• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having problems with bonding

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I've been bonding James and Beryl for a few days now. Kept their cages next to each other for the whole first day, then let them out for the evening. James was brilliant, chin rubbing, groom her all over, snuggling up to her. Beryl just laid down the entire time, she occasionally grumbled. After 40 mins together, i let them run around my room, James spooked Beryl and she went for him. I stroked them both and calmed them down but as soon as James moved she started chasing him again, so i put them back into their cages for a rest.

Their cages were side by side all night, yesterday morning i got them both back out. James did the same as the day before as did Beryl. But she freaked out, started lungeing at James, and growling everytime he went near her. She wouldn't calm down, i didn't want her to get too stressed so i put both of them back in their cages. They've stayed in their cages next to each other all last night and today. I'm scared of letting back out :?

Beryl won't move or relax at all, if she does move its negative towards James. Poor James loves her so much. I am told Beryl is definately spayed, and had a partner for over a year.. so i don't know why it's so difficult to bond her. I am going to keep trying.. if i can't bond them can anyone else? I think maybe a totally neutral place might help.

Kept their cages next to each other for the whole first day, then let them out for the evening. James was brilliant, chin rubbing, groom her all over, snuggling up to her. Beryl just laid down the entire time, she occasionally grumbled.

Can you give more information about whether this space is somewhere that either have been before. What size space did you let them out in?

After 40 mins together, i let them run around my room, James spooked Beryl and she went for him. I would not advise moving buns after for at least 49 hours after bonding them, otherwise fighting is quite common. I always start off using a space about 5 foot x 2 foot which is totally neutral, they then stay in the same place for at least 48 hours before moving them, the space they get put into next is usualy of a similiar size. Increasing the space too quickly frequently ends up in problems. You also dont mention if your bedroom is neutral.

I stroked them both and calmed them down but as soon as James moved she started chasing him again, so i put them back into their cages for a rest.

Their cages were side by side all night, yesterday morning i got them both back out. James did the same as the day before as did Beryl. But she freaked out, started lungeing at James, and growling everytime he went near her. She wouldn't calm down, i didn't want her to get too stressed so i put both of them back in their cages. They've stayed in their cages next to each other all last night and today. I'm scared of letting back out

Beryl won't move or relax at all, if she does move its negative towards James. Poor James loves her so much. I am told Beryl is definately spayed, and had a partner for over a year.. so i don't know why it's so difficult to bond her. Previously having a partner is no indication that bonding with one male will work, it is the same as with humans, just because someone has had a boyfriend before doesnt mean that they will get on with the next man that they meet. It is more to do with their temprement. I am going to keep trying.. if i can't bond them can anyone else? There is a chance someone else could do this for you, not 100% confirmed but possible. I think maybe a totally neutral place might help. If you are not using totally neutral territory or one that has been thoroughly cleaned it is unlikely that a bonding will work.

Back