• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Bonding went wrong ;(

Well yesterday was bonding day for the new Cloggs and Floss.

I had the indoor cage set up (to create a netural area) and well it all seemed to go ok for the first 45 minutes, at first they hopped around each other, then they both stood stock still for a while, then they hopped around each other again and muched on some hay (which I thought was a good sign), then I just don't know what went wrong, but all of a sudden there was a ball of rabbit in the middle of the cage with fur everywhere!!! At that point I separated them (after much shouting and pannicing), and they are now back in their own cages.

I am so upset about this, I was totally so nervous about the bonding and I really wanted them to get on as they are both such wonderful bunnies. Now I don't really know what to do? (Obviously I will be talking to Jill about this as they are both Honeybunnies so I feel a responsibility to her). I had these two days off work mainly so I would have 5 straight days together to get the bunnies together and supervise them...

Right now though I feel I've let them down, myself and Jill. I was worrying about it all yesterday afternoon and been awake for about 2 hours already (which is nothing unusual) worring about my wonderful bunnies... ;(

Hannah x

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. :( Bonding is very stressful indeed. I'm sure Jill will have some good advice for you & hopefully all is not lost. :):)

Please dont give up, what happened was entirely normal. I know that it is really stressful to bond bunnies, Why cant they just shake hands like people do?

Chasing and fur pulling is all part of the process, just let them live side by side, where they can see each other all the time, then just let them have time together every day.

There will be fur pulling and chasing, when we got to that stage with Em and Muffin, we had the hoover there and everytime they started doing it, we turned it on, shouted loudly or clapped.

Then, when we were just about to give up, we tried one last time, in another part of the house and 'bingo' they were bonded.

If we werent such scardey cats, and had left them a bit longer on the previous attempts, they probably would have bonded much quicker.

All the very best of luck with it. Dont give up on them. xx

Hannah don't feel bad ..it happens

I can have them here to bond..please , if you want me or anyone else to bond them..don't try them again yourself....keep them completely seperate for a couple of weeks to let them forget the fight..then I can have them here and hopefully you'll get them ack as a pair:D

Hannah don't feel bad ..it happens

I can have them here to bond..please , if you want me or anyone else to bond them..don't try them again yourself....keep them completely seperate for a couple of weeks to let them forget the fight..then I can have them here and hopefully you'll get them ack as a pair:D

I don't seem to be very good at this bonding thing...

I will keep them seperate as you say.

Cloggs has really settled in well though... he's lovely to have about and really responds to his name and comes hopping up to me when I call him... and likes a good old nose rub too :)

Hannah

Back