• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can stroppy buns bond? group of 3 any advice

kaths101

Warren Veteran
I will be starting the bond of my 3 on Saturday?? :shock:
Has anyone had a bun you thought just wouldnt bond and has?? due to being stroppy or a bit aggressive? :? Sooty can sometimes be a bit tempermental - no reason for it and after Charlies and Oreos little scrap the other day - my nerves are not good!!

Any advice would be appreciated - I have 2 males and a female..Any success stories of a 3 will be gratefully received :D

At the moment I am pen swapping and they can see and sniff through the bars and will be bonding in a neutral area etc..

If this helps, no one thought my girl would accept another bun, including my bun savvy vet! She didn't accept the first 'victim' but liked Ollie:love:

She still likes to wind him up a bit but he puts her in her place and they are fine. She is quite independant and likes to do her own thing during the day but likes to snuggle up at night.

I think it's quite common for buns that are stroppy with humans to behave completely differently when presented with other rabbits in neutral territory. We make these assumptions by translating their behaviour from one situation to another when it's not transferrable.

As an aside, personally I wouldn't swap them around or let them see or sniff each other through bars before bonding. I think it just unsettles them further and can make a territorial bunny even more stressed and can wind them up so much that they then go on the offensive when you do put them together.

Hi, I remember you saying about bonding the two of them and that was before your newbie came along, you will be fine I reckon. I like the swapping over and letting them smell each other I think it just gets to a point where they are semi-familiar. I think the key will be you-you have to remain confident and calm and try not to stand frozen to the spot or the tension will transfer to them. I know exactly how you feel as I have this to come too and Gizmo is soooo passive and quite small whereas Ness is a bit bigger and no so lovey dovey, although saying that she is 2 and hasn't been spayed yet, she is going in early January and once she is healed etc after a month or so I will be doing the bonding I am going to do the bonding on neutral territory-probably one of my spare rooms upstairs, I am going in with them.If I sense any real hostility, I will intervene and sit down - I want them to know that I am the one in control and they both accept me as 'mum' separately at the moment and I have taught them both 'no' so I hope it will be alright. I would trust your own instincts, providing it's on neutral ground and you are there to intervene if really necessary just be brave. All bunnies are different as are the owners, obviously there are similarities but, it really does depend on lots of things. It will take time to work out the new hierarchy and I know lots of people say you have to keep them together once you start it, I am not convinced by this. I know it's probably quicker but, I like the softly softly building up to being together so if you are worried just do a little bit each day and increase the length of time - eventually they will get so used to each other, this is assuming they don't just start laying into each other which I would have thought was unusual. Best of luck - you can do it!!!

I know lots of people say you have to keep them together once you start it, I am not convinced by this.

I have to say I find it incredibly frustrating when people come on and make random comments like this with no evidence to back it up! For goodness sake, most of the rescues on here do it in this way and with good reason - they find that it works best, results in quicker, less stressful bonds, less injuries and less failures. How many bonds and what experience are you basing your conviction on?

:wave: I am sorry if I have upset you - it's only my opinion ! I haven't said I don't believe it the wording was that I am not convinced - maybe I will be in time. I am just thinking that a rescue situation does differ from a permanent home, in my case anyway. My buns do get a lot of interaction and time spent with them which may not be possible in a rescue environment thats all. I would have thought which ever way people choose as long as the rabbits are safe, happy and ultimately get along what difference does it make. I am not telling Kath to do it any other way than she is comfortable with for herself and her buns. Other people have replied on other threads about bonding with a different method that has worked for them and involves swapping pens, litter trays etc and even putting them together and building it up, we are all different as are the buns. I respect your opinion and you probably do have more experience than me but, I am entitled to mine. Kath will decide what is the right method for her and her buns. :)

I have to say I find it incredibly frustrating when people come on and make random comments like this with no evidence to back it up! For goodness sake, most of the rescues on here do it in this way and with good reason - they find that it works best, results in quicker, less stressful bonds, less injuries and less failures. How many bonds and what experience are you basing your conviction on?

I have to say I feel like a naughty little kid now:lol::lol:

I totally agree that Kath will decide what is right for her and her buns, but I do think she should be informed by people who actually know from experience what they are talking about rather than people who just have an opinion without anything to back it up.

Of course what is important is that the rabbits are safe, happy and ultimately get along...if you look at some posts by Janice-arc, for instance, who is probably one of the most experienced bonders on the forum, she will tell you that she thinks it makes no positive difference, or possibly a negative difference, to do all the swapping and gradual introductions first.

