• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just wondering, is this illegal?

petparadise123

Mama Doe
Is transporting a rabbit with myxi and deliberately releasing it into the wild to infect other rabbits illegal? Do you have a link to where it says about it if so? thanks

I AM NOT PLANNING TO DO THIS!

not sure if its illeagle but im sure the rspca would prosacute you if your caught for animal neglet and endangerment

Thats absolutely discusting :cry: Surely anyone with a heart wouldnt even think about doing that :cry:

Thats absolutely discusting :cry: Surely anyone with a heart wouldnt even think about doing that :cry:

i used know many farmers that would well they keep myxi rabbits alive to infect others as they are such a pest and cause so much damage i dont think they would think twice about it :?

It is illegal and has been since 1952 or it may be 1954, I can't quite remember.

Last edited:
Found it, it'c covered by the 1954 Pests Act:

New Clause.—(SPREADING OF MYXOMATOSIS.)
HC Deb 10 November 1954 vol 532 cc1308-17 1308

§ A person shall be guilty of an offence if he knowingly uses or permits the use of a rabbit infected with myxomatosis to spread the disease among uninfected rabbits and shall be liable on summary conviction to the penalties laid down in subsection (2) of section eight of this Act.—[Dr. King.]

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1954/nov/10/new-clause-spreading-of-myxomatosis

Last edited:
Thanks. I think it happened here a few years back so I wanted something to tell people in case it happened again and so I would know what to do if it did. Though im guessing it would be hard to get proof:cry:

Releasing domestic rabbits in the first place is a pretty stupid thing to do as they would most likely die, myxi or not. :cry:
Releasing sick rabbits so they can infect others is madness :shock:

Back