• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

weather for my bunny x

loz3232

Warren Scout
Hi im lauren:wave:,
i was just wandering how many of you have brought your rabbits in? And who hasen't and if they have any tips on keeping bunnys warm in winter, when outside? Do you think it's ok if you keep your bunny inside all night and then let him run around in a big cage, which is covered over with black tauperlin. He also has a cage inside of that with a massive bedroom full of straw and other materials to keep warm.
I'm just asking for your opinion please,
thanks x

If your bun is outside all year round they should be ok in winter as they will have grown their winter coat. Make sure they have tonnes of hay/straw and their cage is sheltered so it isn't getting wet or the wind isn't blowing straight in.

You can buy snugglesafe heat pads to put in with them on a night too. Make sure the cage is covered over on a night too :)

Im sure more people will be along soon with more suggestions :)

thanks :D i've got a heat pad in the bottom of bedroom in cage and there is so much straw and hay in there that most of the time i can't see him :lol: It is fully covered over with black tarpaulin, which is strong and blocks wind totally :) Thanks for your help,
lauren x

mine are in for the winter, but this is only becasue i wanted to bond them and reggie ahs been in since november and had not got a winter coat. They are in a dog crate in the spare room.

Up until the 18th december ruby was outside, the hutch was covered in foil insulation, she had lots of hay and straw, a fleece blanket and a towel in there with her and the whole lot was covered in a tarpaulin and she was fine out there :)

buns get on best in colder conditions than hot. Dont keep bringing in and out as they'll get used to warmth then be put into cold same as us then they will feel cold.
Loads of straw and hay to snuggle in and check that bedding is dry so they arent lying on wet stuff.

My old bun used to have her hutch inside her run we covered all of run top and sides in plastic (obv with little gap for air) and her hutch door was also covered in plastic so on night she would get locked in hutch and by morning her whole pen was steamed p so she obv was very toasty inside there!

Not sure if people still do this but my nana years ago used to make buns some warm food for supper cant remember exactly what it was or if it was actually beneficial but it was bran and tea bags my nana swore it kept him warm but maybe thats just old wives tale?

Back