• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some of the birds.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Brunhilda is still not well and I fear we may lose her in the new year, we will certainly need to run more tests to find out why she is still wheezy after 2 full courses of antibiotics.
056.jpg

Mulberry is now inside for treatment because he has a sore leg, like Velvet.
058.jpg

The bluebirds are very happy though, Yogi on the left and Zelda on the right.
047.jpg

Last edited:
What sweet hens they are. I have got one poorly hen in with the latest lot of ex-bats that I am still tube feeding.

Don't know if the wheezing could be aspergillosis could it? We have had a crow in with it and another rescue has had an American Kestrel suffering from it. We have both used courses of baytril to no avail and thought we were going to loose both as they really went downhill. However we have used metronidazole and both birds have fully recovered. We used it orally and quite a high doseage. It took about a week to take any effect. Might be worth a try - see what vet says.

What sweet hens they are. I have got one poorly hen in with the latest lot of ex-bats that I am still tube feeding.

Don't know if the wheezing could be aspergillosis could it? We have had a crow in with it and another rescue has had an American Kestrel suffering from it. We have both used courses of baytril to no avail and thought we were going to loose both as they really went downhill. However we have used metronidazole and both birds have fully recovered. We used it orally and quite a high doseage. It took about a week to take any effect. Might be worth a try - see what vet says.

:wave:We did have an outbreak of a fungal infection, but a sample showed it wasn't aspergillosis but geotrichum candidum. They were all treated with 'sporanox' an antifungal treatment. We still lost 3 cockerels but no hens. We were told not to use antibiotics as it actually removes bacteria which would compete with the fungus. One vet does suspect she has aspergillosis in her air sacs, but she has a high temperature so I don't know if that goes along with a fungal infection and she is very bright and eating well. Another vet thinks she has a heart infection. She has had a course of betamox and recovered she then developed the symptoms again and this time the betamox didn't work, so she was put on baytril. The vets think, because they are so old, most are 6-7 years old, their immunity is reduced and the wet autumn and now cold winter is causing problems.:(

Last edited:
What are the bluebirds? They look like my Linnies.

The bluebirds are celestial parrotlets, they were going to be PTS until we took them, they are great little characters- Yogi makes us laugh so much as he courts Zelda, and then they have a very noisy domestic.:lol:

They are the first 'parrots' we have had, but may be taking in a few more in the new year, if they can't find a home elsewhere.

I've spoken to the vet who is interested in birds and she is wondering if Brunhilda has psittacosis, apparently poultry can get it, although it is rare. She is going to order another antibiotic to try and find out dosage. I did ask if it was worth x-rays but she didn't think it would change treatment and she is a high risk for a GA. Hopefully this will work.

Mulberry will be booked in to have an op on his leg, and remove the growth on it, we will send it off for tests because the antibiotic we used on Velvet didn't really work. Again, we don't know how old he is, but he is middle aged to elderly.

I just hope we can find out what is going on and fix it.:(

I've spoken to the vet who is interested in birds and she is wondering if Brunhilda has psittacosis, apparently poultry can get it, although it is rare. She is going to order another antibiotic to try and find out dosage. I did ask if it was worth x-rays but she didn't think it would change treatment and she is a high risk for a GA. Hopefully this will work.

Mulberry will be booked in to have an op on his leg, and remove the growth on it, we will send it off for tests because the antibiotic we used on Velvet didn't really work. Again, we don't know how old he is, but he is middle aged to elderly.

I just hope we can find out what is going on and fix it.:(

Psittacosis can be diagnosed from a blood sample so is quite easy to investigate without GA :)

Back