• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nottcutts Garden Centres

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
For a change I would like to applaud a garden centre. Pets shops and garden centres get so much stick (and alot of them rightly so) but this garden centre are definately different from the rest! ALL staff in the pet centre must undergo a animal care course, they have posters advising on hay etc and I have just looked on their website and found this http://www.notcutts.co.uk/pets/petcare.php
If you click on the top right 'download guide how to care for rabbits' it goes into more detail.
While I agree that pet shops and garden centres shouldn't sell livestock, I realise that we are a long way off them not doing so, so in the meantime places like this should have recognistion for how they go about things.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all fellow bunny owners :wave:

Penny

My Hazel-Rah came from Nottcutts. Haven't been there for a few years. It's good they are more informed about animals.

Nottcutts in Peterborough? They sold me a hamster with a genetic defect including a club foot which they obviously hadn't noticed, and he died 9 days later. So I certainly wouldn't applaud them!

I use the one in Solihul, but on their website it goes into great detail about the care of animals and vets costs etc. Most pet places don't mention vet costs as they want the sale and don't want to put people off.
Its unfortunate that you had a bad experience so i understand why you are upset with them, I'm just looking at the bigger picture really. I have never purchased an animal from them but have been there when they have turned down sales to parents who want to buy their child a rabbit on an impulse buy whithout researching them first.

I like the fact they put cost sheets on their website. It shows how expensive rabbits are and it may make impulse buyers think a little before getting a rabbit.

where can I find a rabbit as cheap as the one they have put on their Cost Sheets?!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, i thought that, as far as shops selling pets go, it wasn't bad. They had signs informing about care, hay, neutering, pairing etc. And also, the buns cost about £60 or something, so hopefully people will think twice about getting one.

I pretty happy with my local one and where they keep their rabbits. They got large sized clean pens (about 6x4x4 - and only two-three babies in), with hutches in them with doors constantly open and a bunch of toys and tubes for them. Its sooo rare to see a pet shop which even puts a variety of toys in, let alone keeps them in a decent sized area (ok, not the best - but atleast it gives them places to climb, hide, sleep, run, dig, and chew)

It's a shame that their staff couldn't recognise ringworm until I pointed it out to them and had to insist that they got the rabbit urgent veterinary treatment, when I chacked back with them the next day they proudly announced that it was strange because all of their guinea pigs had ringworm too after they had been in with the infected rabbit:roll:, I also had to explain what quarentine was

Sorry but it was Nottcutts in Solihull

I've got a Nottcutts where i live. I don't go there very often as it's rather expensive. I have noticed that they have all sorts of signs on the rabbit pens saying that they only sell buns in pairs and don't let your brats scream about or poke the bunnies. Also lots of signs about bunnies and their care.

at the moment the nearest one to me is selling 6 x Buck Belgian Hares and stating thier fine to live in a 4 ft hutch:? and they are all in the same run.
Jane will know which one i mean:?

Back