• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Disaster, Elyse Injured :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I hate, absolutely HATE bonding :cry:

Today I wanted to introduce Harry to Elyse. Well, it was all out war at first sight and Elyse now has a chunk of flesh missing from her backside :cry:
Its not deep but still nasty. She's had the wound cleaned with hibiscrub and is now on abx and Metacam.

I really dont need this stress right now :cry:

All I want is for my Buns to be happy and it is very clear that both Harry and Elyse are now definately not

:cry:

Sadly, it doesn't always go according to plan. But at least you tried, and nobody got really badly hurt. Just put it down to experience and look forward to the next one :D

Awww hun Im sorry. But unfortunatly if they really dont agree with esch other not much will change it.
And your buns ARE happy (just some not together!)
(big hugs)

:cry: so sorry they are both uphappy :( At least you gave them a shot though, it could have worked out so don't feel bad for trying x

I am wondering if it is a little too soon to try bonding her especially as the last bonding broke down due to a fight rather than being alone from a berevement :? Elyse will probably still be on her guard after recent experiences so probably needs abit of time to settle down and relax first. Maybe in a few weeks she will bond much more happily :)

And if you are anything like us it is probably difficult to find somewhere totally neutral away from bunny smells to do the bonding which also makes it more difficult, especially this time of year when the outdoors can't be used.

Maybe they just aren't right for eachother. I had a buck come for a partner last week. The people had waited for the doe they liked best to be ready for quite a while. But he hated her. And she hated him. Ten minutes in a carrier made it quite clear that both were up for all out war. So we switched the doe for another. Totally different atmostphere! The buck who had attacked first relaxed and ate some hay and the doe gave him a thorough inspection and told him he could groom her if he wanted to. He didn't. She got a bit impatient and so gave him a demonstration of what she wanted. He tried to sulk but she was too cheerful and was so happy to have a companion that within two days they were all loved up, all his grumps forgotten. I just love it when you find the right partner:) I've done four other bondings this week too and they are all very happy. One is a group of seven. I've seen poor scared Vanessa come out of herself entirely and Valleri do a binky from a standing start:)
Not that it always goes well:~ I had a doe returned last week after getting herself kicked by a big grumpy buck, lovely wound on her belly:roll: I knew she was playing with fire being feisty with him (he did this before) but he seemed happy with her, so I sent them home. I think leaving the hutch in the shed may have been the trigger. An open space where they can see each other all the time is vital for newly bonded pairs. Most of the trouble I have when pairs go home is from access to different levels or a box or hutch to hide in.
So don't worry, you'll find the right pairing for them in the end.

Back