• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Thnk She Could Be ......ud---- she is now bald on her tum

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
PREGNANT??????????????
coco and rexy have been together for 18 days as a couple.
rexy was neutered 6 weeks earlier than this .
coco has started to gather up the bedding in her mouth and place it in a corner , i have never seen her do this before. if she is pregnant at what stage does nest building start?
or do you think it could just be a phantom pregnancy??
coco is 19 weeks old .
thanks
claire:wave:

Last edited:
Has Coco been spayed? If not then it probably is a pseudo (false) pregnancy. It could be triggered by the scent of Rexy. But i really know nothing about pregnancy etc. Hope she is not though.

hmmm, there could be a chance, but I would think it was very slim.

Autumn did this when she was un neutered and went in with my neutered boy. He had been neutered long before, but it was impossible to tell what life she had had before, as she was with a private person who bred and ran a bunny hotel, and they had taken her in from a friend to rehome.

In the end she was having a phantom, and I put it down to Chralie driving her hormones wild :)

Given his age & the 6weeks gap, I would say it was unlikely she was pregnant - long as you are positive of your dates;)

If she's not spayed, she might well be having a phantom. If it's pregnancy - babies will be born usually within hours of nesting. If it's phantom, it may go on a while, & she may trash nest

ETA: there was a couple of people on here whose buns got preggars 4-5 weeks after male neuter, but I think it's very slim:D

Last edited:
It is probably a phantom. If the male was neutered for 6 weeks before they were put together then unless the operation wasnt carried out properly it is fairly impossible for her to get pregnant.

tabby has done this twice - once before matthew was neutered - i don't think i'll ever forget her standing up near his cage (temporarily confined in case of copulation just prior to mislaying his plums) and ripping the fur off her chest in great chunks - and once just after i'd booked her spay (who says she doesn't listen to my phone calls? :lol:)

no babies, either time.

they are in a homemade to tier hutch and today i have cleaned it out and given fresh bedding etc and she has cleared the whole of the bottom layer out and dragged it all up to the top level, they wont be cold tonight thats for sure:lol:
( they are indoors for the winter)

have just checked on them again, they have their hutch open during the day with the indoor alley as the exercise run , they have litter trays in various places and she is even taking all the hay and straw out of them to.
i have looked at her and she doesnt look any fatter.

If she is having a false or genuine pregnancy, then her hormones are going to go nuts, so watch out for her being territorial, and watch out for them fighting.

Bunnies don't always get bigger if they are pregnant, so that's not a good indicator.

ok i will keep an eye open, she is pulling her fur out now, rex is sitting in the middle of the nest, as she has built it around him, what is the length of pregnancy for a bunny. 19 days is how long they have been together

28-33 days, although 31-30 is the average. Fur is normally the last thing they do, so I think we can safely presume this is a false. This was a known risk of bonding an unspayed girl. She will probably go through this periodically until you get her spayed.

Rabbits can make nests 2 weeks before giving birth, so don't destroy the nest just in case she is ;)

coco made up a nest but i think rexy kind of flattened it, she has completley balded herself on her underneath by pulling her fur out for the nest, she is not behaving at all normally but touch wood they are still getting on ok..

it's not what i had planned, but we have plenty of room and plenty of empty hutches and a shed conversion planned for spring, so it would not be the end of the world,
poor girl is seriously bald underneath:cry:

Back