How the buns interact with humans (i.e. whether they get a lot of interaction because they're in a home rather than a rescue) has no bearing on the way they will react when you put them in a bonding situation so I don't see that it's relevant to the way that bondings should take place to be honest :? It will of course mean that they still have plenty of attention during the longer period of bonding, but that doesn't alter the fact that keep moving them around, changing their territory, giving them a friend then taking it away again is any less confusing or frustrating for them.

When I first bonded bunnies about 15 years ago, it was all short introductions and bathtubs...there's a good reason that the common practice has changed to the 'leave them together' technique over the past 15 years, and that's simply because people find that it works better!

:lol:

tbh I am just going to see how it goes - I just wondered whether buns were any different to other buns than humans :?

Im nervous after Oreos and Charlies little spat the other day and if that is a sign of how things will be - I will need a fair few glasses of wine for my nerves - they did just 'lay into each other' :cry:

I found the cage swapping seemed to settle Oreo and Sooty and I think now I have done that to carry on with Charlie for this week - whether I should have done that I dont know but its done now :?
I will def try and keep them together - Im in it for the long haul - im prepared which is why I took the week off - I would rather get the initial fighting over and done with and dont think I could keep putting myself through that - let alone the buns..I will set up a bed next to them for the first few nights as well.

Its interesting what you said Vicky about the human interaction as I was thinking that maybe it is harder to Bond house buns due to the interaction they have with me - I know some people say not to be in the pen with them but i certainly think I will be near if not in it with them. I think I will just have to see how it goes to the approach I take at the time - its a bit like a birthing plan (it never goes to plan :lol:)

Thanks for the advice both of you xx

I totally agree that Kath will decide what is right for her and her buns, but I do think she should be informed by people who actually know from experience what they are talking about rather than people who just have an opinion without anything to back it up.

Of course what is important is that the rabbits are safe, happy and ultimately get along...if you look at some posts by Janice-arc, for instance, who is probably one of the most experienced bonders on the forum, she will tell you that she thinks it makes no positive difference, or possibly a negative difference, to do all the swapping and gradual introductions first.

How the buns interact with humans (i.e. whether they get a lot of interaction because they're in a home rather than a rescue) has no bearing on the way they will react when you put them in a bonding situation so I don't see that it's relevant to the way that bondings should take place to be honest :? It will of course mean that they still have plenty of attention during the longer period of bonding, but that doesn't alter the fact that keep moving them around, changing their territory, giving them a friend then taking it away again is any less confusing or frustrating for them.

When I first bonded bunnies about 15 years ago, it was all short introductions and bathtubs...there's a good reason that the common practice has changed to the 'leave them together' technique over the past 15 years, and that's simply because people find that it works better!

Your whole tone is slightly unnecessarily condescending and I will keep this brief as I don't want to argue with you. You don't know me or how much experience I have or indeed, if you do know anything about me it doesn't mean you know who I know for example and what I might be basing my opinion on. It is only an opinion not an instruction. I didn't suggest 'giving them a friend and taking it away again' that is just silly. I suggested that if there was hostility or aggression a 'time-out' scenario may help where they could still see and smell each other in pens next to each other, then build up the time allowed. I am not even going to bother explaining myself frankly - this is an open forum with different levels of experience and different ages and we are all entitled to comment on posts. It is up to the person asking the question to take all the information and weigh it up, ultimately she is a grown woman and can decide what she would like to do. If you have an issue with anything I have said as being 'mis-informing' then get in touch with the moderators about it. I am not the one claiming to be an expert!!!! This isn't an experts only forum is it?

:lol:

tbh I am just going to see how it goes - I just wondered whether buns were any different to other buns than humans :?

Im nervous after Oreos and Charlies little spat the other day and if that is a sign of how things will be - I will need a fair few glasses of wine for my nerves - they did just 'lay into each other' :cry:

I found the cage swapping seemed to settle Oreo and Sooty and I think now I have done that to carry on with Charlie for this week - whether I should have done that I dont know but its done now :?
I will def try and keep them together - Im in it for the long haul - im prepared which is why I took the week off - I would rather get the initial fighting over and done with and dont think I could keep putting myself through that - let alone the buns..I will set up a bed next to them for the first few nights as well.

