• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny not improving after hospitalisation

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
my elderly mums bunny had a bout of something....dont quite know what..and ended up being hospitalised.
the vet we saw said i was doing exactly what she would so i should take ehr home and carry on.
um yeah fine cept due to your establishment splitting up my buns now i have to let the doe live in my bedroom..therefore..NO room.
Also im uncontrollably epileptic and sufering sleep deprivation right now...so can you keep her!!?

so they did..they force fed her and she only had one painkilling jab whilst we there and a metaclpramide that night.
id been treating her with infacol..metaclop syrup some zantac as shed stopped eating and fibreplex.
no fluids were given tho which i always get funny about..and not in a laughing way!

well we picked her up yesterday and she came home and ate and drank but not energetic.
then my mum said she was very quiet. leave ehr till morning i said. And early this morning she rang me worried as shed let her out and she wasnt well even tho shed eaten and pooed.
i told her to ring the vets and we took her down at 5.50pm

theres no sign of stasis now...and theres feces there moving...no fever..no obvious causes for her lethargy and fatigue.

so ellen checked her teeth..her scent glands her ears for any signs of infections...and nothing all normal.
she masaged her bladder and took a test strip to it and said no blood so no cystitis but there was something worrying.

hunnybunnys urine was a cloudy yellow and opaque...but our vet ellen said that her urine was very dilute despite its appearances.

ellen gave hunnybunny a metaclop jab..an antbx jab and a pain relief jab. she said to see how she goes and if theres an improvement its down to the meds but if shes worse again tomorrow or not anybetter..then shes got an appointemnt for the morning.

ellen said the dilute urine can be indicitive of kidney disease. That is usualy a result of e cuniculi.

i told her ive panacured her not long ago now but only for 9 days.

my mum forgets my health probs affect everyday life for me and lets hunnybunny out in the morning before 9 usually..i plead with her if im panacuring her please leave her in her cage till about 10.30am as sleep problems leave me needing to sleep in later. but oh no:roll:

now i hate myself,...i cant tell my mum how serious this oculd be..only what she needs to know at the moment...

ellen said once they see hows shes gone overnite and if necessary get taken by ellen to the hospital to have bloods taken. esp EC.

she said the best thing is tmorrow to start a 28day course miniumum of panacur for hunnybunny.

i could cry im so tired....im sleeping on the setee as my mattress has sprouted broken viscious flesh ripping springs and ripped my body all over:cry:

im looking for a no turn mattress on argos to buy now pay later....but itll be 14days min arrival. i have to sort out my room for bif as it is....how am i going to cope with mums bunny...unless i take her into my room too but im owrried the stress will be too much for both bif and hunnybunny

wot do i do:(

i hope mums bunny is ok and maybe just nothing...but the fact shes showng signs of illness despite now eating and pooping isnt right is it.

her wee is pretty pungent and she wees like crazy but so did our bandit and megabunny willow and they died of other things and were both panacured to the hilt.

any ideas or tips...

:( Sorry don't have any advice just wanted to say I really don't think you should blame yourself in anyway, I think it's great you are being so supportive and helping out when you are obviously feeling rotten yourself. I hope the bunny will be alright and you, you could always ring the vets and ask to speak to them for advice, I am sure as the treatment is recent and on-going they will talk to you and maybe offer some guidance x

I'm sorry you are having such a stressful time, I know all to well how hard it is to cope with sick bunnies when you have had no slepp especially when you don't really know whats wrong :(

I'm wondering if a bladder x-ray or ultra sound might provide some answers :?

Otto had very dilute urine and it turned out his bladder was in the wrong position so there was constant pressure on it making it empty all the time.

I would definately start the 28 days of panacur and continue with metacam too.

I hope the blood tests also help with answers.

Sending you all lots of vibes and hope you get the chance to take care of yourself a little :wave:

thank you vicki and liz....such kind words..thank you xx

well i havent been with mum today..lack of sleep took its toll badly:(

but ellen took bloods and this afternoon said all levels were normal and fine.
shes given 3 days of meds...metacam....metaclopramide and baytril....also advised force feeding but hunnybunny is stuffing her face and spitting out feeds and pooping loads and big!!! but her tummy is doughy.

its a case of see how she goes until normal hours at vets. unless emergency.
tonite tho my mum said shes bombing aorund which she hasnt been for about a week or so now. fingers crossed.

ooh maybe id beter ask ellen after new year about the poss of that. did he smell when he weed tho...hunnybunny has to have almost all her litter tray cleaned out dialy but could do with it twice daily...my mum goes nuts and i said cant be that bad..phewee was i wrong:oops:

but then some buns do.

im dreading the next three days of medictaing her...do you think im being cruel aksing mumt o give ehr cage rest for the three days and at the end of the third day let her loose again?

im such amess and nikkis been really ill..its been a very tiring crimbo and tomorow night im dragging mum aorund here..and hunnybunny so when the firworks go off round here theyll be safe and in good compmany...salems hunnybunnys bestest pal and shell be ok with him....and the tellly..like the other two upstairs...and bertie wil be sleeping as ever:lol::lol:

if im bad least i can sleep the evning away and leave mum watching tv whilst i snore:lol:

hopefully we will get this sorted...ellen said hunnybunnys tummy still feels doughy.

Back