PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing on a Sunday afternoon

chrispatch
27-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Not the best quality pics as they were taken through double glazing.
Piggy is in her favourite position, I don't think she minds which one she sits on.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/chrisb80/ridingpig001.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/chrisb80/ridingpig003.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/chrisb80/ridingpig002.jpg

tracey madigan
27-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Ah that is so nice ,what breed are the brown rabbits ? They are massive,I have two four month old french lops but it does not look like they are going to be that big lol

lottielouise
27-12-2009, 10:20 PM
gorgeous looking bunnies, but I feel trifle might be in order :?

bluebunny
27-12-2009, 10:25 PM
gorgeous looking bunnies, but I feel trifle might be in order :?

:shock:

chrispatch
27-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Ah that is so nice ,what breed are the brown rabbits ? They are massive,I have two four month old french lops but it does not look like they are going to be that big lol

I think they are Continental Giants and are approx 20 months old. We only aquired them at about 11 weeks as they were bought by my daughter in law at an auction market. A buck and a doe, we had them neutered and they are inseperable. I assume they are brother and sister.

raine
28-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice pictures of your bunnies. Have you considered bonding the guinea pig with another guinea pig?? Although they appear to be happy, it would be best not to leave piggy with the continentals. If you do a search on the forum, you will find all the reasons why.

VickiP
28-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Hello Chrispatch, hope you enjoy the forum. Your bunnies are big and very sweet, do they live with the guineau? What do you feed them on I bet they can get through some spring greens lol. There are some wonderful idea's for housing that might be of interest to you on here, loads of ideas - if you click search and then type in housing you will see lovely ''set-ups' and might get some idea's as I think what you have in place does look a tad on the small side. Do they get a lot of free range time aswell? I spotted your little tortoise aswell awww how old is it?

biscandmatt1
28-12-2009, 05:31 PM
firstly.... here's some trifle! :)

secondly.... rabbits and guinea pigs should not be kept together, or even be allowed to play together... even if they seem happy.

guinea pigs need company of their own kind, they have different dietry needs to rabbits, and a rabbit can easily kill a guinea pig... just one kick by accident...

they are all beautiful though...:)

VickiP
28-12-2009, 05:33 PM
firstly.... here's some trifle! :)

secondly.... rabbits and guinea pigs should not be kept together, or even be allowed to play together... even if they seem happy.

guinea pigs need company of their own kind, they have different dietry needs to rabbits, and a rabbit can easily kill a guinea pig... just one kick by accident...

they are all beautiful though...:)

I ate half a raspberry one on Boxing Day greedy !- nom nom nom :D :lol:
(edited as my laptop is playing up) grrrr

*lily*
28-12-2009, 05:50 PM
The OP has already answered questions about the rabbits with the guinea pig in previous posts.

VickiP
28-12-2009, 06:08 PM
The OP has already answered questions about the rabbits with the guinea pig in previous posts.

Where is the guinea? Is that it on the buns back? It looks a bit like an owl's face :lol::oops: x

SisterMoonbeam
28-12-2009, 06:11 PM
:shock::shock::shock:

hmmm trifle indeed. Took me about 10 mins to figure out what the white thing was though...

beautiful bunnies...but....a piggie with giants? I assume this is all discussed on thread mentioned above as I haven't seen it yet

VickiP
28-12-2009, 06:13 PM
:shock::shock::shock:

hmmm trifle indeed. Took me about 10 mins to figure out what the white thing was though...

beautiful bunnies...but....a piggie with giants? I assume this is all discussed on thread mentioned above as I haven't seen it yet

Is that the guineau pig? The white thing, I haven't seen the other thread either, they are beautiful bunsters :love:

Santa
28-12-2009, 06:17 PM
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=166980 ;)

VickiP
28-12-2009, 06:21 PM
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=166980 ;)

awww they look alright, they look quite chilled with the little guineau don't they, it''s good they have lots of time to run around if they want aswell.:D

raine
28-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry I missed the other thread.

