• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shocking phone call! u/d post 3

petparadise123

Mama Doe
Around a year ago I had a phone call asking if I had an older doe to sell as this lady had lost her doe and her buck had stopped eating and had been told to get him a new mate. Her bunnies were rescues but she couldnt find a doe within 2 hours of here and it was when we had snow and ice. I decided to let her have Jessie a lionhead doe which I had had for about 4 years and was an adult when I had her. She kept them in a caravan all to them selves to I thought she would have a good life there though I was unsure about letting her go but my grandad persuaded me.

Just had a phone call to say that her buck died a few months back and she got a neutered buck from a rescue. A few weeks ago she found babies:shock::? they are around a month old she thinks. She has had the buck neutered now so he wasnt neutered when she got him from the rescue:shock: I have no more info but shes gonna phone back in a few days when the weather is better and im going to see the babies to sex them and give her a better idea of their age I hope. She is keeping two and giving her bf two. But Jessie must be 6+ now:shock: How is it possible for her to have babies now? (I did have a litter with her years back so its not her first)

Glad that all seems well and they have homes but:?

Last edited:
well she rang again today and then i went over to see them. Im pretty sure the babies are around 6 weeks and are 2 boys,2 girls. The reason she phoned today was that she has found another litter:shock: I would say they are 8-9 days old. There are 3 of them though 1 is a lot smaller. She had left the bedroom area alone but had a look tonight and saw something moving:shock:

I am annoyed with the vet and PAH. She had the buck neutered about 10 days ago and when she took him back to have his stitches taken out she had the vet check the doe over and they didnt think she was pregnant-she had had the second litter a day or two before:roll: didnt they notice?

Also the vet NEVER mentioned that the buck could still be fertile after the op and didnt tell her to keep them seperate:cry: so im guessing there will be more babies on the way:roll:

The buck was from PAH adoption and they advertised him as being neutered when he clearly wasnt and he is a large adult buck so couldnt of been hard to check surely?

I have told her that I will help her rehome the 3 new babies and any others (I knew I needed a new shed just not what for yet;) )

She is such a nice lady and feels so guilty about it all:(

I told her to seperate babies from mum now to give the little ones a better chance and told her to join this forum:wave: think she is also seperating mum and dad though when she tried putting him on his own when she first discovered the babies he got very depressed:cry:

:evil::evil:

Well.. why wasnt the female bunny neutered? Does she not know about uterine cancer? :?

guess she thought the same as me when I had her that she was too old:( This lady used to work at our local sanctuary and usually only has elderly animals so guess she didnt think:( too late now

because at the time I got her I didnt know about it and I thought she was too old by the time I did. Wish I had now :(

Well your doing what you can to help, I suppose it's almost a lesson that it does pay to get them spayed before re-homing as the people can have a change in circumstances like this. Don't beat yourself up now, just do what you can for Jessie and the kits. I would of thought if she was fit enough to have the kits hopefully she is clear of the cancer anyway so you just need to ensure that she doesn't have anymore, it could probably be a bit dangerous for the doe and the kits-not sure but, as in humans there is more risk to older mums and their babies. It is a shame but, if the babies are OK and all get homes then the lesson learnt is to ensure on spaying by all adoptees or get them to pay before re-homing.

I cant believe this, just had another call from her, she says that she had Jessie spayed over a yr ago, and recently introduced her to a new unneutered buck. She discovered babies with her again the other day!

How can a spayed doe have babies (could they of only removed half the womb or something?) and at such an age!

She kept the babies from the second litter but cant keep these so I am going to try and help find homes to these 5.

I cant believe this, just had another call from her, she says that she had Jessie spayed over a yr ago, and recently introduced her to a new unneutered buck. She discovered babies with her again the other day!

How can a spayed doe have babies (could they of only removed half the womb or something?) and at such an age!

She kept the babies from the second litter but cant keep these so I am going to try and help find homes to these 5.

Why on earth would she put an entire Buck with a Doe anyway, spayed Doe or not. The poor Doe would be constantly humped

The Doe cant have been spayed at all

Are you sure she is telling you the truth? Could these be kits from another rabbit that she isnt telling you about?

Just out of curiosity - how old is this lady??? Could she have problems with her memory and forgot she hadn't had Jess neutered? I'm sure they do a complete hysterectomy when they spay rabbits, so really can't see how she could have been spayed.

I have no idea why she put an unneutered buck with her, possibly that he was only a few months old or very old.

She says that there is no way that they can be from another doe, and as she descovered them when they were newborn and checked Jessie, she had some blood on her and had obviously just given birth.

You mention that she also kept the babies from the second litter - mayebe these were also not neutered - as this rate she could have hundreds of babies soon!

I have no idea why she put an unneutered buck with her, possibly that he was only a few months old or very old.

She says that there is no way that they can be from another doe, and as she descovered them when they were newborn and checked Jessie, she had some blood on her and had obviously just given birth.

How many rabbits does she have?

Just out of curiosity - how old is this lady??? Could she have problems with her memory and forgot she hadn't had Jess neutered? I'm sure they do a complete hysterectomy when they spay rabbits, so really can't see how she could have been spayed.

She is probabily in her 30s and says that she has found out the invoice from when she had her spayed. I cant understand it.

She has 9 rabbits now and says that all the babies were spayed/neutered last year and are not kept in the same place as Jessie and her new friend.

She has moved away and does not live near me anymore so I cant go over there.

Well, I guess she would need to take Jessie back to vets and have her looked at. Is there any possibility of rabbits having more than one uterus? But surely a vet would have noticed if there was an extra one!

I really think that something isn't quite right here!!

Back