• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should R.I.N. have categories?

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hope this doesnt start an argument or insult anyone...

I was just thinking, "Rabbits in Need" as a section means more to me than just "here are some rabbits needing homes". With so many forum members involved in rescues, I kinda think that it should really be reserved for rabbits with exception circumstances i.e. special needs or needing experienced homes, long-term in foster/rescue, large groups or ones needing specific housing etc.

There are so many rabbits out there that need homes, as we all know, and we are all capable of looking at websites and on the main rabbitrehome website to find an "average" bun. So i just thought we really should just be 'advertising' the exceptional ones on RIN.

So could there be categories? So that the neediest buns get the widest advertising distribution?

Discuss :wave:

That sounds like a good idea. Not sure how easy it would be to administer but maybe worth a go.

Not all rescues have decent, up-to-date websites/list their bunnies on the main Rabbit Rehome website. Neither are all members involved in rescues; when I first joined, I wasn't. I was lucky enough to see Mr Bunny advertised here by Angie. If I hadn't seen him, I wouldn't even know that BARC existed, as I had never heard of them because I live in a different county. So, he wasn't a special needs bunny, neither was he abused or neglected in the past. But he needed a home and in my view he was just as 'in need' as any other bun without a forever home. I am glad for RIN and don't believe in categories.:)

I do think its a good idea, but then... take our rescue for example. We have our own website, which Lucy does try and keep up to date (it is time consuming to list bunnies online!) but when our branch started listing on the actual rspca website, we started having a few more enquiries. Meaning... people dont actually bother to look at the websites (unless they of course look at them like i do) :lol: People wait for something to be put there in front of them!

Its a good idea though and at least Ronnie and Snowy would actually stand a chance! Even when i bump their thread no one is ever interested :( xXx

Not all rescues have decent, up-to-date websites/list their bunnies on the main Rabbit Rehome website.

But surely if someone has the details of the buns and an internet connection they can list them just as well on Rabbit Rehome as they can on RIN. I'd have thought there was a bigger 'audience' for RR than RIN anyway :?

This was discussed a few years ago and it was decided to leave it as it was, as it wasn't a huge problem...however I do now see some validity in this question being raised, as rabbits are listed so quickly that they get down to pages 2 and 3 before you've had time to blink.

Who is going to decide which the neediest bunnies are, though? Why should a bunny that has been in rescue for a long time but being spoilt by a fosterer (I haven't got a particular bunny in mind) be more in need than one from an overcrowded rescue (I haven't got a particular rescue in mind) or one whose owners are emigrating/ getting evicted/ have just adopted a vicious dog?

If you did that all that would happen is the pictures section would be full of rabbits needing homes instead :D I do see your point but don't really think it's workable, or needed really?

I think while thread fall down the pages quickly, if people are looking for a rabbit, they will trawl through all the pages to find that bunny for them, i dont think it would stop them :)

The only thing i can think that would be feasible, would be, when it comes up "available rescue" or "available individual" maybe there could be an option, that indicates that bunny needs an extra special home for whatever reasons, due to on going health problems or disabilities, so it gives it that little extra spotlight on it, without making sections and then deciding who goes in what?

Or, seperate sections for rescues themselves, and all their posts in one place, so someone can easily see what such and such rescue has up for rehoming all in one place. Or by area of the UK.

Personally i dont think it needs to be changed but i think if it was, that would be the way to do it :)

Who is going to decide which the neediest bunnies are, though? Why should a bunny that has been in rescue for a long time but being spoilt by a fosterer (I haven't got a particular bunny in mind) be more in need than one from an overcrowded rescue (I haven't got a particular rescue in mind) or one whose owners are emigrating/ getting evicted/ have just adopted a vicious dog?

I agree - I think they are all 'in need', for whatever reason. :)

I think it is fine the way it is - I cant say otherwise as I wouldnt have Dutchie!

When I was looking for a wife for Albert I went back through RIN for a few months looking for the right bun. There have been a few comments lately about whether bunny runs are needed so maybe RIN could be split into Wales/ Scotland/ North West/ South East etc etc and then maybe a special needs section

Having recently 'used' the RIN section to help re-home 2 buns that were in families where they were no longer wanted - I have thought about this.

I felt rather mean jumping in with these buns when other buns had been waiting in overflowing and money strapped rescues for so long.

But on the other hand in both cases the current owners were leaving the buns unvaccinated, uneutered, wrongly fed, ignored in small cages and in two cases (I had a third case which I rehomed to me so didn't go to RIN) physically threatened by new dogs in the house.

In fact in both cases some lovely recues did offer to help and take them in - so they would have ended up in RIN anyway but via a rescue.

But I did wonder how rescues feel about people jumping in like this - it must be difficult when you are so desperate to rehome from a rescue.

When I was looking for a wife for Albert I went back through RIN for a few months looking for the right bun.

I guess my point is - if RIN was reserved for urgent/special needs buns etc, with a clear signpost to the main Rabbit Rehome database, then people looking for a companion would go to RIN and for 'normal' buns would then be signposted to RR where they can trawl to their hearts content through a much wider range of bunnies than those listed on RIN.

I don't have a strong opinion on this either way really, just playing devil's advocate a bit.

