• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel sad after a trip to a pet shop...

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I'm sorry if this is of no interest to anyone and I dont know what anyone can say or do to make it better.

I am feeling a bit sad, no very sad, after going to my local pet store (yes it was Pets at Home but this isnt a "lets have a go at P@H" thread).

There are LOADS of babies in there waiting for homes. I feel sad because some won't have their homes before Christmas and will be in the store for their first ever Christmas (not that they know it is Christmas of course, but I am guessing they will get minimal attention over the period). I hope that someone goes in at least twice a day to check on them. At least 4 different compartments were dedicated to baby rabbits, each with 5-7 bunnies in. One had a sign saying they were still in quarantine and could not be sold until tomorrow. So only two days for homes to be found before the long closure of the store. :(

There were also loads and loads of hamsters, and some were dwarf hamsters that had tiny cages and they were whizzing up and down the sides trying to climb out because it was so small for three of them. And two of them were fighting.

Then there was the rabbit in the Adoption Centre that had been given up. It said he was shy and nervous and needed love and attention to bring him out of himself. I hate seeing these sad little bunnies. He was really frightened by all the noise in the shop and kept stamping his foot. Poor little man. I'd love to offer him a home but cant at the moment.

It broke my heart to see all these lovely little faces in there and to not know what fate awaits them. Some will have lovely forever homes but some will not and that breaks my heart. :cry::cry:

I swear going in to Pets at Home is no good for my mental health, and think I may have to do all my shopping online from now on. I only go in there when I am short of something but it really wasnt a good idea to go in 2 days before Christmas. :(

Probably being overly-sensitive but had to get it off my chest. I know worse things happen and better that they are in a warm store awaiting homes than outside in the cold.

I too can't bear to think of the poor little rabbits that will end up in sub standard homes :( Rabbits get such a raw deal, small hutches are not the right environment for them, not enough space and no way to exhibit their natural behaviour.

I bought Louie from Pets at Home completely on impulse after losing my last rabbit. How many other people buy on impulse but then lose interest?

Heartbreaking :(

Oh Helen I did the same thing at the weekend. Was in PaH for some litter and there was a bunny there in the adoption section who had been given up because he was spraying everywhere - but rather than neuter him his owners surrendered him to PaH. When I spoke to the manager (just chatting while I wa paying) he said they had got 7 bunnies for adoption out the back int he warehouse as they only had space on the shop floor for one at a time! Poor little things!

:wave: I can imagine how you feel, I won't be going in to mine now (have stocked up already). Its awful - in some ways they are probably better in there though at least they are in with their litter mates and not out in the cold in a hutch alone. I do think my local store have some nice staff though and they do encourage people to buy 2 not one. They also give lots of advice and a info pack and starter kit with lots of info in. I wasn't completely 'new' to buns when I got Gizmo as a baby in July and I felt they were quite thorough with me - although I was served by an older lady who has giants at home indoors and knows her stuff. I take comfort in the fact they have her and some older staff in there and I am sure the animals in there aren't too badly off especially when I think about the set up I saw last week and some of them are getting the 'chop' for Christmas :censored:. As my mum said to me - you can't rescue all the animals in the world, you can only play your part however small to do the right thing for yours and try to help educate others. I know there are a few teachers on here - I think thats the key for the future education for the young ones now. I am encouraged that a lot of my friends have kids and they certainly seem to be very compassionate and interested in doing the right thing, the internet hopefully although can be a vehicle for horrible things can also be a good thing in spreading good practice. In the future I think PAH will stop selling these animals - if the animal welfare act becomes law they will have to or be prepared to have a much larger and suitable set up for them whilst they are in their care. Don't let it play on your mind :love::love:

Back