• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets

Let us hope then that if your rabbits never have anything more serious than something antibiotics will fix, as it seems you would prefer they were put to sleep. If you do not understand what i am saying, I suggest you read the article.
This vet (still registered with the royal college but as a non practising member) has spent all his time as a cattle vet and has a book about to come out. if he is so ashamed, why is he still paying royal college fees? Clearly he still wants to be referred to as a MRCVS.

Let us hope then that if your rabbits never have anything more serious than something antibiotics will fix, as it seems you would prefer they were put to sleep. If you do not understand what i am saying, I suggest you read the article.
This vet (still registered with the royal college but as a non practising member) has spent all his time as a cattle vet and has a book about to come out. if he is so ashamed, why is he still paying royal college fees? Clearly he still wants to be referred to as a MRCVS.

well said :thumb:
I'm not going to write a long reply as i already commented on the other thread. I hope you have a good relationship with your vet and he/she doesnt take offence and your low opinion of them. There couldnt be a more biased, unbalanced article on the isses raised.

There will always be financially driven people in any profession but I genuinely beleive the veterinary profession has far fewer than other careers. Personally I hate charging for things but if I didn't the practice would struggle and I'd be fired pretty quickly!
The writer is not the most honourable representative himself, as evidenced in another interview:
"I always knew the veterinary controversy would be of interest to the press. It is my ace in the pack and so I have managed to convince the Daily Mail to run a double page spread on it in the next couple of weeks. That should generate a bit of publicity and inspire people to find out more by buying the book. If the Daily Mail article doesn’t work I will just have to keep plugging away."

Thanks Jane I didn't know this had been covered on here before.

I have two main problems with vets.

Prices - vary so much from vet to vet. None of them are cheap but some of them are extortionate. My nearest vet which I used for years is in are very poor part of the city, very working class and lots of unemployed even before the recession but they are one of the most expensive. When I became more vet savvy I phoned round a number of practices to compare prices. It does not suprise me that many people do not seek treatment for their animals or get them neuterd/spade when you look at the costs. You can be quite low waged and still not qualify for the PDSA so have no alternative but to go private. I was so disgusted when I found this out that I sent a letter to the Board of Directors expressing my concerns. Expensive vet/poor area. They didn't respond. There will be those who will say you shouldn't get pets if you can't afford them, this also goes for children in my opinion but we do not live in a perfect world and many people still have pets (kids) regardless.

Unnecessary suffering - I always seek treatment if my animals are ill. I also believe in preventative treatments. With a serious illness I belive if this can't be fixed after a certain amount of treatment as responsible owners we shouldn't carry on putting our animals through prolonged suffering/procedures. Unlike humans they don't know what we are doing is out of love. To them it must be like torture, so much fear and stress. I think a lot of it is for our own benefit because we don't want to lose a animal we love. If an amputation is needed and after thet an animal will be fine then I would go ahead and have an amputation.

My cat has had a leg removed due to bone cancer but after that needed no further treatment. If the cancer reappeared else where then I would have her pts as she has already been through enough. She is absolutely terrified to go to the vets now, she freaks when she sees the cat carrier. This poor little cat now has diabetes and I insuline inject her everyday which she is fine with. When we go to the vets for frequent check ups sometimes they stab about on her trying to get blood for a fructose test and sometimes she screams out because they take 3 or 4 attempts and usually end up shaving her neck and taking the blood from the jugular. Sadly she is not responding to the insulin, she is on a prescription diet, she has also stayed in at the vets over night to have a glucose cycle done but now enough is enough. I will carry on with the diet and the insulin injections but as soon as she shows signs that she is feeling ill I will call it a day and let her rest (pts) it will break my heart but it will be best for her. I am not having anything else invasive done to her.

My last vets visit we had 1 glucose test done and 1 fructose test done the cost was £98. I believe this vet to be one of the cheaper ones too.

Rabswood

Back