Its interesting what you said Vicky about the human interaction as I was thinking that maybe it is harder to Bond house buns due to the interaction they have with me - I know some people say not to be in the pen with them but i certainly think I will be near if not in it with them. I think I will just have to see how it goes to the approach I take at the time - its a bit like a birthing plan (it never goes to plan :lol:)

Thanks for the advice both of you xx

Kath I think you sound like a chilled bunny mummy and are understandably nervous - it is going to have to be a case of trusting yourself and your gut instincts. I know you love your bunnies deeply and won't let them hurt each other and eventually after they have totally stressed you out they will probably flop out and you will be shattered. I have every faith in you and send lots of bravery and good luck vibes - p/s the glass of wine will deffo help !!!:lol::lol::love:

Thanks for the bravery and Good Luck vibes I will definetly need it - Im really not sure how people do it all the time - maybe im making a mountain out of a mole hill - I really hope so!!

Thanks for the bravery and Good Luck vibes I will definetly need it - Im really not sure how people do it all the time - maybe im making a mountain out of a mole hill - I really hope so!!

I don't think you are, it's a nervous time. Is your other half going to be with you aswell?

Just thought aswell maybe the other day when Oreo and Charlie had a 'spat' it was because it was a shock for both of them, maybe they knew Oreo shouldn't have done it? If your other half was trying to get Oreo etc and he had startled Charlie ? - also it wasn't neutral it was in 'Charlies' zone so hopefully that won't be the same again. Keeping fingers crossed for you x

Kath - it sounds as if you've got it all under control and you're certainly right that bunnies haven't read the text book and won't go along with it, much like the birthing plan :lol:

Vicki - I really couldn't give a flying fig whether you think my tone is condescending. I have a lot of opinions on your posts as well, which I'm not going to share here but I'm sure you can guess.

Yes indeed it is up to people to weigh advice, and of course it's not a forum just of experts, but it would be helpful to people being given advice, if they are given advice based on something rather than just someone's gut feeling or random opinion. I don't know about you, but I'd rather know whether the advice I'm getting is from people who actually know and have experience of something or from someone on the internet who just feels like trying to be friendly and helpful but actually doing anything but (and I'm not just referring to you and this thread). I don't know about your experience, but to be honest, the advice you're giving out sometimes on here is not helpful.

Quite honestly, and this is a tangent from this thread now, I think if people haven't got any experienced advice to offer, then don't offer it. It can do more harm than good when well-meaning people leap in with opinions that are not founded on anything. Offer support and friendship but please know your limits!

OH has offered and I might be grateful for another pair of hands but not sure if we are just going to panic each other :oops: :lol:

Yes it was defintely a shock for them both I think - as oreo was making a bid for freedom and ended up with Charlie and Charlie was sitting unawares in his pen -which was HIS!.. Im soo hoping its not going to be like that!

Kath - it sounds as if you've got it all under control and you're certainly right that bunnies haven't read the text book and won't go along with it, much like the birthing plan :lol:

Vicki - I really couldn't give a flying fig whether you think my tone is condescending. I have a lot of opinions on your posts as well, which I'm not going to share here but I'm sure you can guess.

Yes indeed it is up to people to weigh advice, and of course it's not a forum just of experts, but it would be helpful to people being given advice, if they are given advice based on something rather than just someone's gut feeling or random opinion. I don't know about you, but I'd rather know whether the advice I'm getting is from people who actually know and have experience of something or from someone on the internet who just feels like trying to be friendly and helpful but actually doing anything but (and I'm not just referring to you and this thread). I don't know about your experience, but to be honest, the advice you're giving out sometimes on here is not helpful.

Quite honestly, and this is a tangent from this thread now, I think if people haven't got any experienced advice to offer, then don't offer it. It can do more harm than good when well-meaning people leap in with opinions that are not founded on anything. Offer support and friendship but please know your limits!

Merry Christmas to you too and thanks for all your kind words. I hope you feel proud of yourself.

OH has offered and I might be grateful for another pair of hands but not sure if we are just going to panic each other :oops: :lol:

Yes it was defintely a shock for them both I think - as oreo was making a bid for freedom and ended up with Charlie and Charlie was sitting unawares in his pen -which was HIS!.. Im soo hoping its not going to be like that!

:lol::lol: Your poor other half must of been like OMG! I do hope when you do it on neutral turf they will be calmer :roll: there wasn't any real damage was there?

:lol::lol: Your poor other half must of been like OMG! I do hope when you do it on neutral turf they will be calmer :roll: there wasn't any real damage was there?

Yes he was on the phone at the time to me and I could hear everything - he didnt put the phone down so I had to hang on and listen to all the commotion in the background :cry::cry:

No damage apart form a scratch to Oreos ear and ALOT of fur :shock: - a bit from both I think! Both are eating well etc

Back