• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny getting very skinny

lauramc888

Warren Scout
Got a 3 year old lop gorgeous white bun, but recently Ive noticed when I pick her up she is really really light, and very boney. Now, she eats like a gannet! Pellets and anything going really, though in saying that, havent seen her eating hay very often but she defo does eat! Anyone have any ideas why? Im going to go to vet after xmas I think just to see. Shes fine in every way, just seems to be gettin lighter. She had an abscess on her jaw a year ago and every few months need to get her teeth trimmed down, but Id say she seems perfect. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? cheers

If she is losing weight you should take her to the vet to get checked out for any underlying problems, especially to have a good look at the teeth.

Some people on here give their bunnies porridge if they need fattening up so I you may be able to do that for a couple of days until you can see a vet.

I agree with bunny babe that Teeth are top of the list.
When I was young (too long ago) we always boosted our outdoor bun's feed with a mixture of moist pony bran & oats - roughly 6bran :1 oats in winter.
I have not heard of any one else doing this on here and would put it to the forum before implementing it.
ETA Virtually nothing was known about bunny diet 50 years ago!!
I see a potential benefit of adding fiber to keep the gut moving well, while boosting calories with starch.
[Peter Rabbit lived a completely healthy life until the age of 14 when he failed to wake up one morning]

Last edited:
thanks for the replies! Yes she is spayed, I got her done at about 6months or so. She seems really well apart from just feeling skinny. Shell eat carrots like no tomorrow, or her pellets really easy. She shares a hutch with her sister and she definately gets her fair share of pellts but thinking about it, dont really see her eating hay though it is there. I will make an appt to get her teeth checked. She had a dental about start of October though and seems to be eating fine. Strange! I also felt to see if she has a swollen belly but nope, just skinny all over.

Back