• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bite which has broken rabbit's skin

tintin

Alpha Buck
Our two dwarf netherland rabbits (male, neutered a few weeks ago) share a largish hutch. Usually they are out in a run together for several hours, if not most of, each day. The last couple of days and nights they have been in the garage due to very cold weather and snow.

Today I brought them in and set up a pen in the hall, just to give them a chance to stretch their legs for a couple of hours. They have been fine, no fighting, mutual grooming, eating, pooing etc.

However, when I was stroking Smudge I noticed a sharp lumpy bit on his back - in the middle, where the neck becomes the back. A closer look seemed to show it was a bite, or rather two cuts (from one bite). It was dry, not oozing gunk or anything, but it did look like the skin was broken. It didn't look fresh, more like a scab, scar tissue or hard dried blood. It didn't seem to hurt Smudge when I looked at it, he didn't make a noise or anything. He is fne in himself, lively and nosey as usual.

We haven't been stroking them much recently because of the weather, so it could have gone unoticed for a while. Before the neutering, the other one was constantly trying to bite Smudge and mount him. The vet checked them over a week after the neuter and he was fine, so I would have thought they would have spotted a bite.

It looks to me like a more recent bite which has just broken the skin and bled. Probably due to cabin fever. What do I do about it? Just keep an eye on it? Any treatment needed?

They are in a box in the hall, snuggling at the moment. They will have to go back in the hutch tonight, but hopefully it will be fine enough tomorrow to be out in the yard. Any advice welcome.

Last edited:
A bite from another rabbit can cause an abscess so it might be worth taking him to the vets to have it checked, they may also give him anti biotics incase of infection. I'd be a bit concerned about the buns being together not supervised after one has been bitten. I hope Smudge will be okay.

Back