• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

time for a new vet methinks...omg

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
mums bunny went into ileus today after being out and running riot. she got worse so i went over and medicated her about oneish i think. i gave her 1ml zantac syrup.....1ml metaclopramide syrup......1ml infacol an hour apart....and fibreplex and tried force feeding her oxbow citical care which she took about a
teaspoon full.

i massged her belly for ages as it was quite gassy.....held her on my body to warm her tummy..i also combed and brushed her and evenualy she lay down and let me do it..she even gave me a kiss.

so i presumed shed be ok now as she wasnt laying there lifeless....

within a few more hours no change so i rang the vet hospital and told to get there by 4pm. the taxi ride was double costs being boxing day.......and we got there at about 10past four.
the vet was a lady i didnt recognise.....and pretty abrubt....gave us a lecture on how dwarf lops skulls and faces are a curse..yes we know that..th eonly way to diagnose or rule out teeth problems are with an xray..yep agree there too. but she then said buns nomrally eat a field..no green vegies..not enuff fibre...and went on to say that those things..mini lops should nver be bred...nightmare deformity. in fact she said no rabbit under 2.5kg should be allowed to live..and no lops and no big buns either. yes i get it but to tel this to a worried upset 79yr old lady was a bit off:?

then she procceded to ask me why id given her the meds and doses i had and who had told me to etc etc.

she claimed to know so much about rabbits too..and infacol was something shed never heard of...i told her to google it!:lol:

i told her i was a member of a very good forum thank you and had a brill bunvet in the past so there...:lol:

poor bunny had got so stressed shed done a bif and drooled down herself...its ok i said its not meds its stress...my bif does tis all the time so do most buns....but oh no..that was proof of dental disease. And she told my mum shed xray her head anohter time as now shed die....and the drool was solid proof of dental disease but an xray would back it up. wouldnt listen to me about stress.

i had a vet last time tell me my bif had pasturella no doubt without veen testing her as she had wet face etc...nope she does this every trip as shes stressed..nope its pasurella.

and to uspet my poor mum more..the evt was very up to seeing this bunny had been in several times ith this already.....and looked at my mum then at me and shook her head...

twice before it was a result of stress...visitors who were a bloke and his obnoxious grandaughter aged 5 who hates animals and rabbits are jsut animals and she doesnt care if she frightens the rabbit and held onto the cage and had a screaming tantrum:shock::evil:

this time she appeared with the bloke who is my mums eldest sone form ehr 1st mariage and this litle brat was a whining crying foot stamping diva brat and her grandad ened up shouting at ehr and having to leave.

now mums bun comes out to greet people.....even my grandaughters who their mum doesnt conttrol...but bunny sits amongst them.
this brat..she hates and hides from her till shes gone.

this all went down xmas eve..and mum was over here form afternoon to about 10pm and bunny had been ok but not eaten her pellets by morning.

would this be too far away or was it about right as a trigger for poor hunnybunny?

bloomin vets..ive had enough now so has my mum....we have ellen at the branch surgery but seems no one whos rabbit savvy and open minded at the hopsital anymore esp during emergencies.

but at this other vet theres only two bun savvy vets.....out of the frying pan?

gem and touie both go this other vet who is recommended but i dont know.

i need to decide soon tho....i odnt want a repeat of this.:censored:

To be honest, saying that rabbits should be eating grass not loads of veg sounds pretty sound advice to me. :? I've heard it said by vets many times.

yes id agree too but to say NO veg at all when the hay and veg diet is so popular seemed so weird.

but i think im real tired.....but fed up:oops::wave:

You should have just come down to Emsworth...not sure who was on yesterday but I think you'd have had a better experience.

Hope she's okay :love:

gem hun wished i had....now mums gotta pick her up today....but im ringing emsworth vets tuesday...i want my cat salem to have a second opinion there too..hes still not well:( the talk about the op has flown thru the window seems to have.

im going to ring and register my buns and mums bun tuesday and have a word about registering our cats second opinion etc.

then mum can see a vet who isnt so biased against lops and able to xray her skull etc....and be in safest hands. I swore by animed with all the bunvets there..now they dont seem to be there when i need them at all..ever:( and they have loads of vets there.
thank you for providing the info:wave: i will let you know what happens.:wave:

It's pretty hard for us to give an opinion when we weren't there and don't know the bun in question...but the vet is right that a lot of veg can be dangerous for some rabbits, especially if the bun is prone to gas/stasis. I personally don't favour the hay and veg diet unless a large proportion of the 'veg' is made up of grass, weeds and other 'natural' foods.

I agree that it's pretty rubbish for the vet to tell off a 79 yo lady, who has tried to do the best for her pet by bringing it to the vets at the first signs of illness. So many rabbit owners wouldn't bother to do that.

I think sometimes there are just vets that rub you up the wrong way, and you're best to avoid them - I know I've met plenty like that! :oops:

Back