• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I put on the cage floor? Sawdust? towel?

My rabbit is an indoor one, we keep his cage in the corne rof the living room :)

At the moment we just fill his cage with saw dust and he goes to the toilet in one of the corners. It's easy to clean, and doesn't smell.

BUT, I see other people with towels in the cage and sawdust in the toilet corner... which is best?

sawdust and woodshavings are not the best thing to use as they can cause respiratory problems.

megazorb, carefresh are two things people use for litter....

my two have pet blankets in their cage and megazorb and hay in the trays. :wave:

As mentioned before, sawdust and woodshavings are very bad for rabbits' respiratory systems. There should be hay available to your rabbit, as it is essential n their diet. BTW, in my shed, I have a rubber matting type stuff, with a layer of hay on top. In the litter trays, I have carefresh and another layer of hay.

I've been using shavings for most of my bunnies, simply because there's nothing else to be found where I live:? The only store I've ever seen selling Carefresh is closed and pellets gives them sore paws. Miako and Aroma only have pellets and newspaper because Aroma reacts to the shavings, none of the others do. I'd use newspaper for the others too but it gets too messy as it isn't as absorbent, and my rabbits either pee on or eat carpets:( Hay is just as messy+I'm allergic to it (I can stand it enough to make sure they always have it for their food at least, and bedding in Sora's outdoor hutch.)
I've tried finding alternatives with no luck, and with 10 rabbits a small bag of anything barely lasts a week:/

We use cat litter pellets in their trays, we are trying Megazorb for the second time and so far so good. Last time we tried it Mischa kicked it out and it made me sneeze a lot. As for their cage they have three litter trays, two with hay, one without. And old clothes under the trays for any spills. I have some puppy pads from Vaga Valley which I am starting to try out for the entire cage as sometimes they wee in unforseen places. :roll: Apart from that it's just lino.

My 2 house bunnies, soon to be 3 :D have a large dog cage as a base. In the cage I put down an old towel then I put down vet bed whoch i find brilliant. I change it most days and just put it in the washing machine. I started using this when my little girl had ec and stopped using her litter tray and was always quite wet. But the vet bed is really absorbant and is great. Mine has been washed loads and is still like new.

I love megazorb! I use it for my guinea pigs, when we move (*crossed fingers* next month), we'll be bulk buying it off the net! If anyone local to me wants any, let me know. Obviously I'll split the shipping per bag if I have to pay it, but I probably wont have to as I'll be buying lots of bags.

Personally I wouldn't use sawdust at all.
What you could do is lay some towels or something down in his cage and in his wee corner put a littler tray.
You can lay some newspaper, (you can then put some shavings on top of this for extra absorbancy as this is less likely to affect respiratory) and then hay for him to munch on.
:wave:

I have always used sawdust as it's the only thing I can get in big bags over here. I can't order from the internet either as no one wants to deliver to an island. :|

I only use sawdust in litter trays and the rest of the shed/hutches are carpeted or lino-d. I did at one point try paper based cat litter but for whatever reason, the buns decided they didn't like it and pee'd outside their litter trays. :roll:

I've never had any bunnies get respiritory problems - but that's not to say it doesn't happen. I always make sure I get the proper big flakey type stuff rather than the really chopped up dusty stuff though.

I also have an indoor rabbit, she sleeps in an indoor cage, but the door is left open all day so that she can free range.
I put newspaper and straw in penny`s cage as she loves digging in it, and she also likes to hide underneath the straw. Then in the corner of her cage she has a cat litter try filled with megazorb and lots and lots of hay. She also has anoter cat litter try next to the guineapigs cage filled with the same, and she makes a right mess all over the dining room floor when she has a right good ole dig :roll:

I can highly recommend washable incontinence pads covered with either fleece or vetbed. A lot of guinea pig people do this and it works brilliantly. In my GP cage I have one regular litter tray with megazorb and hay and then I use one full layer of inco pads and fleece with an extra small section of inco pad/vetbed in the heavy toilet area. I change the toilet inco pad daily and the main pads/fleece weekly. If the fleece gets manky, you can just whip that off and replace it with a clean one but the main inco pads will easily do a week (for GPs - obviously bunnies pee a greater volume than piggies!) There's NO smell, no mess and they work brilliantly.

I buy them from Amazon for £7.95 each (plus £5 p&p per order).

megazorb and carefresh mixed, with a giant layer of hay on top. I guess you put the hay in a rack, as you didn't mention it on the floor of the cage. Putting it in the tray encourages them to use the tray, and gives them something to nom when they're in it. :D

...........pictures of Marty? :? :roll:

I also have an indoor rabbit, she sleeps in an indoor cage, but the door is left open all day so that she can free range.
I put newspaper and straw in penny`s cage as she loves digging in it, and she also likes to hide underneath the straw. Then in the corner of her cage she has a cat litter try filled with megazorb and lots and lots of hay. She also has anoter cat litter try next to the guineapigs cage filled with the same, and she makes a right mess all over the dining room floor when she has a right good ole dig :roll:

I would never use sawdust -though I do use a layer of woodchips in the litter tray then wedge a folded newspaper on top then cover that with hay.

sue:wave:

I have had both indoor and outdoor buns. For my indoor bun, she has lino on the floor covered with cardboard. Her litter tray has wood pellets from p@h which are the best I've found for absorbancy.

My outdoor buns had sawdust in their litter tray covered with hay, but this was a few years back and I wouldn't use this now. Their floor had plain printer roll, the type used for newspapers before it's printed on. Their hay was put in the litter tray on top of sawdust to encourage them to nom. In their sleeping area it was full to the brim of hay, with the same paper flooring.

My bunnies are indoors at the moment. They have a 6 foot by 6 foot run in my dining room and they have lino on the floor and sleep on vetbed. In their litter tray they have megazorb and I find it works brilliantly. They have their hay in a rack over the littertray so they can sit and nibble whilst doing their stuff. :lol:

My bunnies are indoors at the moment. They have a 6 foot by 6 foot run in my dining room and they have lino on the floor and sleep on vetbed. In their litter tray they have megazorb and I find it works brilliantly. They have their hay in a rack over the littertray so they can sit and nibble whilst doing their stuff. :lol:

This is basically my setup too. Except their run is smaller and they have access to the room it is in which is carpeted, but hopefully before the year is out the room will be linoed too.

If you get a suitably large litter tray then just lino is fine. Mine very rarely wee on the lino so I just sweep up any stray hay and poos - usually more hay than poos. We also have a shelf which is covered in vetbed. As it's up it doesn't get covered in hay.

My biggest bugbear is the carpet as hay sticks to it and hoovers don't pick up poos very well. I cannot wait to get the rooms linoed.

Back