• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update Again On Archie

Amanda J Moore

Young Bun
Hya All,

Archie has been to the vet AGAIN today and had another two injections (poor thing !) and all i've been told now is if he improves good if not i'll have to take him back again.... this is ridiculous, i'm watching him suffer and there is NOTHING I can do for him !!!!

:(:(:( sending loads of vibes

if it was me id be insisting on fluid injections (ive done this for Alvin) and pain relief, his guts will have totally stopped now and if hes dehydrated or in pain his guts will not kick start again..

poor little man i really hope he picks up soon xxxx

hya, thanks alot. he has been the loo and he's drunk abit but he is just rly still and not eating. I was told the injections were antibiotics and something to help things move in his tummy

i think he would improve hugely if you got the vets to give him pain relief.. once my vets didnt and Alvin got admitted overnight at the emergency vets where he got a really strong painkiller and was put on a drip.

i sent my vets such a stroppy email after that and they never left alvin without painrelief again :evil:

this is a really good article and i even printed it out just incase my vets ever tried not to give metacam again :oops:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

im glad hes drunk some water :D:D:D

I have just phoned the emergency line for the vet and he said that he can't give Archie pain relief as it will mask his problems and we'll think he is better when he isn't... this really doesn't seem right

omg :( do you have other vets you could try? :cry::cry: you must be so scared :cry::cry:... making loads more vibes he starts eating soon xxxx

Hi, are you near Cheshire/Chester area. There are a few of us who have good vets in this area if you wanted to try somewhere else (my vet is away at the moment though).

I can only suggest that meanwhile you keep him moving (5-10 mins each hour) but he will also need some sleep. Keep trying to get fluids into him - most important.

Also if you can buy a selection of foods to try to tempt him. I find that Thyme can help tempt as it is strong smelling. Also try some grated carrot, carrot tops, kale, spinach, spring cabbage, parsley, basil and anything else he likes.

I hope he starts to eat/poop soon.

Please take up the suggestion of seeking help from another Vet.

Pain relief is absolutely essential. A Rabbit in pain wont eat.

An extract from the following link:

MYTH: PAIN IS “PROTECTIVE”

There was a theory among veterinarians, and with human doctors as well not so long ago, that pain is “protective”, meaning that the natural function of pain is to keep the area that is painful from being used thus allowing it to heal. People that follow this line of thought don't believe in using pain relief because the animal wouldn't heal properly. For instance, if a bone is broken, the pain will keep the animal from using that bone until it heals. However, we certainly know that in humans moderate to severe pain can cause depression, loss of appetite, atrophy of muscles and pressure sores (from non-use of the area), and a resultant poor quality of life. All these conditions also occur in rabbits that experience moderate to severe pain. In addition, a rabbit may develop severe skin irritation from urine and stool because he doesn't want to groom himself or move about. Rabbits may experience a lowered body temperature and may eat poorly under the stress of moderate to severe pain. Rabbits can also develop gastrointestinal (GI) ileus (where the GI tract “shuts down”) and gastric ulcers in response to pain, both conditions being potentially life threatening. All of these conditions can seriously delay healing and threaten the overall health of the rabbit.

In my own experience as well as that of other published veterinarians, there is no evidence to indicate that analgesia will delay healing. In fact, since we are become more liberal with the use of pain medication in rabbits over the last 15 years, we have seen a dramatic increase in treatment success when pain is managed. Rabbits recover more rapidly; they eat sooner, become more active and have less GI problems when pain is managed. We have not found that rabbits will chew their stitches or pull off bandages more readily when analgesics are used. If bandages or sutures need to be protected, there are more imaginative and less cruel ways to accomplish this then leaving the animal in pain! Moderate to severe pain is not “protective” but rather destructive to the rabbit's overall well being. Pain management is crucial to treatment success in many cases.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500

I have just phoned the emergency line for the vet and he said that he can't give Archie pain relief as it will mask his problems and we'll think he is better when he isn't... this really doesn't seem right

I would definately look for another vet, he doesn't sound rabbit savvy. You need to get pain relief for him, if he's not eating and drinking his guts will stop and that can be fatal. Stassis is normally caused by underlying problems, which need to be sorted out, the most common is dental problems, with spurs cutting into the tongue or side of the mouth, causing damage to the soft tissue. Once your bunny is given pain relief he is more likely to respond to eating and drinking and then a more thorough examination can be carried out to find the cause.

I hope he is okay this morning, but please do consider taking him for a second opinion.

Back