• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding / myxi - what would you do??

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Sorry about all the bonding questions? :?

I have a dilemma - I have a week off from Saturday where I was hopefully going to bond my 3 - The thing is Charlie is booked in for his myxi on Thursday (smack bang in the middle of the week)

If I take him out will it break their bond?
or Should I delay the myxi jab for a few weeks?? (was due In December when I got him but couldnt get him in because of xmas etc) so will mean hes late getting the jab or take all 3 in the car which I hear is good for them but what Do I put 3 buns in for a trip to the vets?

Arggh what do I do?? I cant delay the bonding as I have delayed it enough already and have the perfect opportunity having the week off!

All this is of course is anticiapting they do bond!!

I always take all bonded bunnies to the vets together even if not all of them need to go. You only need book one appointment for the one that needs to be seen, but take the others along in the carrier for the ride. It's only for a short period of time and as you say, it may even help the bond along.

But what do I put them in - I have a standard size carrier - I wont get 3 buns in that will I? Or do you mean put them in their carriers seperately - though that wont help the bond?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8702393/Trail/searchtext>PET+CARRIER.htm

Or do you use a small cage?

Sorry not good at all this! :lol:

Just saw this - can you not bring his injection forward and get that out of the way first?

Just saw this - can you not bring his injection forward and get that out of the way first?

Yes i tried to get it this week - but that was the first appointment they could give me with christmas etc I think they are backlogged :?

I prefer not to bond and have vaccinations at the same time due to the stress involved with both.

Personally I would delay the vaccination until after the bonding as long as there are no reported outbreaks near by. But that needs to be your decision :wave:

Yeah that's a good point Liz; at least it's 4 days or so into the bond so hopefully most of the stress will be over by then. I guess the vet could advise over the phone on whether it's a high-risk area and whether they are still seeing cases of myxi - that might give an indication as to where the risk in delaying it further lies.

When all four of mine were bonded, they all fitted into a largish but average sized carrier. Granted 2 of them are nethies but the other two are quite big lops. They don't need to be able to move about much as it's only for a short period of time and they probably won't move much anyway - you're quite right, there would be no point in putting them all in different carriers and taking them as that would defeat the object.

I prefer not to bond and have vaccinations at the same time due to the stress involved with both.

Personally I would delay the vaccination until after the bonding as long as there are no reported outbreaks near by. But that needs to be your decision :wave:

Yes thats what I was thinking - how long after bonding should I wait - a few weeks?

At ARC we tend to say two weeks between most things .... between vaccinations, neutering and vaccinations, bonding and vaccinations. It allows them to recover and the immune system to settle before the next assault on it.

Back