbits but i put them in hutches in the nights to stop foxes getting them
and i have an indoor rabbit that is never in a cage

Alvin is too lazy to run about, i think he uses the lack of excercise by his own choice to beat up his poor bunny mummy :lol::lol::lol:

I agree 100% when Poppy was in rescue she was really aggressive, as soon as she had some space to run around she turned into a different bunny :D

i feel bad cause mine dont get to be freerange 24/7. If they were in the house it would be different.

they get in the run for about an hr a day... i would have them out longer..but i have to supervise them. and i cant be outside all day.

my two arent agressive. they are lazy as can be :| they just sit when they r in the run... dont run about at all!

I agree with you lilly! i do. and feel so bad i cant offer that for my two at this time. :(

Mai, I was referring to rabbits that are stuck in a box of a hutch for all of their lives. You have good sized accomodation for yours and you let them out as well so you have nothing to feel bad about :D

i feel bad cause mine dont get to be freerange 24/7. If they were in the house it would be different.

they get in the run for about an hr a day... i would have them out longer..but i have to supervise them. and i cant be outside all day.

my two arent agressive. they are lazy as can be :| they just sit when they r in the run... dont run about at all!

I agree with you lilly! i do. and feel so bad i cant offer that for my two at this time. :(

Awww I wouldn't feel bad, trust me there are some out there much worse off! I had the unfortunate experience of seeing some rabbits being kept in 'breeding hutches' they were actually smaller than my goldfish tank and there were rexes and giants there. They don't get out every day - they put them out the day when the RSPCA where going round (apparently) and they are eating them aswell so yours are well off compared to some! At least they are kept clean with hay and clean water and daylight and most importantly your love- the image of the dark damp makeshift 'shed' with them stacked 4 or 5 high will never leave me. :cry:

Mai, I was referring to rabbits that are stuck in a box of a hutch for all of their lives. You have good sized accomodation for yours and you let them out as well so you have nothing to feel bad about :D

I agree x

True, they have a fab sized hutch :)
Yes... ive seen some horrid pics or breeding hutches. :(

I can't believe and neither could the estate agent that the RSPCA won't do anything (he does have a licence) but, you would think that he would need to adhere to stricter rules and regs ? It beggars belief I think that they are allowed to get away with it, there is no way those buns can demonstrate their normal behaviour they didn't even have any hay!:shock:

I've just been watching Louie running full pelt round the house, into the garden and back into the house, leaping around and generally letting off steam. He has been doing this none stop for the past 2 hours!

It just got me thinking about how it's no small wonder that rabbits confined to a hutch/cage permanently are handed into rescues as aggressive. I'm sure that it is all to do with not being able to be a bunny, not being able to get rid of all of that energy. They must be so bored, frustrated and depressed :(

Louie has so much more energy than any of the cats I've ever owned had, yet noone thinks it acceptable to lock a cat into a 3ft prison for the whole of it's life.

Who on earth ever thought it would be an acceptable life for such an active animal to be confined? I know I can't do anything about it, rabbits will always be kept in tiny hutches, but it doesn't stop me feeling :cry: about it.

I have tried to explain this to my family and friends, they all look at me/each other like I have totally lost the plot. Even my son said that I am a bit sad when it comes to my bunnies. My sisters dog has less space than my buns but they will not listen.

Thats one of the reasons why I love this site so much, at least here, people understand buns and their needs.

I love threads like this one.

A lot of the time Charlie is free range for up to like 14 hours a day, and the lazy little git does nothing :lol: he runs about for about 10 mins a day and then spends the rest of the time begging for cuddles :roll:

I totally 100% agree with you! So many people who see my rabbits say 'do they bite?!'.... think its quite offensive :lol:.

Mine have the whole garden to free range in, and I know that they wouldn't be as laid back and affectionate if they had to be locked up and confined all the time. They don't particulary like having a roof over their heads!

So many people label a bun as having an 'aggressive nature', but I am sure 9 times out of 10 is becuase they don't get the adequete housing :cry:

we get the "do they bite" with our lot too:cry: i think it is sad that so many people hae the attitude it is just a rabb:cry:it which probably bites.

Back