• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Breed?

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
Hiya, I'm curious to find out what breed my bunny is as the rescue centre didn't know what breed (or crossbreed) he is.

After doing a little research I think I've found his breed, but would love a 2nd, 3rd opinion etc.

Tbh I really don't mind if he is a crossbreed or a domestic, but I'd like to make sure my pet insurance is correct in case it could invalidate it :?
Does anyone know if it makes any difference to the insurance as he is listed as a domestic?

These r the best pics I have so far, but his fur is very, very soft.. almost downy.. he weighs just over 2kg (but could probably do with putting on a lil bit more for his size as he's still skinny), & he's a very laid back bunny, extremley friendly & not at all skittish or shy.

His fur is a deep chocolatey colour across his back and chest but brushing his fur up shows a lighter brown (it looks lighter in these pics cos of the camera flash), his tummy is a lighter brown (as are the insides of his ears) and he has a black face, ears & legs.
He also has the odd few tan coloured 'dots' across his back & one right between his ears.

Soo... am I right in thinking he might be a Sable Mini Rex???

phillip01.jpg

phillip02.jpg

phillip03.jpg

-----------------

Edited to add a pic the centre took of him before I adopted him, it's a better pic cos it was taken in daylight :)

Phillip.bmp

Last edited:
I don't know what his breed is but he sure is beautiful. I would think that domestic rabbit should be fine for the insurance.

Yeah, he's my baby.. & utterly adorable, seems like everyone who meets him falls in love with him, he's sooo friendly & loves a cuddle :love:

My husband made me laugh yesterday, I told him what I thought Phillip's breed might be & his reply was...
& you've just had him fixed???

Grrr... not like I'm gonna breed rabbits or anything :censored: (damn glad I'm not as naive as him LOL)
:lol::lol::lol:

He's not a rex (as they have fur like velvet, and whiskers).

He is stunning though!! :love::love::love:

On your insurance, just say mixed. That way there is no way they can invalidate it!

Yeah he may have lovely soft fur but he's definitely not a rex - it's hard to describe but if you ever see a rex you'll suddenly understand the difference between soft downy fur and rex fur. He looks like a crossbreed to me, I wouldn't put any particular breed down on the insurance form and I'm sure that'll be fine :) I suspect the breed information is usually more for identification purposes than affecting the premium.

He looks like a beautiful crossbreed to me :love:. Yes his fur is too long for a rex, but he may be crossed with one perhaps? Just didn't inherit the rex fur...

...this is my minirex Frankie..

CIMG2691.jpg

This is the best pic i have to show the rex type coat... It doesn't actually look like fur at all if you know what I mean as it is very short but thick.

he looks like a Siamese sable to me. He could be a satin if his fur is very soft and shiny but hard to tell from the pic. I used to have 2 satins they're beautiful rabbits.

here's a siamese satin pic
http://www.peoriaarearba.com/jones/images/siamese.jpg

but he's darker so here's a siamese sable pic
http://www.valeofglamorgan.net/rabbits/MedSiameseBuckSmall.JPG

and Fudge my Opal satin so that you can see the shine on his coat
PA140003.jpg

Sept06032-1.jpg

eta: my satins were both 3.5-4kg but I think you can get a mini variety :?

Last edited:
Oo he looks just like your Siamese Satin pic & his fur looks the same too.
I think he should probably weigh nearer 3kg, he is still very thin imo, but I have an appt with the rabbit nurse in a couple of weeks so I'll confirm then what his optimal weight should be as she's going to help me get his diet sorted out.

I must admit I was wondering about the Rex as I knew his fur didn't look quite the same; I saw a couple of rabbit pics posted on the internet as Rex's but with similar fur to Phillip; but knowing the internet, chances are the bunnies weren't true Rex's anyway, he does have long whiskers though, but I assumed all rabbits had whiskers, like cats :)

I'll ask the insurance company to categorise him as a crossbreed rather than domestic, that should cover me, thanks for the suggestion, & thanks everyone for all the advice & suggestions/opinions, I really do appreciate them - you guys are all great & I'm sooo glad I joined this forum :love:

Forgot to add: Phillip is the same body size (length) as my kittens who are 7 months & about 3.5/4kg.

I agree that his marking is a medium siamese sable, however, the breed would only be a random guess. I would go along with those who said put cross breed. :) He's beautiful!

He looks a bit small and fine to be a sable, although I could be wrong. Sable's are a rare breed, the colour however isn't. So I'd just say a siamese sable coloured cross ;)

Back