In my opinion any rabbit needing a home is a rabbit in need .. .

yes we can put them on RR but rabbits in need helps to give them that little push by being able to update the thread , post new info and pics etc .

i do think that maybe there ought to be a *tag* for the special needs buns and perhaps the long termers or older buns .
we have a * available rescue* could we not have *available resue (older bun)* ..*available rescue (special needs )* as well . :)

In my opinion any rabbit needing a home is a rabbit in need .. .

yes we can put them on RR but rabbits in need helps to give them that little push by being able to update the thread , post new info and pics etc .

i do think that maybe there ought to be a *tag* for the special needs buns and perhaps the long termers or older buns .
we have a * available rescue* could we not have *available resue (older bun)* ..*available rescue (special needs )* as well . :)

I agree with this ^^^^

Like I say, I'm just playing devil's advocate to the debate, but by giving rabbits a little extra push, is the result that it largely just bumps up young, healthy rabbits potentially at the expense of some extra needy ones for instance those who have been in rescue for inordinately long periods of time, are elderly, have some kind of health problem etc? <cue debate about what constitutes extra needy>

Rabbits can also be 'bumped' on RR and new information can be added there - although the ability to add decent sized pictures is necessarily limited.

So I guess what I'm saying is - what is the purpose of RIN? Did admin intend it to be a database almost identical to the main RR database but for people on the forum only, or was it meant to be to highlight especially needy cases, however that's defined? And if so, is the way RIN works at the moment helping or hindering that purpose? I guess only admin can answer those questions :)

Like I say, I'm just playing devil's advocate to the debate, but by giving rabbits a little extra push, is the result that it largely just bumps up young, healthy rabbits potentially at the expense of some extra needy ones for instance those who have been in rescue for inordinately long periods of time, are elderly, have some kind of health problem etc? <cue debate about what constitutes extra needy>

Rabbits can also be 'bumped' on RR and new information can be added there - although the ability to add decent sized pictures is necessarily limited.

So I guess what I'm saying is - what is the purpose of RIN? Did admin intend it to be a database almost identical to the main RR database but for people on the forum only, or was it meant to be to highlight especially needy cases, however that's defined? And if so, is the way RIN works at the moment helping or hindering that purpose? I guess only admin can answer those questions :)

i can certainly see where your coming from ... and agree to a certain extent ... but still think just adding extra tags would work . :)

I have to say I find RR listing a bit of a challenge, and much more time consuming than listing in RIN.

I do wonder if the title of the individual listings could give an indication as to where the animal is based, so you are not trawling through rescues that are out of your reach/ would need a bunny run

Ok I'm prepared to be shot down in flames on here if I upset any body then I'm sorry.

I can see where most of you are coming from but I thought that RIN was for animals that needed to be helped quickly.
As in large rescues,like the 61 that Alice was helping or the breeding animals that Snowy helped years ago_Or animals that where in danger, ie animals that had been abandoned,where in danger of being set free.

I feel that if rescues have the time to post normal animals that are waiting for homes, in RIN then they have time to put them on the proper RR site. This can be updated just as easily as it can on here and would get animals seen by a larger audience.

I understand that all animals are 'in need' so to speak but there are other ways of getting these animals seen.

I have never used RIN in fact I don't have permission to use it, and I've been running a rescue for 10 years and have managed to have numerous animals adopted in that time. Yes I do have my own website and I do use RR but only for animals that have been sitting here for a while.
As I say I'm sorry if this post upsets some people but I do feel that RIN is abused and not actually used for it's proper purpose. Which means that when it is used, the animals it should be there to highlight, quickly fall by the wayside and unless the person using it is constantly there bumping it up it isn't worth using.

Some interesting points...

I think i am in agreement with Santa and rpngwelfare - there should be some distinction between rabbits listed on RR and those in RIN, as i also feel that RIN is really for specific causes/needs.

On RR you can search by breed, area, status etc so find your ideal bunny by whatever criteria suits you - on RIN you can only trawl through, vaguely guided by the title descriptions.

If i were to get more buns, i would look on RIN but there are more again on RR and i think searching RR would actually save time.

If people have time to make threads about buns they have to put on RIN, they have time to make them an RR post.

I cant help thinking that if there were fewer 'normal' buns to chose from on RIN, the long-termers etc would be rehomed faster - they wouldnt be competing with all the cute, young newcomers. They all need homes, but as members of the forum we are in a unique position to be that bit more knowledgeable and supported and so offer homes to the needier buns.

As a 'browser' of RIN; I think it's easier to look through than Rabbit Rehome.

One thing I would say is that perhaps there could be a separate section for Rescues to be able to list their website if they have one with some details of where they are, how far away they will rehome to etc. together with contact details. Kind of a Rescue Database?

What I have found browsing through is that rabbits that are Reserved / Rehomed tend to stay in RIN - clogging it up a little. I can understand 'Reserved' rabbits staying on there because as we all know; reservations don't always work out and often the rabbit ends up becoming available again. But when a rabbit has actually gone to its new home would it not be better for the thread to be removed altogether so it doesn't clog up RIN? :)

I also think (and have been guilty of this in the past myself,lol) that when someone has reserved a rabbit no-one should post on it (unless it becomes available again) as this 'bumps up' an animal that doesn't need to be 'bumped'.

On a different animal forum I use no-one other than rescues is allowed to post on the 'In Need of New Homes' section - anyone who wants more information has to contact the person advertising it. Obviously rescues can add extra information, bump up etc. but no-one else can. Maybe this could work? x

Back