Santa
28-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Don't worry, it was months ago Raine, it's only got replies today after I linked to it here ;)

*lily*
28-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Where is the guinea? Is that it on the buns back? It looks a bit like an owl's face :lol::oops: x

I thought it was a tiny baby rabbit which is why I looked for previous posts!

chrispatch
28-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Hello Chrispatch, hope you enjoy the forum. Your bunnies are big and very sweet, do they live with the guineau? What do you feed them on I bet they can get through some spring greens lol. There are some wonderful idea's for housing that might be of interest to you on here, loads of ideas - if you click search and then type in housing you will see lovely ''set-ups' and might get some idea's as I think what you have in place does look a tad on the small side. Do they get a lot of free range time aswell? I spotted your little tortoise aswell awww how old is it?

Hi Vicky,in reply to your queries, no, the rabbits and guinea live apart, the guinea lives in the top hutch on the right in the picture,and before anyone asks it is completely insulated and always full of hay. She is put out if the weather is suitable in the small wire run on the grass and it has a little door to allow her to run the garden which is completely fenced in.She can also get in and out of the rabbit enclosure at will which as you can see she loves to do. The rabbits only spend the night in the wired enclosure, as they are free to roam the garden during the day, although they are so contented they tend to spend most of the time lazing about inside the run. In fact my wife frequently says there must be thousands who would love to get out, and they are happy to stay in. They have 2 lawns to graze on and plenty of wood to chew (destroy). As for the accomodation the top hutch is there for them to get in when they please by way of a ramp up the back. I admit it is not very large but they very rarely use it preferring to lay in the bottom section or on the balcony which is out of view.There is also cover available in the area below the guinea's hutch.The strange thing is though they prefer to sit outside even with the available cover. Also hidden in the photo is an area under cover where they have a tray on which they do most of their droppings, of which there are plenty, plus I have to rake the lawns every 2 days. They get all sorts of veg as I have an allotment so never go short of greens and carrots etc, and they get through plenty + some pellets. As to the guinea's diet as mentioned in another post, she has her own food seperated from the rabbits, although she does join in and eat theirs when out.
Finally the tortoise you saw is actually concrete, our tortoise which we have had for 30 years, is safely asleep in a box, and he has known and roamed the garden with 7 or 8 different rabbits in that time. Perhaps someone will now tell me I shouldn't keep tortoises with rabbits and guineas:?
Thanks for your comments but I can assure you, that you will not find animals anywhere that get better treatment than ours, or be more contented.

VickiP
28-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi Vicky,in reply to your queries, no, the rabbits and guinea live apart, the guinea lives in the top hutch on the right in the picture,and before anyone asks it is completely insulated and always full of hay. She is put out if the weather is suitable in the small wire run on the grass and it has a little door to allow her to run the garden which is completely fenced in.She can also get in and out of the rabbit enclosure at will which as you can see she loves to do. The rabbits only spend the night in the wired enclosure, as they are free to roam the garden during the day, although they are so contented they tend to spend most of the time lazing about inside the run. In fact my wife frequently says there must be thousands who would love to get out, and they are happy to stay in. They have 2 lawns to graze on and plenty of wood to chew (destroy). As for the accomodation the top hutch is there for them to get in when they please by way of a ramp up the back. I admit it is not very large but they very rarely use it preferring to lay in the bottom section or on the balcony which is out of view.There is also cover available in the area below the guinea's hutch.The strange thing is though they prefer to sit outside even with the available cover. Also hidden in the photo is an area under cover where they have a tray on which they do most of their droppings, of which there are plenty, plus I have to rake the lawns every 2 days. They get all sorts of veg as I have an allotment so never go short of greens and carrots etc, and they get through plenty + some pellets. As to the guinea's diet as mentioned in another post, she has her own food seperated from the rabbits, although she does join in and eat theirs when out.
Finally the tortoise you saw is actually concrete, our tortoise which we have had for 30 years, is safely asleep in a box, and he has known and roamed the garden with 7 or 8 different rabbits in that time. Perhaps someone will now tell me I shouldn't keep tortoises with rabbits and guineas:?
Thanks for your comments but I can assure you, that you will not find animals anywhere that get better treatment than ours, or be more contented.

