• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We're looking to get a house bun

Junie

New Kit
But we're unsure if rescues let you adopt just one to be a house bun or if you have to adopt 2,we've never adopted any bunnies before so we dont no how everything works

any knowledge would be gratefully received :D

you would probably only be allowed to adopt a pair, unless theres a really anti-social one that cant live with other buns... your in the right place to find your perfect match :love::love::love:

edited - if you look at rabbit rehome for your nearest rescue they will be able to tell you what they require and then the fun begins :D:D:D

You dont HAVE to adopt two. I have two single house bunnies, i think its ok to have a single house bunny because they have humans as companions :D

But it is nicer (if you have the space/time/money) to have two living together

It varies a lot according to the rescue.

Personally I always like to have a pair of buns; that way they are never alone and its so nice to see them cuddling up together.

However if you're at home a lot (I'm not!) then it would be reasonable to adopt a single rabbit especially if there's a reason why s/he can't be paired up, such as health problems or temperament.

:wave: Im sure you could rehome just one, have a look in Rabbits in Need there are a few house buns in there that need a home - Dixie and Dotty are 2beauties :love::love:

As for advice - you will need to bunny proof their living area - I use NIC cubes for their pen and then let them free range for a few hours a day.
They WILL chew wires so they need to be tied away or covered - also watch for carpets, skirtings etc - It isnt all bad but those are a few of the negatives.
Positives are that you will become very close to your bun and have a lot more interaction from him/her and catch every moment :love: Buns are also very easy to litter train and are a lovely pet to have around.
My 3 are re-locating to the spare room shortly to see if they will fall in love :D

if you could get two that would be much better i think... two bonded bunnies snuggling up and playing is so amazing to watch.... :D

Very good point about the wires - I encased all my wires with plastic tubing and they STILL managed to chew through it :shock::shock: I have some really tough hosepipe stuff on there now which seems to work. You have to not be too precious about furniture too as the chances are it will end up with little nibbly marks in it. :oops:

Back