• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you could have one book on rabbit health...

I wouldn't because most contradict things. I prefer reading up a few and coming to my own conclusion or better still coming on here and finding someone whos had hat problem!

I have 'When your rabbit needs special care' (Lucile Moor & Kathy Smith)

Reading up on people's experiences on RU is a very valuable source of info though. :D

:wave:Thanks! I will look at those. While I agree that RU is an invaluable source of information, I find I get really irritated trying to use the search feature:lol: Sad, I know.

If you're intrested in rabbit medicine rather than just health in general, then the Francis Harcourt Brown book is great. Some of the other rabbit medicine books are too brief and are just a series of bullet points without bothering to look at the bigger picture.

If you're intrested in rabbit medicine rather than just health in general, then the Francis Harcourt Brown book is great. Some of the other rabbit medicine books are too brief and are just a series of bullet points without bothering to look at the bigger picture.

:DYes, this is what I would like. I have been looking at this book, it's a bit expensive so I want to be sure.

:DYes, this is what I would like. I have been looking at this book, it's a bit expensive so I want to be sure.

It's been around for a long time, so isn't completely up-to-date, but still very good. I bet you could pick up a second hand copy cheaply

Personally I feel this book is too outdated now for the money, which is why I recommended the richard saunders one :)

:wave:Thanks, it looks good. I was looking on Amazon, at the descriptions. My maiden same was Saunders, maybe it's a sign:lol:

Personally I feel this book is too outdated now for the money, which is why I recommended the richard saunders one :)

I personally wouldn't recommend the Saunders one as a first book on rabbit medicine. It's very difficult to read and doesn't have a clear symptom-cause-treatment type layout like the FHB one.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Saunders one as a first book on rabbit medicine. It's very difficult to read and doesn't have a clear symptom-cause-treatment type layout like the FHB one.

I found it so much easier to use and clearly laid out. Its always the one I turn to first if a bunny has a problem. The FHB has too much info to get to to find the relevant points. I guess it depends what you are looking for :)

I was thinking, if you are considering spending the amount of money of FHB book, what about getting an easier read book like when you rabbit needs special care or rabbit health in the 21st century with the richard saunders one and using the 2 together? :)

I also prefer the Saunders one, although I think it does depend what you want. The FHB one is now quite out of date in terms of medical and surgical techniques but it does give better general biological information. The Saunders one is much better if you want to look up likely causes for symptoms and see what sort of things are normal treatments, but the FHB one is better for general overview and info.

If I had to have just one I'd go for the Saunders especially as it's half the price and I have heard a rumour that FHB has been working on a new edition so I'd hang on and wait for that to hopefully appear at some point.

Edit: there's also a preview of the Saunders book here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...nal+rabbit+medicine&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false so at least you can have a look at the two and see which seems to fit your requirements best :)

I was thinking, if you are considering spending the amount of money of FHB book, what about getting an easier read book like when you rabbit needs special care or rabbit health in the 21st century with the richard saunders one and using the 2 together? :)

:)Right now, I am thinking that I may just get them all :lol: I am having a hard time deciding. I may see if I can find out if Francis Harcourt-Brown is indeed working on a more up-to-date version, getting the Saunders book and waiting for the the new Francis Harcourt-Brown. I have looked at samples of both on Amazon and like how FHB reads but Saunders seems more to the point.

i have the kathy smith rabbit helath in the 21st century and also the "when your rabbit has special needs" and a book for vet nurses abou nursing care of bunnies..

i have this site to swap ideas on too.

Back