• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD vaccine and antibiotics.

Jaysmonkey

Wise Old Thumper
Lola and Max are having their VHD renewed on Wednesday. However Lola is on Duphapen (antibiotic for her dental disease) will she still be able to have the vaccine?

The Duphapen was perscribed by my vet in Manchester, but since I am now at my Parents in West Yorkshire, I won't be going to the same vet for the vaccines.

Anyone know?

Cheers!

Hope you all had a good christmas!

xx

As it is a viral vaccine the antibiotic won't affect its efficacy. The only concern is that if she is trying to cope with an infection her immune system may not respond as well to the vaccine as it will be trying to combat two things at once. I would make sure she has a thorough exam and the vet is happy she is able to have the vaccine and the antibiotics themselves shouldn't be a problem.

Santa is pretty much permanently on antibiotics for her snuffles now; when she is due for her vaccinations I discuss her overall health with my vet and we take a view whether to give her the vaccine or whether to delay it. In the past we've done both, depending on how she is each time.

I don't think I'd risk it, especially if she's a house rabbit.

Thanks for the advice. When you say this do you mean you wouldn't risk giving the vaccine or you wouldn't risk not giving her the vaccine?

She is a house rabbit.

Another thing that concerns me is her and Max are bonded, if Max is to have the vaccine renewed and she doesn't will this effect her?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. When you say this do you mean you wouldn't risk giving the vaccine or you wouldn't risk not giving her the vaccine?

She is a house rabbit.

Sorry...I meant I wouldn't risk giving the vaccine until she's a bit better. If she's indoors the chances of VHD are pretty low.

I'm not sure the risks of VHD in indoor rabbits is lower. In fact in some ways I think it might be higher :? VHD can survive for several months in the environment and can be brought in on shoes. I don't often climb into my rabbit's outdoor runs so in the event that I did have it on my shoes, I wouldn't be placing it directly in their environment. However I would be doing so if it was on my shoes and I walked into my house if my rabbits lived indoors.

I wouldn't let the bonding issue worry you and would definitely go ahead with Max's vaccination in any case. The VHD vaccination is made from the VHD virus so it is extremely effective, so you would be ensuring that Max is protected in any case. Think about it this way - in the event of you bringing VHD into the house, if you have 2 unvaccinated rabbits, both will succumb to it. If you have one unvaccinated and one vaccinated rabbit, then it is likely that the vaccinated rabbit will be fine and the unvaccinated one will catch VHD. Not a pleasant thought but ultimately that's the whole point of vaccination!

It's a tricky one for your poorly bun because the levels of VHD in the environment and the number of deaths it causes are pretty unknown, but I think you just need to discuss the pros and cons with your vet and take a view based on her state of health and whether her health is likely to improve further. But I would definitely vaccinate Max in any case.

I'm not sure the risks of VHD in indoor rabbits is lower. In fact in some ways I think it might be higher :? VHD can survive for several months in the environment and can be brought in on shoes. I don't often climb into my rabbit's outdoor runs so in the event that I did have it on my shoes, I wouldn't be placing it directly in their environment. However I would be doing so if it was on my shoes and I walked into my house if my rabbits lived indoors.

I wouldn't let the bonding issue worry you and would definitely go ahead with Max's vaccination in any case. The VHD vaccination is made from the VHD virus so it is extremely effective, so you would be ensuring that Max is protected in any case. Think about it this way - in the event of you bringing VHD into the house, if you have 2 unvaccinated rabbits, both will succumb to it. If you have one unvaccinated and one vaccinated rabbit, then it is likely that the vaccinated rabbit will be fine and the unvaccinated one will catch VHD. Not a pleasant thought but ultimately that's the whole point of vaccination!

It's a tricky one for your poorly bun because the levels of VHD in the environment and the number of deaths it causes are pretty unknown, but I think you just need to discuss the pros and cons with your vet and take a view based on her state of health and whether her health is likely to improve further. But I would definitely vaccinate Max in any case.

Thanks very much.:wave:

Back