• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What sex rabbits are best paired together??

romjob1804

New Kit
HI i would like 2 rabbits , what sexes get on best together>?> females? males, or female and male together of which one will be neutered. .....

2 females brought up together will usually work, once they reach sexual maturity at 6 months it is a wise idea to get them neutered as they can fall out with each other. 2 males brought up together will need neutering also when they reach sexual maturity between 12 - 16 weeks old, otherwise they will try and non surgically neuter each other.

A male / female rabbit pairing is the easiest to achieve, however it is also advisable to get them neutered as soon as they mature to prevent babies, aggression and also uterine cancers.

the best pairing is male /female. with both of them being neutered.

If you only have one of them neutered, it can lead to problems. The bunny that isn't neutered will forever be harrassing the neutered bunny. This could lead to the neutered bunny turning round and retaliating, leading to fights and injury.

I honestly believe in personalities rather than sexes.
I have 3 boys and 1 girl and they ALL get on like a house on fire :)
Please make sure you neuter both of any pairing though ;)

pairing

well thankyou for your help guys, i would def like two males and get them neutered. im unsure on the male and female as i am worryed about having a female as i no males are alot more friendly.....????

well thankyou for your help guys, i would def like two males and get them neutered. im unsure on the male and female as i am worryed about having a female as i no males are alot more friendly.....????

I think it depends on the personalities of the rabbits as to how friendly they are. I have a female who is very friendly and loves being stroked and my friend has a male who is grumpy and she can't stroke at all.

Have you thought about rehoming a pair of rabbits from a rescue, then you don't have to think about bonding, as they will already be bonded and just worry about enjoying and spoiling your rabbits.

If you look in the Rabbits in Need section there are alot of rabbits already paired up and neutered, waiting for a forever home. ;)

I too believe it's the bun's personalities that will make a successful bond.

I have 2 boys who live happily together like 2 peas in a pod. Both are gorgeous rescues who were bought a year apart and bonded as adults. Both are very adaptable and friendly and quickly established their hierarchy. Roger is the leader and Barney is happy to follow.

I have a 1 year old girl who is unbondable, lol. She prefers the company of her teddy and human company.

I also have a 16 week old girl who is very sweet and loving.

It's not the sex, it's the bun.

It is usually better to have a male and female pairing. I do have a male and female pairing and male/male pairing but it is only because Merlin and Wesley are really placid that they get on so well. Good luck finding your bunnies.

Back