• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly bunny - teeth, GA & sores, U/D bad news

DeeDeeHug

Young Bun
Hello,
My 5 year old Doe Tamzin had been off since Xmas day. Following a trip to the vets she had an operation yesterday morning, 3 teeth were removed and the other back ones filed. While under GA I requested that they give her a good clipping tidy up round her rear end.
The vet called me personally during theatre to ask if we knew anything about 2 wounds they'd found amongst her long fur or if we'd done any DIY clipping? This was the first I knew about it but he said they were bad enough to require stitches!!

We collected her at 5.30pm yesterday and she wasn't too bad, however she has gone downhill ever since. She won't eat anything, just tiny tiny pieces every now and again......I have tried everything I can think of :(

To top things off she has now developed an eye infection on the same side as the tooth extraction and she's making a funny gurgle noise, maybe from nose area or guts?

She's a house bunny with a boyfriend Alfie who's doin his best to look after him.

Any advice or thoughts gladly recieved!

**UPDATE UPDATE 01/01/2010**

Started her on the meds at 11am yesterday morning and by last night she was eating soaked nuggets on her own and willingly taking the recovery from the syringe. We kept repeating this every 2 hours until around 2.30am when we left her to rest for the night. The soaked nuggets we left down were gone by 8.30am which is pleasing.
She's had some more meds at 11am and she's now having a hop around the garden, not grazing yet but sniffing around and investigating.

Not out the woods yet but so far so good :D

**UPDATE AGAIN 01/01/2010**

She's stopped eating since this morning.
She will not even open her mouth and lick and swallow anymore, it is becomming very hard to syringe feed her meds and recovery.
I shoved a slice of grape into the side of her mouth and she ate it eventually, this is not going to make her strong.

ANY IDEAS???

Last edited:
Hello
Monday she had these drugs via injection:
Baytril
Metoclopramide

Yesterday (operation day) she had the following via injection:
GA
W9025 Ethic.Vicryl 3 Metric
Baytril
Metoclopramide
Metacam

Today's is not itemsed but I was told it was an antibiotic and something to get her guts going.

Hello
Monday she had these drugs via injection:
Baytril
Metoclopramide

Yesterday (operation day) she had the following via injection:
GA
W9025 Ethic.Vicryl 3 Metric
Baytril
Metoclopramide
Metacam

Today's is not itemsed but I was told it was an antibiotic and something to get her guts going.

Probably Baytril (antibiotic) and Metoclopromide (gut motility stimulant)

IMO she should still be receiving regular analgesia (eg Metacam). A Rabbit in pain wont eat.

Were you given any Critical Care Feed to syringe feed her ?

Is she drinking ?

It's not uncommon for rabbits to be unwilling to eat after a major dental. As Jane has said, she will need pain relief foremost.

She will also need her food cutting or grating into small pieces and her pellets soaking to make them soft enough to eat with a sore mouth. Try tempting her with small bits of her fave foods like herbs or fruit and veg.

If she still won't eat, you may need to start syringe feeding her to prevent her going downhill.

I suspect that she has a nasty mouth infection going on and may need a course of antibiotics to control it. Has she has an x-ray done to see what's going on with her tooth roots and jaw bone?

God Luck and sending vibes xx

We have some rabbit recovery to syringe feed her with, we do manage this without holding her on her back. Once in her mouth she will lap it up but looses interest quickly.

I have just realized that the vet didn't look inside her mouth today???

Why is it you think of these things after!!!!

She's had a very small slice of pineapple and strawberry, she will drink when you remind her too.

To my knowledge she only had Metacam yesterday, is there anything I can do now tonight??

We have some rabbit recovery to syringe feed her with, we do manage this without holding her on her back. Once in her mouth she will lap it up but looses interest quickly.

I have just realized that the vet didn't look inside her mouth today???

Why is it you think of these things after!!!!

She's had a very small slice of pineapple and strawberry, she will drink when you remind her too.

To my knowledge she only had Metacam yesterday, is there anything I can do now tonight??

Firstly dont put her on her back when attempting to syringe feed her. This is very dangerous as she may aspirate the feed.

I would advise you to contact the Vet first thing tomorrow to request pain relief for you to administer daily for at least another 5 days.

Try to keep tempting her to eat. She may prefer her usual pellet feed made soft by soaking them in cooled boiled water rather than the Recovery Feed.

She has had major Dental work done and it will take several days for her eating to return to anywhere near normal. Pain relief is an absolute essential during recovery.

If her eye is still discharging you can bathe it with cooled boiled water. But she may also require an antibiotic eye treatment such as Fucithalmic.

Here is a photo of her eye:
eye.jpg

I'm not particulary worried about this at the moment, when you move her eyelid you can see her mucus membranes.

