• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help not sure what to do

twinkle4041

Young Bun
Just been out to bunny and one seems very quiet, hes usually very fiesty but has been in a corner of the hutch all day, i thought it was because it was cold and hes was snug but now i am wondering. I have brought him in and his stomach seems quite bloated, though not hard. When i pick him up hes not struggling like he usually does and his head goes back without him trying to lift it himself. Hes just lay on the rug at the moment. I dont know if hes eaten much as he has a mate so i cant tell. I dont know if i should try to get to the vets but i think I have some of the science food you syringe them with they are poorly and should just try him with that or go straight to a vet?
thanks, i alway seem to have medical problems on bank holidays!

Nope, dont syringe feed him, he may have a blockage inside him and force feeding him will make it worse.

I think he needs to see a vet :( Definately seems he needs pain meds :( Sending lots of vibes xXx

Thanks for the advise, i have brough him in and put him in a cage, hes had a hop about, will see if i can get him in a vets tomorrow. Least i can keep an eye now on what hes drinking, eating and passing as well for the vet, he does seem a lot more quieter than usual

i have metacam

is it worth me giving him some? i just read a post where the lady had given her bunny some for gut probs.. it was for our dog though originally:(

What concentration is it? The stuff I got for my rabbit with gut problems was 2.5%. metacam for a dog might be different with dogs being a bit bigger. You'd need to know how much your rabbit weighs too though it has worked wonders for me in the past.

Can you try giving him belly rubs, also try offering grated carrot. I had a gut problem episode recently with my rabbit Honey (unsure if it's my thread your referring to) and she started eating the grated stuff first. Peppermint tea may also help if you have any, just make it up and let it cool and offer it in a bowl. You can also give him 2ml of Infacol which is for babies but it helps with gas. Dunno where you'd get any this time of night though, even the 24 hour Tesco ear me is shut. Maybe a garage?

I don't wish to alarm you but I think if you can't get him pooing and eating within the next couple of hours I'd try and take him to an emergency vet tonight especially if he's been off all day. Do his guts feel hard at all?

When I rang our emergency vet he told me that if Honey hadn't eaten in 6 hours or so I'd be best trying to syringe feed her a little critical care as having something in the stomach helps stimulate the gut. In saying that if there's a blockage somewhere then this could make things worse.

hiya
no his guts dont feel hard at all, i have been massaging his tummy, but i cant feel any lumps or bumps. Hes not grinding his teeth either which i read somewhere. I noticed that not much food had gone today but tonight the carrot i give plus the little bit of kale had gone but that could be his mate that ate it so i am not sure what hes eaten today. I do have some of the critical care somewhere so i dont know whether to give him a bit, of that in the meantime.

Hmmm it' a toughie but if i were you I'd see how he goes now that he's in the warmth but if he's not eaten or pooed very soon I'd phone the emergency vet. A rabbit that's not eating or pooing can go downhill very quickly indeed.:(

With my rabbit that's prone to gut problems we make sure we watch her eating things when they are offered so we can catch things early. we give them breakfast at about 8.30am then they are given food again at 2pm and again at 5pm. At about 8pm they're given their last meal of the day so if she does decide to stop eating we know exactly when she last ate. Might be an idea to try this in future if your bunny has this problem again.

We also keep a wee stash of metacam, fibreplex and infacol in the house. Ask your vet to sell you some when you're next there.

thanks for the advise i will keep an eye on him over the next few hours, he had a heat pad in with him and a little food and hay so i can see what hes eating. fingers crossed. x

thanks for the advise i will keep an eye on him over the next few hours, he had a heat pad in with him and a little food and hay so i can see what hes eating. fingers crossed. x

Ok then try not to leave him too long, last time Honey had this problem I was getting ready to run her to the vets at 2am and that was after knowing exactly when she'd last eaten and had meds too.

I'm off for a bath just now but will be back on later, hopefully you'll have good news by then.

Need Help bunny poorly - have i got right baby food?

I have had him at the vets, his guts arent working, they have given him paid relief and something to stimulate his gut and recovery for me to syringe in him, this is the second bun i have had with this. His teeth look fine they say. They have also suggested baby food but i am scared as to what baby food is ok, my last bun was ill for days then died and i had tried baby food with her.
I have just got two the only two i could see that were vegetable but one is potatoe is potatoe ok?
here are the ingredients anyone any idea if they are ok?

tender carrots and potatoe
ingredients
organic vegetables
60pc carrots, potatoes 20pc and water

apple and pear pudding
organic fruits 90pc apples 70pc apple juice from apple juice concentrate
20pc pears 6pc organic ground rice, calcium carbonate, acidity regulator antioxidant ascorbic acid

if these are no good would anyone no which one is?

Potato is not good (I can't remember but I think raw potato is a definite no but cooked potato isn't as harmful), I'm really not 100% sure but the the apple and pear one sounds like a good bet.

I've always had the same problem when my vets suggested baby food, they gave me a packet of what they use last time I needed it *goes off to find out what it was*

The stuff I was given is "Cow and Gate" banana cereal. It contains: banana, demineralised whey powder, milled cereals (corn and rice), skimmed milk, power, vegetable fat, emulcifier, soy lecithin, calcium, vitamins, iron, zinc.

Last edited:
baby food for bunnies

Thanks i am at a loss, the apple and pear has rice in it, now is that ok, someone said vegetable medley but i cant find it!

and your bunny was ok with it? did you warm it up?

I've never actually used it as the vet gave it to me but the bunny ate properly anyway, so it wasn't needed. Rudy has been fed it in the past when he had a sore mouth but the vet nurses did she feeding as I'm useless at it, he was in for a few days. It's a powder and I think the vets mix it with a slightly warm water, so that it's more pleasant than cold food.

If possible use Ellas kitchen baby food http://www.ellaskitchen.co.uk/ Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda sell it, it's organic. I used the banana and apple flavour to mix the recovery mixture with rather than just water, it's more appealing and seemed easier to syringe (thanks Amy for the tip).

Sending loads of vibes for a speedy recovery.

baby food for bunnies

so these foods i have got in your opinion you wouldnt risk them? will go to the supermarket again if not, thanks for your help, i am so worried this is the second bunny in 8 mths this has happened to, and i dont want to make him worse or worse still kill him giving him some human food that isnt the right one!
thanks again xx

Back