• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conscious dentals- Snowdrop

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I know this has been debated before so I dont want this to turn into an argument over whether people approve of conscious dentals or not. I would just like a little advice about Snowdrop please. Untill we see the vet tomorrow we wont know if it is dental issues but I have thought about the uses of GA with her before so would still like opinions.

As you know she has a gut condition which would make a GA risky for her. She is quite a nervous bun but is very good at being handled and will lie still while the vets treat her, she has had xrays, ultrasounds and a wound on her chin cleaned out and glued all without any sedation.

If you were in my shoes would you want Snowdrop to have a dental with a GA, just with a little sedation or consciously? I know some people are totally againt conscious dentals but would you risk a GA in an unwell bun when the procedure could have been done without?

Oh God, tricky one.
But I've had problems with my teeth, and would night like them to be messed with without any sedation.. :?

I've never had a bun have conscious dentals Rach as our vet doesn't do them, so don't know a great deal about them. However, if they were an option at our vets then yes I would try that as the preferred option for Snowdrop or at the most with a very light sedation.

Will be thinking of Snowdrop tomorrow xxx

Both Tilley and Harry are dental buns, Harry has his incisors clipped every 4 weeks, Tilley has had molar spurs burred twice since she's been with me. I won't put Tilley under a GA unless absolutely necessary as you know she had head tilt, both went to Gamston on Christmas Eve (yes perfect timing) Annie just gave Tilley a light sedative and she was eating as soon as she got home - the same with Harry, so I'm all for them:D

I have had my bunny rosie done with both a sedation and rescue buns with consious dentals. Personally if I had been able to get Rosie to the consious dental vet I would have preferred to go down that route, especially if it were to be a continual thing, rather than a one off. If I knew my buns was in the high risk for ga then personally I would definately go down the consious route but definately talk to your vet about the pros and cons and what they think would be right for snowdrop if dental is behind her problems

really hard call.. if it could be done successfully with sedation and not a GA id want to try that route first. but if the teeth were bad enough and GA was the only option i would go ahead knowing i may lose my heart in the process.

i dont think Pearl will ever be allowed sedation or a GA but id rather lose her while asleep with no knowledge than leave her to dental pain.

i hope its not her teeth hun i really do, must be so stressful trying to work out whats the right thing to do :cry::cry::cry:

really hard call.. if it could be done successfully with sedation and not a GA id want to try that route first. but if the teeth were bad enough and GA was the only option i would go ahead knowing i may lose my heart in the process.

i dont think Pearl will ever be allowed sedation or a GA but id rather lose her while asleep with no knowledge than leave her to dental pain.

i hope its not her teeth hun i really do, must be so stressful trying to work out whats the right thing to do :cry::cry::cry:

I am praying it is her teeth, at least we know how to deal with that, even if it will be risky and I have to make some hard decisions.

If its her tummy then I really cant see her getting better. We have always known that she might not be with us for too long as eventually her stomach would get worse but she has been doing so well recently I just didnt see his coming.

Ive taken foster buns for concious dentals before. Both were fine, and the vet was fab. If i had a bun with dental problems theres no way i would want to put them through the stress of a GA when theres no need :?

xXx

Gypsy had one last week. She just had one spur on a back tooth. It meant she was at the vets for minutes instead of hours, had no anaesthetic to cope with and could eat straight away. IMHO that's much less stressful. The vet wouldn't have done it if she wasn't relaxed enough to hold still. Obviously for more complicated dental work or a rabbit that can't be easily handled it is necessary but that's something you need to work out with your vet.

Tamsin

Gypsy had one last week. She just had one spur on a back tooth. It meant she was at the vets for minutes instead of hours, had no anaesthetic to cope with and could eat straight away. IMHO that's much less stressful. The vet wouldn't have done it if she wasn't relaxed enough to hold still. Obviously for more complicated dental work or a rabbit that can't be easily handled it is necessary but that's something you need to work out with your vet.

Tamsin

Thank you. She is very easy to handle and I am sure she would stay still for them to do it. I have just read through the conscious dentals debate thread and have given myself nightmares about it as the two vets who post on here both said they would never do a conscious dental.

having cared for many rabbits who go through conscious dentals, I'd go for it wherever possible... there are some occasions when they'll need a whiff of gas, but on the whole it's a quick procedure and nobun I've looked after has been stressed afterwards :)

Rach, if you go to Gamston the vets there will decide which method they think is most suitable.

Bramble is probably going to have a GA there tomorrow so the vet can get a good look at what's going on with her teeth and abscesses, but she's an extreme case and most of my other dental buns don't require that level of sedation.

Not going to post more than to say I wish Snowdrop well :)

I know you dont approve Jane, but thanks for the well wishes. Its such a tought decision and no matter what I do there will always be others who would have done the opposite and tell me I was wrong.

Rach, if you go to Gamston the vets there will decide which method they think is most suitable.

Bramble is probably going to have a GA there tomorrow so the vet can get a good look at what's going on with her teeth and abscesses, but she's an extreme case and most of my other dental buns don't require that level of sedation.

Thanks. I think if my vet doesnt seem confident in treating Snowdrop then I will ask to be referred. I like to have my bunnies registered in Southwell as they are close for emergencies and they are very good at times. But the vet who usually see's Snowdrop usually doesnt know what to try with her as she has never met this condition before.

Poor Snowdrop :( If I was in the same situation as you I would go for a conscious dental. Recently I lost one of my rabbits after she had a GA, she had conditions that we didn't know about and shouldn't have been sedated. x

Poor Snowdrop :( If I was in the same situation as you I would go for a conscious dental. Recently I lost one of my rabbits after she had a GA, she had conditions that we didn't know about and shouldn't have been sedated. x

Thanks. I too lost a bunny almost a year ago now under a GA for an xray. I know he died just after coming round incredibly stressed as his lungs filled up. I cant put Snowdrop through that.

You must have heard me talk about Lily...shes had her teeth drevilled every 3 weeks since shes been with me...with no anaesthetic or sedation.(Just front top and btm).
We then had an xray done under anaesthetic and I was terrified I was gonna lose her.Even the vet said there was a risk......but we really needed to know where Lilys teeth were going.The vet gave them a damn good seeing too whilst under GA and as I had asked to see how Lilys lungs were (chronic snuffles bunny), we also discovered Lilys curvature.The GA did us a favour (sort of).
Its a hard one but you and your vet know the bun better than anyone.
Best of luck and noserubs for the special girlie.xxxx

Homer has a conscious every month to keep on top of his condition and is fine after it (he is a laid back bunny :love:). Next month he needs a GA as my vet needs to do a more thorough one.

Last time he had a GA he only lasted 5 weeks before he needed another one so they do not last that much longer for him if he does have GA.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I am going to the vets in an hour to have Thistle's teeth done and it will HAVE to be conscious.

She is ex rescue and what we did not know when we got her was that she has almost no working lungs due to infections in the past.

The first time my vets tried to put her under GA they almost lost her within moments - and the last time she was examined whilst stressed she started to turn blue.

She squeeks and snorts when you pick her up.

We are hoping this time to lightly calm and sedate (perhaps use valium and then wait for it to work) and then dental.

Her front teeth which have never been a problem before have grown enormously in the last two weeks for some reason that needs ascertaining.

So like you we will be having a conscious dental.

Back