• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I saw a fox last night:shock: ....At the front of my house...there were paw prints outside of Sophie and Granites hutch :?

I knew this time would come,as I knew they lived on the other side of the grave yard, and obviously in the grave yard would be prime pickings.

I just hope he doesn't pick Granite and Sophie. Think I might be having a rethink about set ups :(

Do you have padlocks on all the openings? Proper galvanised wire mesh? I would double up on the mesh, put it inside and outside the doors. If they have runs that aren't fully enclosed and secured then lock them in the hutch at night. :?

With all of the snow we've had, you can clearly see each day that we have foxes visiting overnight - fresh foot prints in the snow every morning.

Very large foot prints too so probably a mature fox. I guess they will be really hungry in this weather.

With all of the snow we've had, you can clearly see each day that we have foxes visiting overnight - fresh foot prints in the snow every morning.

Very large foot prints too so probably a mature fox. I guess they will be really hungry in this weather.

That is what OH said last night. Everything is Galvanised, but think I might be moving things around to make sure they are completely safe.

Cheapest place to get more wire mesh.

I know where the weak points are in my set up, Im going to leave work early to sort it out. Not going to join the new run until I know they will be completely safe.

MIL is not coming up to us as the ice/snow is so thick, so I might have a few struggles ove the next few days :(

male human urine sample-put in container then sprinkle around the hutch perimeter.
don't know if this works but is supposed to scare off fox as fox scared of male human scent but not female human.worth a try as an additional measure?-sue:wave:

At least you know you have a fox or more likely foxes, its the people who don't think they have any that are more vulnerable in my opinion. I think everyone has a fox so we should all beware.

We had a fox who had a summer lay-up under our large conifer at the bottom of the garden, we would part the branches and look in and he'd just look back at us! Our old bun lived harmoniously with him for quite some years - he obviously had an easier food source, some of the neighbours used to leave food out for them.

I don't think that particular fox is around anymore but we definatley have a new one in its place.

We've had a few visits from foxes this year, and they play a few gardens down from us every single night. But all my buns are safely locked in sheds at night.

Hope you can make your accommodation safer :wave:

I too have noticed fox prints in the snow the last few days (no surprise as wer are near wood and fields). What i can tell from the foot prints is that the foxes do not hang around long, it is mainly one line of prints, they walk up to floss's run and then up the garden (not even gone up to the shed which is where she is), or close to Clogg's hutch! Also with the footprints you can easily see where they are coming in etc.

You need to make sure that the hutches are all very secure with bolts etc. I think it's best to cover them at night so the foxes can't catch site of the rabbits (because in my opinion if they can see them they will hang around for longer) (they will still smell them but there's not a lot you can do about that). Just make sure that they are secure every night, foxes are oppertunists so will notice if it's not quite secure on day and take advantage.

It when you start getting them during the day it's worrying :(

Hannah

Back