• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How on earth do you syringe feed bunnies?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
There is recovery feed on my bed, the floor, my clothes, in my OH's hair and all over Snowdrops chin. But none in her mouth! I cant do it. The only way I can get the syringe in her mouth is to hold her either on her back or upright (as though she is standing) and I cant feed her like that.

Please tell me what im doing wrong. I tried wrapping her in a towel but she wriggles out or just moves her head and I cant get the syringe in her mouth!

:?...I have no idea, sorry! It's impossible!! Won't happen....nope...never...!! *hides in corner, rocking back and forwards*

I usually kneel down on the floor and put the bunny inbetween my legs then lean over them and feed:)

I tried like that but she just shakes her head every time the syringe goes near her mouth! I never usually syringe feed her as its so stressful for everyone involved but the vet said I should try for the next few days if she is still being picky.

Its the only way even managed to cut Lyrics nails yesterday:)

The only way I can cut my pairs nails is laying them on their backs and tucking them under my arm! Even then if Strawbs doesnt want to cooperate then it aint gonna happen!

I tried like that but she just shakes her head every time the syringe goes near her mouth! I never usually syringe feed her as its so stressful for everyone involved but the vet said I should try for the next few days if she is still being picky.

If you do it correctly and lean right over they cant move,so your way or no way;)

I think with some buns it's a real 2 person job. I always found it easier to have my OH hold the bun whilst I held the head steady with my left hand and syringed with the right.

if you ever figure it out let me know :oops::oops:

i have managed it by sitting with my knees up and alvin sitting facing me holding him with one hand under his front legs so hes sort of sitting up, but that was when he was too ill to fight too much

my latest attempt has been get him wrapped in a towel and held in one arm and try to get it in before he takes the syringe and throws it or chews and swallows the strands from a towel..

this is why he gets admitted so the vets nurses can do it through the day :oops::oops::oops:

good luck hun, im sure if you persevere she will realise your not going to let her win and shell just accept her fate and take the recovery

I normally get Dan to hold them, and just put the syringe behind their teeth... easier said than done mind you.

some buns will take the mix on an ordinary teaspoon.

worth a try as its such less hassle!
put a bit on a teaspoon and wiggle the teaspoon a little in front of the buns mouth and they may lick it off the spoon.

Just sit with the bun on your lap and hold the teaspoon.
be patient.
their curiosity may get them to lick it.
Try and stay relaxed yourself too as that helps calm them.
sue:wave:

If you do it correctly and lean right over they cant move,so your way or no way;)

i think you should try the Alvin challenge... you cant actually catch the little sod to get him in position :roll:

i do the leaning over way with pearl

some buns will take the mix on an ordinary teaspoon.

worth a try as its such less hassle!
put a bit on a teaspoon and wiggle the teaspoon a little in front of the buns mouth and they may lick it off the spoon.

Just sit with the bun on your lap and hold the teaspoon.
be patient.
their curiosity may get them to lick it.
Try and stay relaxed yourself too as that helps calm them.
sue:wave:

Snowdrop will usually eat it from a bowl but is refusing today.

Upright is fine, she can't choke in that position.

Everyone has their own technique, but I tend to sit on a chair with a towel on my knee, then place bun on my knee and wrap in the towel. To feed I get them upright against my chest.

My top tip is to mix recovery food with finely pureed baby food rather than water so that the end of the syringe doesn't clog up. A 20ml syringe is ideal.

i'm sorry i have no advice - i failed miserably with a tiny bit of baytril in a syringe with eric:( and i cheat by having his and esme's nails cut when they go for a vet check.

could your OH hold her in a towel and you stroke and then hold her face to put the syringe behind the side of her teeth?

Back