• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

uh-oh, another newbie lol

Smithie

New Kit
Hi there, my name is Alexandra, known to all as Alex. I have kept a rabbit for the last 5 years, but sadly my lovely Minstral passed away last month :( he was a beautiful B&W lop eared, who is sadly missed. We have another bunny, Nalla, who I took off of a friend, whos ex had bought it for her daughter without asking her, over 6 months down the line, said daughter was completly ignoring her, and my friend had health problems which meant she couldn't take on her care. She is a long haired lionhead, and I have to be honest here, I will never take on another long haired rabbit, it's a nightmare. especially with a bunny who was neglected for almost a year! She hates being touched, or handled in anyway, so stressful for the poor baby:( I'm hoping to poick up some tips on making things easier for her.

And we went to the sales on sunday, and came home with 2 more rabbits :oops:. Went into PAH to see if there were any bargains to be had, and looked at the adoptions section (lethal!). And there they were, a mother and daughter, who had been there about a month, and my OH fell in love lol. So home with us they came (well there was the playhouse sitting there empty siince Minstral passed!), and they have been named Custard and Onyx :)

I also have many other pets, cats, ferrets, guinea pigs, chickens and hamsters. And often say that if I'd had them first i wouldn't have had the kids:lol:.

So ta ta for now, and look forward to getting to know you all :)

ooooooooo i love chickens! I used to have chickens when I lived at home and geese, ducks, avairys..........list goes on a bit like you! now i've just got the rabbits and two cats, two dogs, ummm a few birds i guess things don't change lol
:wave: to the forum i'm new here too its very friendly and some very expirenced rabbit people that are always keen to help its great :D

Hello and welcome. Well done for taking on some rescue buns. I think you will probably be able to win over Nala but she will need some time and patience and to get to know you on her terms.

You may also want to look into spaying at some point as it may (not guaranteed though) enable you to bond all 3 rabbits. It's also beneficial for preventing uterine and mammary cancer.

Hello and welcome. Well done for taking on some rescue buns. I think you will probably be able to win over Nala but she will need some time and patience and to get to know you on her terms.

You may also want to look into spaying at some point as it may (not guaranteed though) enable you to bond all 3 rabbits. It's also beneficial for preventing uterine and mammary cancer.

I've never spayed any of my buns in the past, however, i am considering it this time, hoping to as you say, maybe bond the girls at some point :)

I have some ideas with nervous bunnies - it always works for me

Have the bunny indoors, in a room frequently visited but not too noisey. Leave the bunny in it's cage/crate for a few days, only putting food in. Then open the door for it to come out if it wishes. You need to stay in the room but don't move about too much, don't make any sudden or loud noises. Wait until the bunny goes back into it's cage/crate (it's very important you don't chase or force it back as it will destroy the trust). Continue this for a few days, then the next step is to open it's door, then lay perfectly still on the floor (put down a pillow and maybe put some music on as you will need to stay there awhile). Bunnies are naturally curious and will approach you, don't move, let it sniff you, walk on you etc. If you repeat this everyday the bunny will be very relaxed around you in no time. Once it happily comes up to you, give it bits of treats/veg. Within weeks it'll be like a new bun. Over time it should be happyto sit with you while you brush and stroke it and it won't panic so much when being handled.

It takes a lot of time the first few weeks for the bunny to fully gain trust. Try not to approach it at all when it's first out, always let it come to you first. I've done this with two VERY nervous aggressive bunnies, now they are absolute sweethearts and much happier bunnies :D best of luck

Back