• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

29 rabbits

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Thats how many we have lost just this year :cry::cry::cry:

Everytime we loose one they take a piece of me with them, Timmy took the largest piece :cry::cry: There will be nothing left of me soon :(

I need to go out in the rain and start feeding and cleaning but I am curled up in my pyjamas on the chair and feel too exhausted to stand. I have been up since 5.45 to be with Ella as I was so worried about her and hardly slept when I was in bed.

I don't think I can face another year of so many losses, but I can't see it changing as the bunnies we take in seem to be getting older and sicker :(

On top of those 29 are all the bunnies that went to the bridge before they made it to us, and there are too many of those to mention. But everytime that happens we grieve for them as if they were our own :( Loosing Cookie and Schoko this past week has hit us both hard as having them arrive was giving us something to look forward to after loosing Timmy. We never thought they would both go before they got to us :cry::cry:

Sorry for being so down :cry: I always try to look at the positives in life but I am so exhausted. Most people don't loose 29 rabbits in a life time, how are we suppose to cope with 29 in a year, we love them all so much :cry:

**Huge hugs*** I really, really feel for you:(

Now come on, up and at it, those bunnies need you xxxx;)

(you know where i am if you need a chat/scream/moral support/Malteasers)

I'm so sorry Liz. It must be so hard to constantly be picking yourself up and trying to carry on with life. :cry::cry: I'm really hoping 2010 will be much kinder to you and the bunnies.

I wish I could do something Liz...when i lost three in a year it knocked me for six so I can't imagine how you must feel. :( (((hugs)))

Thats 29 very lucky bunnies....all have known the total devotion and care you and Steve give them.x

I can't begin to imagine how you cope with all the pain of losing them but you do so much good for them while thay are with you ,you must think of that too.x

Thats 29 very lucky bunnies....all have known the total devotion and care you and Steve give them.x

I can't begin to imagine how you cope with all the pain of losing them but you do so much good for them while thay are with you ,you must think of that too.x

Totally agree:)

This must be so difficult for you.
I lost Scarlett this month and it's been one of the hardest things I've have to go through.
I cry for her everyday and I constantly think of her.
I justdon't know how you do it :cry:

You are making such a positive impact on their lives though, I know it's hard to think about, but where would all these bunnies be without you?

Totally agree, very well said :thumb: Hugs to you Liz xxx

thank you for loving the rabbits, the 29 you lost and the others still with you.

you need something to fill you up after the draining of so much loving and losing.

RUers, can we think of something?

i've just read about ella. it made me come back to this with another thought. you know, people are allowed to say 'i've given enough now', and stop, or do less. you don't want to make yourself ill. i'm sorry if this isn't what i'm expected to say. i think you give, and give, and everyone needs time to heal but you don't have that, and if you need 'permission' or someone else to say "this is enough now. cut back on the bunnies. you can't take them all" , i'll say it even if it makes me unpopular with you and everyone else! stop now, for a while. don't take any more buns. love the ones you have while you can. wait until it seems right to do more, and if it doesn't seem right, don't do it. your gift to buns has been made in droves; it isn't right that there should be nothing left of you at the end of it.

Last edited:
It must be really hard for you Liz but if it wasn't for you and Steve 29 rabbits would have died earlier, in more pain and never knowing the love and devotion of such a caring owner. Yes they have gone, but they went peacefully and were happy in the last months of their lives. Thats whats important.

I really hope next year is better for you and that you can find the strength to carry on, the world would be a much worse place without you fighting for the poorly bunnies out there.

I am sure it must be both physically and emotionally draining :cry:

If you do decide to take a break from more intakes it would be perfectly understandable. You need to make sure you dont put your own health at risk.
I have had to make that decision and it was not easy. Especially when I have had to say 'no' to Rabbits in need

:cry:

What you do completely blows me away, I know I would never have the emotional strength to do it.
I admire you both for your unfailing dedication to these buns that most other people would have given up on.
You show them love, care, and compassion....things that most of them have never known.
Just wish there was some way I could take some of the pain away.
Thinking of you both
xx

you take on alot of old, the sick, you have to have a heart of stone if you didnt feel like you were having a breakdown,

what sets you slightly apart from other rescues is that you mainly take on the old and sick that are mostly likely to have shorter lives,

you are doing your upmost best, putting all your time in for them, im sure all of your rainbow bridge bunnies would look down on you with a lot of love, greatful to you for rescueing them and giving them the time and love

Could not have said it better myself.

I have lost one bunny this year, and the pain is awful, i cant imagine how it feels to lose 29 :cry:

thank you for loving the rabbits, the 29 you lost and the others still with you.

you need something to fill you up after the draining of so much loving and losing.

RUers, can we think of something?

i've just read about ella. it made me come back to this with another thought. you know, people are allowed to say 'i've given enough now', and stop, or do less. you don't want to make yourself ill. i'm sorry if this isn't what i'm expected to say. i think you give, and give, and everyone needs time to heal but you don't have that, and if you need 'permission' or someone else to say "this is enough now. cut back on the bunnies. you can't take them all" , i'll say it even if it makes me unpopular with you and everyone else! stop now, for a while. don't take any more buns. love the ones you have while you can. wait until it seems right to do more, and if it doesn't seem right, don't do it. your gift to buns has been made in droves; it isn't right that there should be nothing left of you at the end of it.

Rather than make you unpopular, I totally agree with you.

The other thing I think Liz is hat you should get some young buns to enjoy for your own. That will also remind you of the total joy of bunnies and allow you to love them without all the dread and worry.

I would also like to say that I am not far away and the offer of help is still there anytime you need it.

Angela xx

Rather than make you unpopular, I totally agree with you.

The other thing I think Liz is hat you should get some young buns to enjoy for your own. That will also remind you of the total joy of bunnies and allow you to love them without all the dread and worry.

I would also like to say that I am not far away and the offer of help is still there anytime you need it.

Angela xx

We did take in Marnie, she was a young healthy bunny, although we only took her because we were told she was ill. Its not often it works that way round :) We were going to keep her but in the end we both decided that it wasn't fair to keep her here with so many poorly buns taking up our time and space, so we made the really hard decision to rehome her. She now has a fantastic free range home with her own husbun with much more space and attention we could ever give her.

I really miss her terribly and feel guilty that we couldn't give her what she needed here, but also know we did the right thing by her and gave her the chance of the best life possible :)

I can't imagine how you must feel. Every time I lose an animal it hurts so much, but luckily my losses have been spread out over years. You are such a strong person.
I'm sure those 29 were so happy they ended up with you.

I am sure it must be both physically and emotionally draining :cry:

If you do decide to take a break from more intakes it would be perfectly understandable. You need to make sure you dont put your own health at risk.
I have had to make that decision and it was not easy. Especially when I have had to say 'no' to Rabbits in need

:cry:

I completely agree, when you do what you do, being selfless every day, it can start to feel like self-preservation is being selfish, as it's so different than what you are used to. It will be hard to say no to needy bunnies, as saying yes is what your are used to doing, but in the best interests of your health and sanity (and it it's the only way to get through to you, in the best interests of the bunnies already in your care!!) maybe you should take a break, not take on any more for a while. You would still be doing more than your bit by looking after the ones you already have!

Back