I have just gone and boiled the kettle, letting it cool down so i can soak some nuggets and bathe her eye.

I have a punnet of fresh chopped fruit from the supermarket - melon, apple, grape, strawberry and pineapple. I have just syringed out 2 lots and she has drunk them, along with a couple of rabbit recovery mixtue, couple of bits of strawberry and 2 slices of cucumber.

I'm going to leave her for a while and try again soon.

there is no advice i could offer as i think Jane has covered the lot... just wanted to send vibes and i hope your gorgeous bunny has a very quick recovery xxxxx

I spoke with my vet earlier. She had a 3 in 1 injection yesterday of : Baytril, Metacam & Metacopramide.

Got up twice in the night and she seemed enthusiastic at 3.30am but not this morning.

I can no longer get her to eat anything, not even recovery off the syringe.

Just going to collect Metacam & Baytril from vet.

I am so sorry to hear that she is unwell! We are sending loads of get-well vibes from Jordan!

I so hope she perks up soon and let's you syringe her... How is she doing now?

I had the same happen to my bun a few weeks ago after a dental so I know how you are feeling...

Best,
Sandra

Pain will be playing a big part in her inappetence. Hopefully once today's Metacam dose kicks in she will feel able to eat a little.

Do make sure you have been given enough medication to tide you over the Bank Holiday.

thanks everyone for your kind words.

she has had her Baytril & Metacam at 11.00am and 5.30pm.

we havent really made much progress with the feeding until earlier, we wrapped her in a bunny burito and basically forced the Rabbit Recovery down, only squeezing the syringe when she accepts it though. It took a while but i think we managed 10/15ml.

she's still drinking and passing pellets though.

Sandra - how long did it take for your bunny to recover and how is he now?

i dont understand.
today i have been in tears as it seemed like she was shutting down on us and wouldnt even drink from the syrigne or allow us to force feed her.

then this evening the same as yesterday she perked up, we have been giving her Metacam & Baytril at 5.00pm and by 7.30pm she's been willingly been taking the recovery from the syringe and eating mashed nuggets.

The doesage for Metacam states 4 drops twice a day....we have done 11am and 5pm - this would explain why she was off her food again this morning because she would of gone nearly 18hours without.....but then by doseing within 6 hours we are seeing results???

I think we need to get up at 5am and re-dose and then again at 5pm and see how we get on.

I will call the vets in the morning though....not sure what they can do anymore??? How much longer do i do this for??? Days / Weeks i cant just let her suffer like this and die slowly if that is what is going to happen???

It will take quite a few days to recover from major dental work so keep up with the painkillers and feeding.

It does sound to me as though pain is the problem - although by now the vet should also have looked inside the mouth again as well to ensure everything is ok

I am afraid that I do not do 'drops' so am not sure about your dosage - but it may well be that a larger dosage could be given and you may want to query that with your vet and ensure that they are using the latest guidelines.. Some vets seem still to give a very low dose. Please d not change dosage however without consulting the vet.

How much does your bunny weigh?

PS Jacks Jane will know what the possible range of dosage is in drops once you say what the weight of the bun is. It really does sound like a pain issue.

It may be that she needs a higher dose of Metacam for a few days. If your Vet checks the latest Veterinary Drug Formulary he/she will see that there is now a new (HIGHER) recommended 'safe' maximum dose for Meloxicam (Metacam).
Also, it is importnant to try to give the doses as near to exactly every 12 hours as possible to obtain maximum analgesic cover.

Hoping that things have improved. As Jane has said, it sounds as if more metacam and evenly spaced will help. Your vet should be open today so that you can get some help.

we took her to the vets 1st thing this morning as we still couldnt get anything decent down her, we left off her meds so she could have an injection too.

we saw a different vet today, one of the owners. He looked inside her mouth and said that where she had the extraction was all nice and clean but he found something else. at the back of her jaw, on the hinge was a white dot which when pressed let out puss. His concern is that she has a bone infection on her jaw, when you feel each side from the outside you can feel the thicking on one side too.

He called this something but i'm sorry i cant think what he said, i'm still upset.

He has "upped" her Baytril to 1ml twice a day and the Metacam to 6 drops twice a day, we can administer these in stages if we feel it would suit her better.

On her notes there is no record of an x-ray been done on tuesday when she had her op. He's recommended we come back on monday to see our vet and maybe do an x-ray....this will show up an abnormalites of her jaw.

I dont know what to do....how much longer do we carry on? I've been and bought baby food and fruit juice...nothing, she's had a couple of green carrot tops though???

If she's never going to get better then it's just not fair to let her go through this is it??

sorry for the ramble :oops:

Back