• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Remembering Charlie: August 1997 - December 23rd 2007

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Today is the 2 year anniversary of the day by darling first bunny Charlie passed away.

We got her from some friends who had an accidental litter and she was my first real pet (not shared with my brothers). I was 12 when i got her, and i have to say i didnt always do a brilliant job of looking after her :(. Her hutch was too small and she only had hay in the winter :cry::cry:. But i was young and i didnt know any better. I hope she knows that i loved her anyway, and did the best for her that i knew at the time.

She lived outside in the summer, free ranging in the garden and chasing away all the local cats - i think she actually attacked and scarred one of them! :shock:. She came inside in the winter and really enjoyed free ranging in the house, taking all the wallpaper off in the lounge and dinning room :shock: (can't believe how patient my parents were!). She was often referred to as "that darn rabbit" and even now, if i get into trouble at home my Dad yells "CHARLIE!" :lol::lol::lol:

We had her spayed when she was 2, which took a lot of persuading of my parents, and was a total novelty and considered "excessive" by most people at the time :shock:. She was born with cataracts which gradually progressed in the last year of her life, leaving her almost totally blind except for light and dark, but she still binkied around the house and loved life. She also had arthritis and started to go deaf. Just after her 10th birthday she developed a dental abcess but she was just too old and infirm to undergo the surgery. She lived to the grand old age of 10 and a half, and was PTS by the vets i worked for throughout my secondary school years.

I still miss her loads, and i know she taught me a lot and was my first inspiration to become a bunny vet. Here are some pictures of her.

From my Avatar:
100_0285.jpg

Around the house:
100_1653.jpg

100B1740.jpg

charlie.jpg

In the garden:
DSC00896.jpg

Charlie036.jpg

NightTimeCharlie2.jpg

Floppy ear after a bout of stasis, where the drip needle was put in:
100_0212.jpg

Still beautiful, despite the cataracts:
100_1826.jpg

Cuddles with my Mum, her last night with us:
000_0071.jpg

Charlie was beautiful. I am sure she is looking down on you with pride as you work towards becoming a Bunny Savvy Vet :) xx

The first bunny - the one that steals our heart, the one that starts the addiction, the one that inspires and the one to thank for all the present and future bunnies who shape our lives and whose lives we shape.

What a lovely bunny :love:

Thanks guys. Makes me cry thinking of her at this time of year, but she got me through all my difficult teen years and she was such a character. The more i learn about bunnies in the last few years, the more i realise i got wrong with her, which i really regret, but i dont think she ever really suffered. I always wondered if i should have got her a friend, but she was quite mardy and territorial and loved people so i dont know if it would have worked.

Thanks for your comments Lillian - thats exactly how it feels.

She actually has quite similar markings and personality to Indi, just by coincidence.

Back