• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - not well boy

katz

New Kit
I have had Koopa for almost two years, and he has always been a very hyper and happy boy. Over the last few days we have noticed he isnt his normal self. This morning he is dyhydrated, cold to the touch and just lying about. Last night he would take not treats and just lay down feeling sorry for himself. Never having had an ill rabbit before Im not sure what to do for him til I get him to a vet probably tomorrow or day after. Any ideas or help welcome

katz

You need to contact an Emergency Vet NOW

Sorry to be blunt but if he is 'cold and dehydrated' his life is in danger :cry:
He cannot wait til tomorrow for treatment that only a Vet can provide

Whilst you are contacting a Vet put Bun onto a heatpad. If he is very 'flat' do not administer anything by mouth, he may aspirate it.

Please, please contact a Vet now

Good luck

xx

Gosh don't want to alarm you but that doesn't sound good! I agree that he needs vet treatment I think hes passed any help you could give him as you can only give him basic care at home, if he is cold that can also be a sign hes in pain so i've read somewhere as was said bring him in get him a water bottle or even better a snuggle heat pad if you have one and call the vet. Good luck x

If you have not done so already, you need to call the vet NOW.
Bunnies go down hill VERY fast and it really could be too late if you wait until tomorrow.
Really hope he is ok.

Thanks for quick replies, phoned emergency vet this morn, and he is on heat pad and fluids as vet recommended. If not improvement by tonight or tomorrow morn im to make emergency appointment. Hes looking better already and hates the sight of my syringe, keeps throwing it away. I'll keep you all updated. He currently lying beside me on couch nice and cozy.

His problem is that we had to take him home for christmas, and the bus didnt have heating causing oh, me and buns to be stuck in a freezing bus for 3 hours. he is eating reluctantly, and going to toilet, but vet thinks he has caught a chill and needs heat and water. Obviously if he takes a turn, he'll be rushed to vet, but vet (who is usually very good) seems happy with him being treated at home for moment.

I don't like to worry you about your vets but bunnies DO NOT 'catch chills'.
He sounds as though the stress of the travel has caused him to start to go into stassis (ie the slow down of the gut which will then lead to lots of complicated problems with his whole system).

Can you try a different vet????

The vet I spoke to is the only vet on call for the three nearest vets in this area. Shes not my personal vet but their reserve for emergency calls. Koopa seems alot better now, especially now that my boyfriend is home ( he adores him, the rabbit i mean.) He is now hopping about and warm to touch. He seems much better. Im trying to get a check up for tomoz for both buns as they need their boosters. Should I still worry about the vet advice?

I don't like to worry you about your vets but bunnies DO NOT 'catch chills'.
He sounds as though the stress of the travel has caused him to start to go into stassis (ie the slow down of the gut which will then lead to lots of complicated problems with his whole system).

Can you try a different vet????

I agree - I have a bunny that can't cope with the cold outside and he went into stassis, not because he had a chill:( He's okay now (and lives indoors) however, he need pain relief and gut stimulant etc which only the vet can prescribe.

The vet I spoke to is the only vet on call for the three nearest vets in this area. Shes not my personal vet but their reserve for emergency calls. Koopa seems alot better now, especially now that my boyfriend is home ( he adores him, the rabbit i mean.) He is now hopping about and warm to touch. He seems much better. Im trying to get a check up for tomoz for both buns as they need their boosters. Should I still worry about the vet advice?

I understand how tricky it can be over the holiday period (I have a sick bun right now that I am NOT taking to the emergency vet as I know she will do better to wait rather than suffer the emergency vet - but that is a longer term thing).

However in your case I would
1. Worry about the vet you spoke to and research another one ;
2. Delay his booster for whichever vaccine it is for a week if you feel happy with that as it is not good to give vaccines when bun is already poorly. It is very possible the vaccines will not be efficient either if bun is poorly. Most vets would not give a vaccine to a poorly bun.
3. Try posting a thread on here asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area.

In all honesty is is rather strange that the vet did not want to see him, but if he is already showing improvement then see how he goes for the next couple of hours, try to get him to eat lots of leafy veg and herbs and lots of hay as this will all help push everything through. If he is still eating and pooping then like I say see how he goes for the next couple of hours but the moment he starts to reject food he needs to go to the vets.

Well Koopa was taken to the vet this morning, and tried to prove to the vet I was making up his illness by being bossy, eating his hay and generally being a wee horror. Bite me for the first time too and acted really aggressive to both me and vet. He was given two injections, metoclopramide and zantac. Vet took me at my word that he wasnt well. Now just home from work to find him back to lying about and eating tiny amounts and generally looking down in the dumps. Ive been told to take him to vet if he starts to go down hill. Got next check up on wed. Also been given recovery powder to feed him at home.

Back