:wave: Good glad to hear that. They do look like contented bunsters indeed. I can't answer your question regarding the tortoises as I know nothing about them only that they can live for years. For the record aswell, I haven't questioned your care for your animals - as you pointed out there are a lot of areas that can't be seen on the pictures and as you have said the bits that are on show do look a bit small in comparison to the bunsters which is all I said. Glad you have a nice allotment for organic veggies -lucky buns, I would like to grow my own one day. :)

VickiP
28-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Do you use the rabbit droppings for compost on the allotment I heard it works a treat:D

VickiP
28-12-2009, 07:44 PM
P/s I am flattered that out of all the replies you picked me to single out for your response :D

chrispatch
28-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Just a few more pics from last week.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/chrisb80/fri1812003.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/chrisb80/fri1812001.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/chrisb80/keepingwarm006.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/chrisb80/keepingwarm003.jpg

Santa
28-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Bit of a tangent, but all this talk of allotments has reminded me that when I was a lass, my uncle took me for a walk when I was staying with him, and we scrumpied a load of beans and carrots from a random patch of land and ran away. It was only when we got back home he told me that it was his allotment :lol:

Love the pics of the bunnies sitting on top of each other...cosy :lol:

chrispatch
28-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Do you use the rabbit droppings for compost on the allotment I heard it works a treat:D

Funny you should ask that, I did wonder and have been saving the neat droppings I rake up in a bucket and tipping them on the allotment ready to dig in. I don't save the tray contents as I have a bed of wood shavings under straw which catches an unbelievable amount of urine, and I didn't really want to use that, although I did think of adding it to a compost heap. You would never believe the amount of purely droppings I collect filling a bucket in under 2 weeks. Anyone who wants to keep giants must be ready for 3 times as many droppings, twice as much food, and garden furniture and fences being chewed at heights of up to 3 feet. The only problem we haven't had with these is digging. All our previous "ordinary" rabbits have at some time burrowed in the lawn, but these never have. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to whether any of the giants dig or whether we are just lucky?:D

chrispatch
28-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Bit of a tangent, but all this talk of allotments has reminded me that when I was a lass, my uncle took me for a walk when I was staying with him, and we scrumpied a load of beans and carrots from a random patch of land and ran away. It was only when we got back home he told me that it was his allotment :lol:

Love the pics of the bunnies sitting on top of each other...cosy :lol:

Funny that, I did the same thing with my favourite neice, and she pinched all my strawberries.:wave:

chrispatch
28-12-2009, 08:58 PM
:)
P/s I am flattered that out of all the replies you picked me to single out for your response :D

You have such a lovely photo in your postings, perhaps that's the reason:)

VickiP
31-12-2009, 12:23 AM
:wave: Thank-you thats a nice thing to say. I would imagine the urine soaked stuff would be alright in the compost heap aswell, I know my neighbour adds a bit of human urine to her compost heap to accelerate it. I haven't done that but, she said it works:) Yes I am sure the droppings would be very similar to manure, certainly can't do any harm, lets hope we get some good sunshine this year, I only had a handful or so of strawberries this year. Just have a couple of herb pots with 3 plants in each, saying that though it could be because the buns ate some too:lol: Just looked at your new pics they are lovely:love:, do they swap over and take it in turns with the tum warming?:lol:

Bunnyaddict
31-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Gorgeous bunsters - got a thing for big bunnies :love::love::love: And loving the little piggie too :love:

I can vouch for bunny poop compost :D Our neighbour has all of our rabbit poo wast (from 23 buns) & makes rabbit poo tea with it to water his veg plot. He swears by & we get free veggies off him in the summer in return :D He says it's supposed to be the next best thing to horse manure ;)

Debster
31-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Love the photos, the bunnies obviously adore each other :love:

chrispatch
02-01-2010, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=VickiP;3504546:love:, do they swap over and take it in turns with the tum warming?:lol:[/QUOTE]

They do that all the time, and do swop over, but it is mostly the buck lays across her. I've never known 2 rabbits so close to each other, they neck wash each other at the same time entwined together, and share food without one grabbing it and running off. He is much the bolder, if I should leave my shed door open and one comes guiltily running out, you can be sure it is him, although she will follow him in,after he has given the all clear.

bunnytoes
02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Beautiful rabbits and little piggie. I must admit that I really thought the piggie was a tiny bunny with short ears. I also though that the turtle in the picture was real.

Becky86
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
My gosh your bunnies are gorgeous :love::love: They do look very spoilt, i wish i was the little piggy :lol: Must be fab having such a big bunny to lie on :love: xXx