• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie AGAIN

Amanda J Moore

Young Bun
Hya,

I just wanted to let you know that Archie had eaten and drank next to nothing in 48 hours and hasn't gone the loo much and I phoned the vet again who again refused to give him pain relief but has said if I take him in tommorow then he'll do an xray but if it doesn't show anything then there really isn't anything more he can do. I can't believe he is still alive, he is 1 strong little fighter !!! xx

Hya,

I just wanted to let you know that Archie had eaten and drank next to nothing in 48 hours and hasn't gone the loo much and I phoned the vet again who again refused to give him pain relief but has said if I take him in tommorow then he'll do an xray but if it doesn't show anything then there really isn't anything more he can do. I can't believe he is still alive, he is 1 strong little fighter !!! xx

Did you see the advice on your other thread ?

I strongly suggest you contact another Vet as your Rabbit needs pain relief.
No animal should be denied that and I would advise you to phone the Vet again now, ask one more time for pain relief and if they refuse tell them that you intend to take your Rabbit to another Vet today for a second opinion/appropriate treatment.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: did you not phone any other vets then?

i dont think he will survive much longer under the care of your current vets, altho im preying im wrong

thanks for your responses, I just wanted to let you know I phoned the vet AGAIN and said I was sick of watching my baby suffer and that I was considering taking him to another vet for treatment and hey presto.... he has an appointment in less than an hour for pain relief and to have his teeth checked !!! thanks again for all your support... I hope he pulls through

good for you... he really does need pain relief... i would still go to another vet though... hope he gets better. xx

thanks for your responses, I just wanted to let you know I phoned the vet AGAIN and said I was sick of watching my baby suffer and that I was considering taking him to another vet for treatment and hey presto.... he has an appointment in less than an hour for pain relief and to have his teeth checked !!! thanks again for all your support... I hope he pulls through

what a relief :D:D:D if you cry alot too (i do usually) you may even be able to get them to give him an injection of fluids in the scruff of his neck, that should give him a fighting chance of recovery

loads of vibes xxx

i also found an old thread of mine, to show you ive been in your hell and i will never be there again, its the time Alvin also was not given pain relief :(.. he got so poorly he had to be admitted overnight put on a drip and given a few shots of vetalgesic (sp) which i beleive is a very strong pain killer.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123633

I suspect that as well as pain releif (which should be given at the vets and ALSO as a home medication for you to continue) he will by now be in desperate need of rehydration by subcutaneous fluid injection ( pay no attention to then if they say he does not look dehydrated - many vets cannot 'tell' if a bun is dehydrated) and also another syringe feed.

Also metclopromide to be continued at home.

Personally I would ditch the vets you have as they should be doing this as a matter of course and not just under threat.

yes home treatment of metacam and metclopromide is a must, plus some sort of recovery sachet.

good luck with them, they sound an awful vets practice :evil: :cry::cry:

Back