• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are there any long-term health implications for a doe who had a litter too young?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
It's something I've been wondering before I even adopted Tinks. I know that there are many good reasons why not to breed them/let them have a litter young but the reasons I've heard are all to do with at the time of the birth/raising the litter.

Tinks was pregnant at about 12-14 weeks old, successfully raised 2 kits and then was neutered at apx 6 months old. She had ?upper respiratory tract infection a year ago which I presumed to be because she had been 'weakened' by all she had to deal with early in her life (she lived in dire conditions during the early part of her pregnancy too :cry:). She's just coming up to two years old now.

I'm thinking along the lines of calcium deficient bones and that sort of thing :?

I'd be grateful if anybody knows of anything to watch out for, just so that I can be prepared, perhaps give her extra care in areas she may be more vulnerable.

Thank you.

The only problem I can think of would be the fact that she was growing whilst pregnant. This could do something to her bones (I don't actually know) and her size might be smaller. They're quite resilient little things. I'm sure in the wild they have litters that young (But probably don't live as long as your average domestic rabbit).

It'd be interesting to know if anyone knows!!:)

Thanks :D. I don't know how big her parents are or what her expected size would be but she is my biggest bunster at about 3kg (not overweight), so she doesn't *seem* to have suffered in that regard.

:lol::lol:....just imagine how big she COULD have been then!! (If my theory is correct at all) :shock:

She should be okay. My Ferris was kept with an un-neutered male from when she was bought by her previous owner. She obviously had a litter at the earliest possible date, all of which she killed. She got pregnant again immediately afterwards, and successfully raised 6 kits.

By the time the babies were weaned she was looking quite lean and scraggy, so I carried on feeding her the high calorie junior food until her condition improved and she was fully grown.

She is quite a large rabbit (French lop x I think) and now weighs about 3.5 to 4 kgs. She still has a bit of a gangly look about her...a bit like a badly stuffed PJ case, but she's now about 3 years old and is one of my healthiest rabbits (touch wood), having needed no vet treatment at all

Never thought about this. Phoebe is 2.6kg. Hope yours are all well.

So far as I know, thank you, but I'm extremely paranoid :oops: Rudy is livelier than her but I don't think she's ill ... not when I'm being rational anyway. She's a fair bit bigger than her sister then :shock::shock:

She should be okay. My Ferris was kept with an un-neutered male from when she was bought by her previous owner. She obviously had a litter at the earliest possible date, all of which she killed. She got pregnant again immediately afterwards, and successfully raised 6 kits.

By the time the babies were weaned she was looking quite lean and scraggy, so I carried on feeding her the high calorie junior food until her condition improved and she was fully grown.

She is quite a large rabbit (French lop x I think) and now weighs about 3.5 to 4 kgs. She still has a bit of a gangly look about her...a bit like a badly stuffed PJ case, but she's now about 3 years old and is one of my healthiest rabbits (touch wood), having needed no vet treatment at all

Thanks for this, very reassuring. I've realised when I look back at pictures of Tinks when I got her how thin she looks, especially compared to now. She does look a picture of health. Not wanting to tempt fate either but she has only had her bad sneezing a year ago ... nothing else of concern. :D

She's a fair bit bigger than her sister then :shock::shock:

She lives with a very small boy (1.6kg) and I don't put a lot of food out. She isn't skinny, just lean. I always give them more in winter. (They aren't starved, the vets says their weight is spot on!!)

U/D

Just as a point of interest to anybody with a bunny with similar history. I remembered to ask Frances Harcourt-Brown if Tink might have any long-term health problems because of her history, and she reassured me that there aren't any :D

Back