• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paddy keeps scratching his ears - U/D Back from vets

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Paddy keeps on scratching his ears lately and i've noticed the hair is falling out on them and there are a few little scabs (or what i guess are scabs).

I've come home from work today and he scratched them that much that the top layers of skin have come off and its all red and sore looking. I've got an appointment at the vets tomorrow at 2.40pm, but is there anything i can put on them to help in the meantime please?

He seems fine in himself, I just dont want him to make them any worse over night because they itch so much :(

Last edited:
All my lop rabbits scratched their ears until they almost have no hair there, they were all checked at the vets and there were no issues with them, is you bun a lop?

My uppy eared buns dont seem to have the same problem with itchy ears

Sweep had mites, his fur came out in clumps and he kept scratching all the time. His ears and back of his neck were almost bald (didn't help that he was already having his summer moult at the time). The mites weren't really visible to the naked eye. With treatment he was back to normal within a week or so :)

All my lop rabbits scratched their ears until they almost have no hair there, they were all checked at the vets and there were no issues with them, is you bun a lop?

My uppy eared buns dont seem to have the same problem with itchy ears

Funnily enough, yes he is :D

How about cleaning with warm boiled water and maybe some olive oil ? Don't have experience of this as such but, would of thought it might offer some comfort and wouldn't hurt or be dangerous. Till he see's the vet :D

Last edited:
Sweep had mites, his fur came out in clumps and he kept scratching all the time. His ears and back of his neck were almost bald (didn't help that he was already having his summer moult at the time). The mites weren't really visible to the naked eye. With treatment he was back to normal within a week or so :)

He's not lost any hair anywhere else, just on the outside of his ears. Hopefully the vet can sort him out tomorrow :D

Are there what looks like flakes of dry skin, like dandruff, on the ears where he has been scratching?

When Sooty had mites that is what her skin looked like.

Oh no :( Poor Paddy :( Maybe it was caused by a little stress from the moving/bonding? Mites can be bought on by stress cant they? I hope he will be ok xXx

Oh no :( Poor Paddy :( Maybe it was caused by a little stress from the moving/bonding? Mites can be bought on by stress cant they? I hope he will be ok xXx

No idea, ive never had any experience of mites. He seems fine though, he's snuggled down the side of the settee in the corner with Peaches - all this room to run about in and they choose to squish together in the corner :roll: :lol:

I'm getting P&P's VHD done tomorrow, saves me having to go twice to the vets with them

i'd say sudocream too - he'll spend ages licking it off though (i use it on esme sometimes as she has a tiny bald spot on her foot and i don't want it to get sore).

I put some sudocrem on :)

I had a good look in his tufty bits between his ears and found some dandruffy bits, there were a couple of clumpy bits too :?

Back