• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing fur and skin but not mites?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Need to pick a few RU brains please! Maddie, my bun with osteomyellitis, has a huge patch of dry skin on her back and its falling out in thick clumps, taking all her fur with it. It started out as a bald patch with flakey skin, but now the fur has regrown yet the skin keeps falling off. The area where the fur is falling out is growing and spreading down her sides now.

The vet says it looks a classic case of mites, but there are none to be seen on skin scrapings? (Had 2 lots done now)

I think it may be from her penicillin injections shes been having for her jaw abscesses.... but the irritation is in places where I've never injected :? Could injections do this to her, and what can we do about it?

I've stopped the injections now as I don't feel it was fair to introduce this problem on top of everything else... but its not improving (been 3 weeks now).

Any ideas please???
Thanks!

MB

Maybe you could post some clear photos of the area?

Some possibilities would be a reaction to the injections (or to a recent vaccination maybe); fungal infection eg ringworm; burrowing mites that are being missed by the scrapes (has she actually had a course of treatment for mites?); allergy to insect bites eg fleas; Humping can also result in a bald area if she is in contact with other bunnies.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, my bun has a similar problem. Her skin kind of peels off in patches taking the fur with it, mostly on her ears and upper back. I wondered if it could be a side effect of medication as she's being treated for EC atm. She dosen't have mites. It is also spreading.

She had a similar thing before after her VHD vaccination, a patch on her back fell out but it also went scaly and inflamed in a bad reaction and was treated with fucidin. It's definitely not the same thing. Vet has no idea what it is but said to keep an eye on her, and not to worry as long as she was eating well etc. I wondered about central heating as a cause because of the drastic change in temperature when it's off. I've been using an antiseptic tea tree cream just to moisturise her skin.

A picture would definitely help :eek:) Does her skin come off in a patch with the fur still attached or is the fur and skin seperate? I'll try and get a pic of mine. Also, does it look like it peels off or flakes off?

Ditto what lilbun said :wave:

Is she having penicillin injections? A couple of mine have slight skin reactions to penicillin...but not flaky skin, just redness at the injection site.

If it looks like a classic case of mites, then I'd probably treat for mites if the vet says to go ahead. I'd use the spot-on rather than injectable ivermectin because I've had better results with it.

Back